Looking at faraway stuff
  • Me too. The Solar System is fucking massive and getting there is one thing but getting back is an entirely different thing. 

Space is mental.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I've posted this before but it's still great.

• Docking with the Space Station is imminent!

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cool.
  • Actually, I think docking might be a ways off yet, but the live pictures are amazing.
  • The controls are all touchscreen. I presume if you spill coffee on it they can control it from the ground.
  • Ooooh! Sunrise!
  • What feed/website are you using gman?
  • The one up there^
  • Good job Apple aren't involved. They would have a different docking adaptor.
  • Lol. @liv.

Yeh found feed on youtube.
  • Guy I went to uni with is batshit now, swears the ISS is fake, space travel isn't possible because you can't generate propulsion in a vacuum (he's done the maths to prove it apparently). I wonder what he thinks of this, his Facebook atm tho is filled with how a totalitarian regime is trying to control us via the virus and that if you don't disable auto updates on your phone an app will auto-install, track you and you'll be told by the tyranny to stay home.

I should delete him really but it's a fascinating if not scary glimpse into how an intelligent person (he was very smart at uni) can go conspiracy crazy.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Guy I went to uni with is batshit now, swears the ISS is fake, space travel isn't possible because you can't generate propulsion in a vacuum (he's done the maths to prove it apparently). I wonder what he thinks of this, his Facebook atm tho is filled with how a totalitarian regime is trying to control us via the virus and that if you don't disable auto updates on your phone an app will auto-install, track you and you'll be told by the tyranny to stay home. I should delete him really but it's a fascinating if not scary glimpse into how an intelligent person (he was very smart at uni) can go conspiracy crazy.

I'm fascinated by this, because you don't need to go into space to disprove that.
  • It never ceases to amaze me how many seemingly very intelligent people can be suckered into believing the most absolutely batshit mental stuff.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Guy I went to uni with is batshit now, swears the ISS is fake, space travel isn't possible because you can't generate propulsion in a vacuum (he's done the maths to prove it apparently). I wonder what he thinks of this, his Facebook atm tho is filled with how a totalitarian regime is trying to control us via the virus and that if you don't disable auto updates on your phone an app will auto-install, track you and you'll be told by the tyranny to stay home. I should delete him really but it's a fascinating if not scary glimpse into how an intelligent person (he was very smart at uni) can go conspiracy crazy.

I'm fascinated by this, because you don't need to go into space to disprove that.

He's done the science mate, if you believe it you're living a lie.
  • g.man wrote:
    It never ceases to amaze me how many seemingly very intelligent people can be suckered into believing the most absolutely batshit mental stuff.

Yeah it's really quite sad.
  • Well no, he's done some maths, he hasn't created a vacuum and tried to generate propulsion in it. That would be doing the science.

Also, I hope he has Sky, because that would be *chefs kiss*
  • HE'S DONE THE SCIENCE DANTE HE SAID SO
  • (jokes obvs, it's all very sad)
  • I'd also love to know what his maths is.

2+2=5 probably.
  • I'd screenshot his (lengthy) FB posts on it but his feed doesn't go back past 2018, he must've deleted them, I'm guessing.
  • I've heard that propulsion thing before. People think you are pushing against air to get a boost, like pushing off the side of a pool when you're swimming another length. 

You can mention Newton's 3rd law until you're blue in the face and certain people will just refuse to except it. In fairness it's at the deeper end of the physics spectrum, not in it's complexity but in it's fundamentalness. There is no proof as such, unless you accept the conservation of momentum (and there is no proof for that, it just is).

You can however demonstrate these things quite easily by experiment, but the mentals don't want to know. They want to believe idiotic things and hey want to believe all the idiotic things in one go. They never just settle with one conspiracy theory, they tend to believe in most of them.
  • Ahahaha
  • Haha.
    He would hate it up there.
    The place is entirely populated with educated people who earnt their position through posessing specific knowledge useful to the task at hand, intelligence and training.
    Plus they all wear uniforms!
  • Well it didnt take long, im not supporting the following but i thought id mention it for giggles.

Google: "spacex dragon ufo" and you get video clips and stills claiming nasa has been cutting away from shots to stop people seeing "ufos" in and around the dragon capsule. One for the wierd stuff thread for sure. I came across it by accident yesterday. Again dont shoot me for posting this.
  • SpaceX really are good. I didn't realise they sent up another Falcon 9 just 3 days ago with more Starlinks. They're about 9 times cheaper than Nasa at getting a kilo of stuff into space, and that cost is coming down all the time, and it's not because he pays poorly, it's because the engineering is amazing.
  • The reusable rocket system must save an absolute fortune per launch.

I am sure it still needs a substantial service between each launch but the more times it is used the more money is saved. Such a smart move to focus on getting that right.

Also the cockpit being so simple not only looks super futuristic but again must save silly amounts of money. A few touch screens and software versus a ton of hardware has to be more efficient both as a one off but also as things develop.
  • Yeah the software thing makes a huge difference. Burns and docking are AI controlled which means you don't need ridiculous amounts of other mechanical mechanisms to make it doable by humans.

Plus they don't try and over-engineer things that don't work and are quick to abandon and just try something else instead. For the future Mars rocket they ditched all the carbon stuff for the body and are going with stainless steel, like the very early days in the 50's. Admittedly the manufacture of stainless has improved only recently in a way to make it ideal for space rockets, but to realise that and then just throw away the carbon thing you've been working on for years without looking back is the exact reverse of what Nasa did with flogging the horse that was the Space Shuttle.
  • Nasa made a good call by deciding that they would rent LEO vehicles, so they can concentrate on the bigger fish like getting back to the moon and onwards.

The reusable boosters still look like something out of a scifi movie. It seems astonishing that 50 years man landed on the moon (before i was born) and no one has been back since. As for mars, i wonder if politically they could get a one way manned mission signed off. I.e. your going and your not coming back.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!