Nintendo Switch
  • Not sure whether to Steamworld Dig 2 or wait for Ori 2.  6-7hrs sounds appealing.
  • Just popped into ask a few questions as No. 2 son wants one for Crimbo and I'm happy to facilitate as BOTW and Odyssey look amazing.

But..you can't play FIFA with friends on the Switch? That's half the reason he has for wanting one. Is there a reason for this? Always had reservations with Nintendo and online, is this more of the same or have they made improvements in that area?
  • It's... More of the same. Other games do it, and it's a bit of a doo-dah right now with people blaming Nintendo, others EA. I dunno.
  • Not online, but you can if they're in close proximity with their own console.  Which is a sorry state of affairs, but that's how it's shipped.  The reason seems to be: Nintendo's approach to online is terribly dated, and EA couldn't be bothered.
  • Some improvements, Stoph, but it's not an online ecosystem, it's a limited service. I love it because it's currently free, I don't like online chat and I rarely have online buddies. We've managed B&B games of Splatoon and they've been really good fun. However, every once in a while the maps change and you're kicked from the room. That kind of sums up the service.
  • Fair enough. He'll probably just play MP with his mates on the sofa then.

Whilst I don't think Nintendo should ever compete with MS and Sony, they're always going to suffer from online experience comparison. Guessing Splatoon has no issues online? (Edit- cheers Syph)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Not sure whether to Steamworld Dig 2 or wait for Ori 2.  6-7hrs sounds appealing.

Does Ori have a release date? If it doesn't, get Dig 2 now, if you can afford it. I personally preferred Dig 2 to Ori 1 and I've finished both.
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Fair enough. He'll probably just play MP with his mates on the sofa then.

Whilst I don't think Nintendo should ever compete with MS and Sony, they're always going to suffer from online experience comparison. Guessing Splatoon has no issues online? (Edit- cheers Syph)

I cannot overstate how ace it is being able to do couch co-op again with the Switch. Having a second pad built in is am awesome feature and there's so many games that allow 2 players (Splatoon 2 not being one of them mind).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Although some will defend it, I have to say Splatoon is fucked online.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Stopharage wrote:

I cannot overstate how ace it is being able to do couch co-op again with the Switch. Having a second pad built in is am awesome feature and there's so many games that allow 2 players (Splatoon 2 not being one of them mind).

I’ve been doing couch co-op this whole time on various Xboxes?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I did have to buy a second pad, but still.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Not sure whether to Steamworld Dig 2 or wait for Ori 2.  6-7hrs sounds appealing.

Does Ori have a release date? If it doesn't, get Dig 2 now, if you can afford it. I personally preferred Dig 2 to Ori 1 and I've finished both.

This. Steam 2 is far more enjoyable than Ori I think. Plus the secret hunting is a joy due to the instant fast travel and the fact that getting about is so much fun.

It has so many things I like about games that are missing in the big console titles these days.

Even the music is brilliant.
  • No release date for Ori 2 yet.  Got the money for a treat, but I'll probably ask for EShop vouchers instead of the usual PSN vouchers this Christmas.  Zelda, Mario and maybe DOOM on PS4 will tide me over for now, but I think I'm on the hook for Dig2 at some point.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Was a deal breaker for me. Faced with £50 spend on a game or a pad, I'd get 2 games every time and did. Having an extra one in the machine means it's always available for the impromptu games with friends/family, when you least expect it. I've played Overcooked with folk I wouldn't normally game with in places I wouldn't normally game - like the office. That's what I'm striking at.
  • Kow wrote:
    Although some will defend it, I have to say Splatoon is fucked online.

Yeah it’s mostly fine really.
  • I really like the look of Volgarr the Viking too, but I haven't read anything yet (so it might be wellshit).  If it was called Rastan it'd already be on my dashboard.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Was a deal breaker for me. Faced with £50 spend on a game or a pad, I'd get 2 games every time and did.

Fair enough. For me a second pad has been an essential purchase with every new console. A significant chunk of the enjoyment I get from any games machine is playing with my brother when he’s around.

But yes, I’m not playing in the office.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Syph79 wrote:
    Stopharage wrote:

I'm not sure how many players it is, but I think splatoon has local Co op. It's the building next to the ddr machine. Never tried it myself, so can't say how many players you need /if ai fills up a team.
  • Nina wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    Stopharage wrote:

I'm not sure how many players it is, but I think splatoon has local Co op. It's the building next to the ddr machine. Never tried it myself, so can't say how many players you need /if ai fills up a team.

You need a second Switch, Nina. There's no split or shared screen co-op.
  • 6Hgyddn.jpg

That's my playtime upon finishing my first run lol. Didn't think I'd missed anything and 66%?? The must be a whole area I'm missing because I see you can get 42+ artifacts!?? I've only got 28!!

Brilliant game.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @Syph, didn't realize it needed a switch per player. Not that there's a reason to not own Splatoon imo, so shouldn't be a problem.
  • I haven’t been back to Splatoon 2 since a few days after I bought it. I didn’t dislike it, but it didn’t hook me, either. Online was a mess, and the campaign was just a bit dull. For all its charm and good looks, it’s just a bit off.
  • I could never get over the irritating aesthetic and annoying music, but I have to admit the campaign was a solid effort. I put more time in to that than I did the MP, which says a lot. Having mildly interesting puzzles and some good bosses was just more rewarding than splurting paint about and chasing targets for three minutes. I felt the online matches were deeply repetitive.

I never finished it, but probably would've done if it was less annoying.
  • I started playing the campaign of the Wii U original. Seemed ok to start with but I don’t find myself bothered to return to it. Daughter wants to watch it though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The music is great!
  • Ugh no
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The music is great!

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hmm, expected more Splatoon ain't all that posts, guess you've all had enjoyed yourself in the worst game ever thread enough already.

I'm just happy all of it clicks with the things I like about games, so it might be my GotY, at least top 5.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!