The B&B Writers Thread
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    Not bored of the story bored of all the filler you need to put in. I like to be very.. what's the word.. economical with words but then my stories are really short.
    I fucking love coming up with the plot, figuring out what characters I need, giving them all personality and an arc, structuring everything and coming up with action or funny setpieces, but actually filling in all the pages of stuff with people saying and doing shit bores me.

Same. Maybe we could combine forces and employ minions to do such things?
  • So you guys are saying that you should be writing scripts instead of novels?

Sounds like a plan to me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I'm going to rant in here tonight. Rant and rave.
  • No I won't.

It's just a fucking thankless and depressing game is all. My best sale was my first sale and I can't seem to sell anything to the same level again. I've definitely got better at writing but it takes so much time for me to buff anything into good shape and then it's still, like, continual rejection. I know that's the name of the game but ugh it's horrible.

Blah.
  • Pretty sure that's the same for everyone in the creative arts. Even harder for people these days since the internet provides so many opportunities for so many people to gain recognition that the competition must be insane. 

Keep your chin up Tigro, even if it takes you a year or more to finish a piece, if it happens to be the one piece that provides your breakthrough then it was worth the time. 

Now imagine I said something wise in a Bob Ross tone about just writing for your own satisfaction, and then go out there and beat the devil out of your keyboard. Until next time, take care, god bless.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I got a paid pitch accepted and the site pays $20 for an article (1500-2000 words)
  • Or three hours work. Fuck sake.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Don't give up tiger. You're a bloody good writer as we've all seen.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I might start writing erotica under a female pseudonym
  • My mate wrote a fifty shades parody. It was fucking awesome.
  • Cheers guys. I won't give up on writing. I enjoy too many things about it. I'm actually pretty used to critique and rejection. Had a weak moment the other day and after sending something off and getting a rejection within 24 hours I was all annoyed and bleugh.

Had a go at some horror. Something adapted heavily from something else I wrote that Tempy and maybe some others looked at.

It's here if anyone fancies having a poke and giving me some tips! I've been struggling with the ending in particular, and am not sure if I need to do more showing rather than telling with certain earlier scenes.

EDITED OUT.
  • Has anyone had any fun with writing recently?

I've stalled somewhat for a while. I have three stories out on submission that have been with markets for a while (between 6-8 weeks) and one that is being published by a small fantasy publication in either April or June, I think. I, uh, forgot to return the contract for a very long time so don't know when they'll be publishing it now. I did some work on THE NOVEL but it's still only at 15k or so and a lot of that is trash. 

It's saddening that the few stories on submission are all ones I wrote some time ago. I haven't written anything new and short for some time now. Determined to try and knock something up before the end of the Easter break.
  • Has anyone had any fun with writing recently?
    I'm writing a PhD thesis. So no.
  • I am still enjoying making posts on webfora.
  • First draft of a thing I did today. Definitely needs some pulling apart in places and the end is rushed/weak because I became tired. I like the CORE of the idea though.

Here.
  • JonB wrote:
    Has anyone had any fun with writing recently?
    I'm writing a PhD thesis. So no.
    Slip in some Dark Souls references. That'll make it more fun.
  • I've often wondered how different it is to write a song. Never been interested myself, being that I am about as musical as a brick
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    I want to write a 6 part sitcom in Office/Nathan Barley/Four Lions style on gamergaters.

I can see this happening in the near future, Graham Linehan and Charlie Brooker both tweet about gg pretty regularly, still now this long after the original spark, so I imagine that they'd be well placed to mine it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I've often wondered how different it is to write a song. Never been interested myself, being that I am about as musical as a brick

I suppose it depends how you write. I write songs by constantly making notes ALL the time (on the toilet is a classic), so i dont really have to sit down and write a song because i'm always, almost unconsiouly, working on songs. I just wait for a musical idea to complement some lyrical idea i've got kicking around and then it writes itself.

I've tried writing stories and whilst i do enjoy it i find it very hard work. Writing songs is pure playtime, it doesn't feel like work at all.
  • After months of torture I found today that the BBC have commissioned my sitcom pilot. It's going to be on BBC3 and hopefully eventually BBC2. I'm so fucking relieved. It's been a really long journey.
  • Congratulations. Very pleased for you.
  • That's amazing news! Congratulations mate!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Scout wrote:
    After months of torture I found today that the BBC have commissioned my sitcom pilot. It's going to be on BBC3 and hopefully eventually BBC2. I'm so fucking relieved. It's been a really long journey.

Amazing man! Name?!

Kudos bro :D
  • Thanks guys! DS, it's called Rocket Surgery at the moment but the title may change. I'll update along the way and eventually post links when it's up.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Awesome, I'll keep an eye on it. Proper chuffed for you mate.
  • Thanks DS. Outside of family I don't really have many people to tell so it's really nice to share it in here.
  • That's amazing, well done!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Congratulations scout, that's bloody brilliant.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Post in the TV thread when it's due to air, wouldn't want to miss it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!