adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Patching still seemed pretty awkward on 3DS. If you look at PS4 and Xbox One X, huge numbers of games got patched to utilise the additional power so hopefully lots of games will end up tapping into that even if they aren't exclusive.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Needs to have batter battery life too. No point being more powerful otherwise in my eye s
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'd expect redesigned Joycons on a Pro console but if the existing ones don't work, deary me. I'm useless at predicting what Nintendo will do so I'll just expect the worst.
  • The n3ds also had the SNES games on it. And while there were games that worked on old 3ds they were basically unplayable on old 3ds (eg hyrule warriors - which was borderline playable on n3ds)

I think it was a good update - it really was what the 3ds was supposed to be imo.
  • Wonder if they'll do a switch Pro which isn't portable. Just a 4k Nintendo home console
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The Switch-Off?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The n3ds also had the SNES games on it. And while there were games that worked on old 3ds they were basically unplayable on old 3ds (eg hyrule warriors - which was borderline playable on n3ds)

I think it was a good update - it really was what the 3ds was supposed to be imo.

Glad you got something out of the console and opinions differ etc, but the N3DS sits below the 32X on the WTAFF scale for me.
  • Hey man I got that ambassador plate.
  • There's no accounting for exquisite taste.
  • The analogue and the 3D eye tracking were also important updates I think.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    The Switch-Off?

They’ve got form with the switch lite which is also doesn’t switch.

The Forum Herald™
  • Frosty wrote:
    The new 3ds was pointless for that exact reason. I just looked it up and it had 7 "exclusive" games that would only run on it.

Only thing they can do is have the games work on all switches but obviously running better on the powerful one.

On the flipside the GameBoy Color had hundreds of exclusives, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I think the incremental upgrade route could suit the Switch, but it must have 100% backwards compatibility and should definitely implement improved performance for older games.

I know this isn't the point but the colour was nine years after the og gb so was basically a brand new system. Colour is also a pretty damn big upgrade.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Oh yeah, the eye tracking from the New 3DS was a bit of a game-changer, moved the primary gimmick of the system from 'a bit broken' to 'actually functional'.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nintendo don't seem to give a hoot about Metroid.

Metroid, Pilotwings, Starwing and F-Zero are the lost games. They were all major reasons to get a SNES and I considered no-brainers as next gen franchises. At least some lasted another gen or two.  :(

It's telling they were all farmed out over time (Retro, Paradigm, Rare and Sega respectively).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Nintendo don't seem to give a hoot about Metroid.

Metroid, Pilotwings, Starwing and F-Zero are the lost games. They were all major reasons to get a SNES and I considered no-brainers as next gen franchises. At least some lasted another gen or two.  :(

It's telling they were all farmed out over time (Retro, Paradigm, Rare and Sega respectively).

I don't think Metroid has been relegated to the depths of those other three just yet, maybe not even Star Fox although at best its legs are wobbling after Zero on Wii U.

The other two seem dead now though, along with Waverace and 1080.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The analogue and the 3D eye tracking were also important updates I think.
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Oh yeah, the eye tracking from the New 3DS was a bit of a game-changer, moved the primary gimmick of the system from 'a bit broken' to 'actually functional'.

I'm with you two, I thought the n3DS was second only to the GBASP in terms of QoL improvements.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Frosty wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    The new 3ds was pointless for that exact reason. I just looked it up and it had 7 "exclusive" games that would only run on it.

Only thing they can do is have the games work on all switches but obviously running better on the powerful one.

On the flipside the GameBoy Color had hundreds of exclusives, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

I think the incremental upgrade route could suit the Switch, but it must have 100% backwards compatibility and should definitely implement improved performance for older games.

I know this isn't the point but the colour was nine years after the og gb so was basically a brand new system. Colour is also a pretty damn big upgrade.

I agree that it should be viewed as its own system, but like the n3DS which is also its own system (exclusive games not playable on the older HW = separate system imo) Nintendo lump them together regarding sales figures.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Some of them rumours: https://www.techradar.com/news/nintendo-switch-2-launch-news-and-features.  2021 release date sounds good to me I guess - maybe I'll finally get one!
  • Any word on when wii u launch?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Never gets old :-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You and him will launch after me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • We'll have more Nintendo Switch 2 rumors in the lead up to the official release date, which – if in 2021 like reported – suddenly doesn't seem far away.

So we’ll have more rumours in the run up
    To something we’re rumouring I can see this going either way
    The Forum Herald™
  • There's been a Smash Direct?  My kids are going mental about the new characters being released later today or something?  I'll check them out with them tomorrow.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 4K seems a bit much for Nintendo games. I'm no expert - having only clapped eyes on a 4K display once or twice in Currys - but let's say Metroid Prime 4/Odyssey 2/whatever aims for 4K resolution on a 'Switch 2' which at a push might have specs comparable to [somewhere between an Xbox One and an Xbox One X]. Please note: I am not a nan, wipe the Series X from your mind. Is it really worth all that extra power going to waste on resolution?

Plus if a Switch 2 is 720p undocked and 4K docked, that's no different from the Switch resolutions for what, 70% of people who buy one this year, given that 1080p sets are still pretty standard. So if Prime 4 is 4K but the framerate gets capped at 30fps to make way for the shinies what's the point on what used to be known as Full HD displays? Also also: whose kids give a fuck about Pokemon in 4K?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    There's been a Smash Direct? My kids are going mental about the new characters being released later today or something? I'll check them out with them tomorrow.

Sakurai was just going through Pyra's moveset

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    4K seems a bit much for Nintendo games. I'm no expert - having only clapped eyes on a 4K display once or twice in Currys - but let's say Metroid Prime 4 aims for 4K resolution on a 'Switch 2' which at a push might have specs comparable to [somewhere between an Xbox One and an Xbox One X]. Please note: I am not a nan, wipe the Series X from your mind. Is it really worth all that extra power going to waste on resolution?

Plus if a Switch 2 is 720p undocked and 4K docked, that's no different from the Switch resolutions for what, 70% of people who buy one, given that 1080p sets are still pretty standard. Also also: whose kids give a fuck about Pokemon in 4K?

It'll probably just be up scaling. There's no way it'll have the power to render in native 4k.

I'd think of it more as supporting 4k rather than the games being 4k.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There's no chance of Switch Pro getting anywhere near native 4K but there are rumours about it having some form of DLSS available when docked which would help it turn a 1080p image into a fairly nice 4K image. Bear in mind that the current Switch often fails to hit native resolution in portable mode and has a fair few games, even exclusives, play at 720p docked. As someone that's upgraded their setup for PS5, the Switch no longer cuts it any more but this rumoured new version should actually address that.
  • I would take a decent frame rate over any 4k fuckery. Performance is the issue for most Switch stuff. I guess 4K is an easier selling point than "the games run well now!" though.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I would take a decent frame rate over any 4k fuckery. Performance is the issue for most Switch stuff. I guess 4K is an easier selling point than "the games run well now!" though.

This.

• If something supports 4K rather than games running natively at 4K, is that comparable to those 'upscaled' dvd players that appeared shortly after BluRay devices? i.e: better than nothing but a bit shit compared to the real thing?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!