Holidays
  • MattyJ wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    24 hours time I'm out of here for a month. Get ready for food pics.

Just as my month off is ending... Sad times. For me anyway.

Enjoy!

I should probably post some photos as I ate a lot too and am now proper fat.

Haha. Had some amazing meals while in Canada, food so good. You're still there until after this weekend?

Yeah I have back on the 4th after a detour via Nina!! :D

Get to see the 150th Canada Day and then the 4th of July over the weekend. Should be good.

And I'll be all over the ice cream, sounds amazing.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Get an In and Out burger.

Yeah, good shout. Good take out burgers.

I've found Google reviews to be very helpful in America and Canada, it seems like they use it more here.

Yosemite is so high on my list to see. Haven't been to see the red woods either even though I have been to San Fran twice. American national parks are possibly the best thing about it.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Pacific Coast highway is awesome. There's a beach along it which is full of sea lions. Hearst Castle is a good shout. Pismo and Monteray are really nice coast towns so just walk along the beach front, the boardwalks etc and relax.

Yosemite though...That's just an amazing place. How long do you have there?

1 night/2days.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It was Bun Mee that I was talking about earlier. Had a sloppy bun there and I can still remember the taste. B had one with fish I think which was also very good. You need to enjoy cilantro / coriander though, it's a Vietnamese place. Not sure which of the two places we went to.

We had dinner at a Yoshis, Japanese place. It was good but we felt a bit underdressed, we sat in the front room that just had some small tables and live local jazz. All the people that came in were properly dressed for the night but they all went to a different room. Not sure what that was about, B felt slightly uncomfortable but I didn't really care. There are two places, we were in Japan town (I think) and that was the one that opened second. Google reviews /Yelp seemed to say the other place was better.

We were recommended the Stinking Rose by one of B his old colleagues. Basically everything is cooked with garlic, so that's something you need to like.

Drive down the crooked street in SF.

Can't remember where we ate in Monterey, it was something that was recommended in the Lonely Planet, had a long waiting line but was close to the aquarium, which is nice. Some pretty jellyfish there.
    You can also see Forest Gump's shoes at the pier.

Your going to pass Santa Cruz? Place has an amazing atmosphere, go to the pier. There's an old Rollercoaster and some arcade games and other fun fair things. Get some nasty garlic fries like everyone else while walking around.

And yes, use Google for reviews, Yelp is a good source to. Try to find a creamery, they do cold plate ice-cream which is fun to watch and you can add silly stuff to them.

It's a Dutch article but the links should speak for themselves. That's where I got Bun Mee from, and we also went to L'Osteria del Forno. Good pasta there.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Oh I remember the place in Monterey, must have been First Awakenings. It's a breakfast /lunch place and they do omelets and pancakes. It's in a bigger shopping area, I'm pretty sure there was a candy store in there to, which is crazy. Colour and sugar overload. They have all these barrels filled with toffees and sugar canes.

And another Oh, between LA and Monterey is the Madonna Inn, which has the best cakes, in gonna look for that picture now. 

I hope you're not watching your weight...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    YeZwVszKqRlAgQ8S_TM6A0P2hddso9hYNfMQnxqVBdZg3s7-L7Tssz3QEbquFrKahsz35Xv8w5KsEC2Kc__y6EeBIw6hafUSioE=w560-h330-rw
    o5fQzvWdeZgZlpf0gTFNIzC5mEbaz3pvgq54Stvyc9jUWnI0y4Pdx1-Cv6WfWFXFNaixyAxQWLDIPl6mHtK6xsPRZa0uLvOHO5Y=w272-h330-rw

I don't think I had finished it, which at that time was a first for me, I always finish my food. At least I did before moving here.

The girls there are all dressed up, it's not too far a detour I think, some nice woodwork on the building too.

0MlzFzs17bNgFhWlrFPthHjElpwM8G--1D1ZMxC6nvvmGye2G7ftms3QZj-IO4tXMOBZIGBHCp3iuR9qx5sJ_K4x47V0EqA5-E8=w731-h330-rw

Sea lions, probably at the beach Matty mentioned. We where there in April and the females started changing skins. Smelly business.
  • Gremill wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Pacific Coast highway is awesome. There's a beach along it which is full of sea lions. Hearst Castle is a good shout. Pismo and Monteray are really nice coast towns so just walk along the beach front, the boardwalks etc and relax. Yosemite though...That's just an amazing place. How long do you have there?
    1 night/2days.

Excellent. Definitely go and check out the area with the great sequoia trees and walk around there. It's a wonderful place. There's a road which goes around the whole place, and is worth just driving and stopping every now and then which is what we did. See the Waterfall, El Capitan, Glacier point is the top point I think...

Trying to remember places I ate at along that coastal highway now.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Get an In and Out burger.
    Yeah, good shout. Good take out burgers. I've found Google reviews to be very helpful in America and Canada, it seems like they use it more here. Yosemite is so high on my list to see. Haven't been to see the red woods either even though I have been to San Fran twice. American national parks are possibly the best thing about it.

We lived and died by Trip Advisor tbh, but it didn't let us down at all. Found some brilliant places to eat and also helped us out with things to see and do in all the cities.
  • Bay Area is excellent, you'll have a great time. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is the best I've ever been to. Don't skip on that.

San Fran is a city to wander and get lost in. Climb Telegraph Hill and see if you can find the flocks of wild parrots that live on it. If memory serves you won't be too far from the Italian district after that and with it some absolute world class scran. Fishermans Wharf is a bit touristy but still fun. While there make sure to pop into the Musee Mecaniques which is full of working and playable penny arcade machines from the early 20th century. Great fun.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    AM AFF CYA IN TOKYO
  • This time next week I'll be in Sorrento, Italy to photograph my sister's wedding. Haven't been to Italy since I was in high school and never this far south.  Really looking forward to it.
  • Brilliant stuff Badgers, keep em coming.
  • Enjoy your trips lads!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    If you're gonna have dinner in the area that's connected with Disneyland (it's just outside of the main gates so you probably will after a long day) and want a beer with that, bring your passport. We only had our Dutch driving license on us and even when getting the manager there we weren't allowed a beer. So only our American friend got to enjoy one.

Inside Disneyland I had a huge bread bowl filled with chili, that was decent food for a place like that and keeps you proper filled. There were sold in a small kiosk next to the lake. Haven't seen them anywhere else apart from in a Disneyland 3DS game.

One of B his colleagues lives in Anaheim, but he currently is on a trip in Europe, so can't ask him about for recommendations.

Fun fact about this Disneyland, it's the first one and had an extra level below it. It's for the workers, Disney didn't want people to see a cowboy walking around in a space themed area, so they all had to walk around in the tunnels below. Everything for that magical touch.

All the animatronics are amazing, and you can do the Star Wars VR experience multiple times as they have a couple versions. You can get tickets that give you access at certain times, so collect a couple of things you don't wanna miss out on in the morning and return at the time in your ticket.

Corn-Chowder-in-a-bread-bowl-Pacific-Wharf-Cafe.jpg
    That's the bread bowl.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    This time next week I'll be in Sorrento, Italy to photograph my sister's wedding. Haven't been to Italy since I was in high school and never this far south.  Really looking forward to it.

That's where we had our honeymoon. Amazing place. Get yourself round the Amalfi coast and Capri too.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Bay Area is excellent, you'll have a great time. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is the best I've ever been to. Don't skip on that.

San Fran is a city to wander and get lost in. Climb Telegraph Hill and see if you can find the flocks of wild parrots that live on it. If memory serves you won't be too far from the Italian district after that and with it some absolute world class scran. Fishermans Wharf is a bit touristy but still fun. While there make sure to pop into the Musee Mecaniques which is full of working and playable penny arcade machines from the early 20th century. Great fun.

Yeah that Musee place has some classic arcade machines too.

Also in San Francisco - Chinatown, obvs. We had dinner there and it was excellent. Plus lots of cheap tat shops.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    This time next week I'll be in Sorrento, Italy to photograph my sister's wedding. Haven't been to Italy since I was in high school and never this far south.  Really looking forward to it.
    That's where we had our honeymoon. Amazing place. Get yourself round the Amalfi coast and Capri too.

Yep. Positano is nice, Amalfi itself isn't too bad. And Sorrento is lovely. Can't remember which island we went to out of Ischia and Capri, but we took a nice little bus ride round the whole island in an afternoon!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Oh, are you in LA at a Saturday night? There's the Eat See Hear festival going till somewhere in September I think, outdoor movie every Saturday. They have loads of food trucks, live music before the film and it's a fun night out.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:

Sister just sent me this:

ldZdpFx.jpg
  • Wowzer sounds amazing.

Am in Toronto for Canada Day. 150th! It's a cool city, I want to spend more time here
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Matt_82 wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:

Sister just sent me this:

ldZdpFx.jpg

You have a +1 right? ;)
  • Nina wrote:
    Oh, are you in LA at a Saturday night? There's the Eat See Hear festival going till somewhere in September I think, outdoor movie every Saturday. They have loads of food trucks, live music before the film and it's a fun night out.

Yeah, we arrive on a Saturday.

Holy shit! It's Raiders of the Lost Ark on at La Cienaga Park - that's a must do, thanks for the tip.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    14 hours of travel later we are in the Narita Airport Express train to Shibuya, then a change and one more stop to Shimokitazawa. Phew! Made it here in one piece and buzzing to go out for ginger and honey highballs and karaage with our pals tonight!
  • I do like a bit of karaage, but then again, who doesn't?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Isn't that a metal magazine?
  • Nina wrote:
    If you're gonna have dinner in the area that's connected with Disneyland (it's just outside of the main gates so you probably will after a long day) and want a beer with that, bring your passport.

What's the reasoning behind that then? We're staying in the Marriott right next to the park so this may be a thing I encounter.
  • If you got to the Hollywood sign just ignore the no entry sings and security guards, they're fakes from local residents trying to scare people off.

For Grem, ofc.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Isn't that a metal magazine?

It's Nigel's true Lizard-form family name.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Nina wrote:
    If you're gonna have dinner in the area that's connected with Disneyland (it's just outside of the main gates so you probably will after a long day) and want a beer with that, bring your passport.

What's the reasoning behind that then? We're staying in the Marriott right next to the park so this may be a thing I encounter.

Cos you look under 21, obvs
  • I think I'm safe there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!