Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I would take a decent frame rate over any 4k fuckery. Performance is the issue for most Switch stuff. I guess 4K is an easier selling point than "the games run well now!" though.

Depends how dedicated the DLSS hardware is - if it's tensor cores, the hardware wouldn't be doing anything better anyway, if it's some kind of custom semi-dedicated thing then it might be using resources that could be dedicated to resolution.

I feel like the catalog is split into games where native res and 60Hz are already prioritised over everything else and games that are so far away from native res 30Hz that not even an upgrade will bring them to a decent 1080p-max res at 60Hz.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If something supports 4K rather than games running natively at 4K, is that comparable to those 'upscaled' dvd players that appeared shortly after BluRay devices? i.e: better than nothing but a bit shit compared to the real thing?

Eh the techs a bit better than that these days.

Upscaling is really good now and probably makes more sense than chasing the power needed to do native 4k. Some of the PC upscaling tech nvidia has for example can produce a better image than native 4k.
  • Never gets old :-)

How can it get old if they NEVER RELEASE IT?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Seinfeld I'm Out.gif I think. Surely upscaling is the only even remotely sensible route to 4K going forward then, as that way games could run in faux yet indistinginguishable 4K at 60fps (or higher), with Ray Tracing doing his thing?

Edit: in general I mean, rather than Switch talk.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Seinfeld I'm Out.gif I think. Surely upscaling is the only even remotely sensible route to 4K going forward then, as that way games could run in faux yet indistinginguishable 4K at 60fps (or higher), with Ray Tracing doing his thing?

Put it this way, a current Switch running at 1080p on my 4K telly looks a bit sad, like watching SD on a first-generation HDTV was - not quite as bad but you catch my drift. But I can play Spider-Man set up to render at around 1080p on my PS5 and with the image reconstruction techniques and using the 4K HDR container, it looks amazing. It's not so much about the raw render resolution, but more about the console having the ability to address the 4K format so it can display in HDR and actually attempt to reconstruct the image in 4K.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Seinfeld I'm Out.gif I think. Surely upscaling is the only even remotely sensible route to 4K going forward then, as that way games could run in faux yet indistinginguishable 4K at 60fps (or higher), with Ray Tracing doing his thing?

Edit: in general I mean, rather than Switch talk.

You are correct.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    DLSS works. That’s the way to go. No point to even try to go native. Most people outside DF won’t notice unless they are 2ft from a 4K set. I was doubtful after DLSS 1.0 on Nvidia cards, but V2 was a massive improvement.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Insiders on ResetEra are suggesting it's a 'meaty' upgrade and will have exclusive games, although mainly from third parties.
  • Play Mario Odyssey 2 exclusively on Nintendo Switch Pro, available from all good scalpers for the low low price of double the RRP.
  • Luckily still had Gold Discount on shopto so got Mario Golf preordered for 40 notes. Class, imo.
  • I'll get that thread done in the rum up to launch. Or preferably, retroking will do it again for extra stat tracking and general excellence...
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Thoroughly enjoying Bravely Default 2 now that I’ve unlocked a few job classes. Also surprised by how restrained it all feels. They’ve dialled back the silly, the dialogue isn’t anywhere near as bad as the two previous games, and there’s some half decent voice acting this time around. Also, Adelle sounds familiar; haven’t checked, but sounds like Fran from FFXII.
    Get schwifty.
  • Playing Smash with the kids with the new character(s).
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Thoroughly enjoying Bravely Default 2 now that I’ve unlocked a few job classes. Also surprised by how restrained it all feels. They’ve dialled back the silly, the dialogue isn’t anywhere near as bad as the two previous games, and there’s some half decent voice acting this time around. Also, Adelle sounds familiar; haven’t checked, but sounds like Fran from FFXII.

The dialogue and voice acting is great throughout. Just wait until you reach the latter half of the game though, job stuff gets crazy good. Some mad combos available.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Also, Adelle sounds familiar; haven’t checked, but sounds like Fran from FFXII.
    Probably because it's basically the same character. Not much originality going on.
  • QUBE 2 for 2.29 quid, 90% off. Has been on my wish list for years it seems, and I can’t quite remember why but with gold coins discount I got it for 1.78. Hope it’s decent! Looks alright from the videos. Kind of a Portal clone first person physics room puzzler it seems.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Have you played the first? They're pretty similar, but I enjoyed both!
  • Ha, good point. Nope, haven’t played the first. Is it on Switch also?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wikipedia suggests not. No disaster though, just don't go playing the first after and expect anything different!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Switch running at 1080p on my 4K telly looks a bit sad

Is why I don't like 4K tellies. Great for photos, but games have texture packs and they'd benefit far more from clear motion.

I think a 60Hz 720p LCD is okay for the Switch, but it should've been 7" without those borders at launch. It looks like a designer just figured they'd go with a 7 and was told to revise at the 11th hour. And since they weren't launching at Christmas I think they should've delayed a bit for the newer Tegra.

So to me it sounds like the Switch 2 is what the original should've been. Better late than never, I guess.
  • Cleaned my screen and it’s literally full
    Of scratches from going in and out of the dock - poor design as the inside is all hard plastic.

Also on my lite the incredibly thin piece of plastic between where the cartridges go in and the screen has cracked.

If they do do a re-design there’s a lot more than just better screen and more power needs looking at
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Soinds shit now, because the structure of the system is to fault, but shoulda joined the orzly gang. From day one we knew the shit was a scratch zone. My orzly screen has been replaced once because it helped my switch survive a drop, but it is immortal over.
  • Yeah I got an orzly on release, still immaculate.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I’ve got the official screen protector so presumably I can remove it and put a new on but it still smacks of poor design when the THING SCRATCHES ITSELF!!!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    I’ve got the official screen protector so presumably I can remove it and put a new on but it still smacks of poor design when the THING SCRATCHES ITSELF!!!

As did the original ds and ds lite and 3ds.

PSN - minkymu
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Hmm, it's a tough one. On the one hand it's bad design and there have been reports of the dock scratching protectorless consoles, but on the other, if you've stuck on a plastic protector it is slightly increasing the thickness of the console and the protector may actually be more scratchprone than the plastic the Switch is made out of. Ultimately it's done what it was designed for, which is enable you to dispose of the protective layer on the screen if it is damaged - like others have mentioned, my Orzly is still immaculate so maybe it'd be better to replace with one of those.
  • I got an Orzly day 1 and it went on the Switch straight after it came out of the box September 2017. Still immaculate and not needed to change it once. I now put such screen protectors on most mobile devices, iPhone etc. It is a design flaw but one that every mobile screen has in my opinion - they all benefit from the added protection that a good (slim, doesn’t affect touch sensation etc.) protection screen provides.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!