Looking at faraway stuff
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Nope, we learnt our lesson last time Mekon-2.jpg

I Googled that picture because I couldn't remember whet they were called and Dominic Cummings kept popping up.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Given that orbits mean that distances between "destinations" could vary massively I'd be inclined to pick some heliostationary (if that's a thing, or helio/geo stationary if not) orbits at five locations along the inner edge of the asteroid belt, and if we are looking outwards as well, maybe similar on the outside

The asteroid belt isn't dense with asteroids. I don't think you'd necessarily need "inside" and "outside".

For context:

The total mass of the asteroid belt is approximately 4% that of the Moon
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow, always imagined it to be a shit load more than that, especially when you think just how spread out they'd be at that range from the sun. But yeah seems a reasonable place to have staging posts

The little green guy is the Mekon, was Dan Dare's nemesis, I used to read the Eagle as a kid, we never had those cool American comics. He was from Venus though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • You guys been copping a look at Jupiter and Saturn sitting side by side? Lying in bed with the window blinds down, I turn my head and there's Jupiter, luminescent as fuck. Took a pic with my phone yesterday and you could see the eye at 2x Zoom. With my phone.

(Look SE)
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice - recently got an set of old binoculars out of the loft and was amazed at how clear the features are on the Moon with them. Watched some recorded Sky at Night yesterday and it seems with quite modest equipment you should be able to see Saturn's rings as well with the right conditions.

Have acquired a mount for my tripod as holding binoculars steady enough seems to be a challenge for me. So will be out like the perv the next clear night I get.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Given that orbits mean that distances between "destinations" could vary massively I'd be inclined to pick some heliostationary (if that's a thing, or helio/geo stationary if not) orbits at five locations along the inner edge of the asteroid belt, and if we are looking outwards as well, maybe similar on the outside

The asteroid belt isn't dense with asteroids. I don't think you'd necessarily need "inside" and "outside".

I wonder whether asteroid mining will lead to a global economic change as profound as the industrial revolution.

Who would do the mining? Private industry? Nasa? SpaceX? Huge multinations such as Shell or BP? Would other countries standby and allow USA/China/Russia take the spoils for themselves? (Obviously this is in the far distant future, but im just speculating).
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I wonder whether asteroid mining will lead to a global economic change as profound as the industrial revolution. Who would do the mining?

Weyland-Yutani.
  • Lol i thought that as well.

Cummings-boris, a worse future and a bleaker tomorrow
  • Bought my son a microscope, the exact opposite of this thread.
  • Whats the magnification on it?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Lol i thought that as well.

Cummings-boris, a worse future and a bleaker tomorrow

They'd end up landing on an asteroid that didn't have any minerals in it, and the drill would break on impact anyway, the return craft would burn up on re-entry, and the cunts would still claim the mission was a success.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Whats the magnification on it?
    400x i think.

Nope 1000x
  • Thats really powerful. 1500x is high as they go i think. Plan to get one for my son when hes older and a telescope as well.
  • It is fucking brilliant. First thing we looked at was his bogey.. followed by some pond water, then some blood.
  • Maybe you should look at your dodgy toe through it if that possible
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Bought my son a microscope, the exact opposite of this thread.

Admiration of scale goes both ways.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00619-y

Destination Uranus! Rare chance to reach ice giants excites scientists
    A planetary alignment provides a window to visit Uranus and Neptune — but time is tight.

I really hope we get a mission to these both. We have a real chance of a probe visiting bothbin my lifetime. Nasa make happen !

• Cool, lets hope they dont fuck it up. Or get it stuck in a tree.
  • If it gets stuck in a tree I think we can determine it a huge success.
  • Absolutely stunning false colour xray of milky way.

112972701-newbodynew-nc.png

A German-Russian space telescope has just acquired a breakthrough map of the sky that traces the heavens in X-rays.

The image records a lot of the violent action in the cosmos - instances where matter is being accelerated, heated and shredded.

The map uses the so-called Aitoff projection, which unwraps the sphere of the sky on to an ellipse. The band across the middle is the plane of our Milky Way Galaxy, with the centre of the galaxy in the middle of the ellipse.

The image has been encoded with colour to help describe what's going on. Blues represent higher energy X-rays (1-2.3 kiloelectron volts, keV); greens are mid-range (0.6-1 keV); and reds are lower energy (0.3-0.6 keV).

Much of the galaxy's plane is dominated by highly energetic sources. In part, that's because copious amounts of gas and dust have absorbed and filtered out the lower energy radiation. Sources include stars with strong, magnetically active and extremely hot atmospheres.

The greens and yellows that draw a kind of mushroom feature covering a great swathe of the map represent hot gas inside and just outside our galaxy. This material imprints information about the formation and evolution of the Milky Way.

Some of the bigger splodges are well known actors on the sky. The bright yellow patch just above the plane on the far right is a concentration of supernova remnants - the wreckage of stars that have exploded and whose shockwaves have super-heated a surrounding cocoon of dust and gas. This particular patch is dominated by the Vela supernova remnant. This was an explosion that happened thousands of years ago but a mere 800 light-years from Earth.

Look next at the diffuse red glow at the top and bottom of the map. This is largely X-ray emission from hot gas well beyond our galaxy. And in the white speckles, we are seeing principally the signature of super-massive black holes. Indeed, about 80% of all the sources contained in the new map are the gargantuan black holes that reside at the centres of distant galaxies. They pump out X-rays as their immense gravitational pull draws in and eviscerates matter.

Some of the super-massive black holes making an appearance in the map are seen when the Universe was younger than one billion years old, less than 10% of its present age.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53102718
  • So it turns out the Earth is round, but the universe is flat?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Black neutron star' discovery changes astronomy.

Scientists have discovered an astronomical object that has never been observed before.

It is more massive than collapsed stars, known as "neutron stars", but has less mass than black holes.

Such "black neutron stars" were not thought possible and will mean ideas for how neutron stars and black holes form will need to be rethought.

The discovery was made by an international team using gravitational wave detectors in the US and Italy.

Charlie Hoy, a PhD student from Cardiff University, UK, involved in the study, said the new discovery would transform our understanding.

"We can't rule out any possibilities," he told BBC News. "We don't know what it is and this is why it is so exciting because it really does change our field."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53151106
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Could this be the dark matter I wonder .... or at least form part of it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I mean, if you read the article they do say it's most likely to be a really light black hole, or a really dense neutron star. The theories for how those are possibly created already exist but since this is the first time something like that has been observed everyone will now do some extra looking for other similar objects. 

I suppose the coolest option is it being the lightest black hole ever discovered, which the only current proposed theory for the creation of something like that seems to require a three star system. 

But the real coolness of the article is that the object they recorded was one of two objects that collided in space, one a 23 solar mass black hole and the other a 2.6 solar mass object, the 2.6 solar mass object is what they are trying to work out. But it was recorded using that new gravity detection array thing that uses really long laser beams to measure ripples in fucking space time. That is some fucking star trek shit boiiiiii.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • While I'm thinking about it, gravity is deffo my favourite force. 

i love how because everything with mass exerts a gravitational force, and that the equation for the gravitational force exerted by one object on another is proportional to the distance between objects it can therfore in thoery, never be zero, regardless of separation. Obviously other local larger bodies of mass to an object will exert forces strong enough to cancel out weaker forces, and there's all the stuff about gravitational waves being absorbed as they pass through objects, just like light passing through water for example, so it's all relative, but basically if you had a universe with only two objects in it at opposite ends of the universe they will be drawn towards each other and eventually collide.

Gravity is the real weird science mvp in this regard for me. Hurry up please science and work out if we can artificially create gravity waves, kthx.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • No one can create gravity, ergo Plato, no one can create gravity waves. Where's my cheque?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I mean, if I compress matter into a singularity that's gonna generate rather a lot of gravity. And I should know, afterall I was being compressed by your mum last night.

Whether or not you can manipulate the field remains to be seen, maybe there are substances that reflect gravity waves, that's one way to manipulate their effects. It's a wave, and plenty of things which travel in waves can be reflected or absorbed depending on the material they contact. Maybe as we learn more about it we'll be able to work out how the waves interact with matter as they pass through it.
  • Science definitely needs more your mum jokes :)
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!