Holidays
  • So that's Disneyland done then. Of all of the days planned on this holiday, I was anticipating this the least - I've never been a fan of this particular brand of saccharine rampant consumerism.

I have to say though, I was totally won over. We only did the OG Disneyland, with all the original rides and stuff - none of the new Disney Adventure Park with all the Marvel nonsense. That meant the Indiana Jones ride, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, the Matterhorn and all of the cheesy trappings that comes with the resort.

We were a bit worried that the kids wouldn't enjoy it as much as, say, Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers themed rides but within an hour both boys were loving it and I was too. Isaac turned to me during the Pirates ride and said "Daddy, these rides are really clever!" - I think he appreciated the practical animatronics and puppets over just staring at another video screen. He'd also never been on a rollercoaster either and he fucking adored Space Mountain - which was insanely good fun for me too.

So 12 hours later we're back at the hotel, feet throbbing from miles of walking and everyone having had a fantastic time. Result.

Universal Studios tomorrow - bring it on.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Nice! How bad were the queues?
  • WorKid wrote:
    Nice! How bad were the queues?

We paid an extra $10 for a Fastpass and didn't wait at all. Otherwise, anywhere between 10 minutes and 70 minutes wait. Best money spent all day.

You can book your place on all the rides in advance on an app too, it's very slick.
  • Mauritius weather holding up so far. It's winter, so we had stop start rain yesterday but still warm. A bit windy. 

Today is clear, warm at 26 degrees. Nice.

But sister and her family, plus mum and aunt with us... not so relaxing?

Off or the gym now while everyone else spends boring pool time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    not so relaxing?

Off or the gym now.

I don't think you understand relaxing.
  • We started looking at Florida seriously yesterday. It all looks so cheap (well, doable) until you add in the flights. Family of 5, two weeks, villa and a few parks, maybe £10k all in, more than half of that in transport.

How do other people manage it? Am I missing a trick?
  • Cosby wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    not so relaxing? Off or the gym now.
    I don't think you understand relaxing.

It's alright, gym was ultra shit. Couple of machines, some lightweight dumbells, and a bench with a tiny bar with screwlock. Fucking rubbish. Where's my Olympic bars and plates, eh?!
  • WorKid wrote:
    We started looking at Florida seriously yesterday. It all looks so cheap (well, doable) until you add in the flights. Family of 5, two weeks, villa and a few parks, maybe £10k all in, more than half of that in transport. How do other people manage it? Am I missing a trick?

9 of us in Mauritius, 5 star resort, direct flights with (cheaper than Emirates and rubbish in comparison) Air Mauritius, all inclusive, 9 nights..... £14k. And that's leaving it late when prices gone up.

We (me with wife and our 2 kids) spent a week in Dubai earlier in the year and spent £10k but including some trips and spa treatments.

Holidays are indeed expensive, but with busy day to day lives with working and earning money, it's the only way we get to spend quality time with kids and family.
  • Ideas for long weekends in Europe easy enough to get to from London? Fairly cheap.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Barcelona. Don't rent a van.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    We started looking at Florida seriously yesterday. It all looks so cheap (well, doable) until you add in the flights. Family of 5, two weeks, villa and a few parks, maybe £10k all in, more than half of that in transport. How do other people manage it? Am I missing a trick?

Mrs Hair, organizer extraordinaire recommends trawling the forums here The DIBB

Wor you thinking of going to Universal Studios or just Disneys?

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • No idea tbh. Have three girls of various ages, I suspect Universal would be of interest but I basically know sod all about it. That site looks great - daunting - but very helpful, thanks.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    You're welcome.

Visited Florida with the family three times, hotels though because proximity to the parks.  

If you're set on a villa, I'd like to still suggest staying in the Royal Pacific or Hard Rock Hotel for a night (bit of a squeeze but they can accommodate five to a room) tickets are not included but $80 per person unlimited Express Passes to Universal are.  Without these, you'll spend most of the day queuing :(

Check into the hotel early, and it's a 5 minute walk to the Parks. Room's ready on your return and you've the evening at the attractions /City Walk music and food plaza.

Fast passes are still valid the next day - check out early, leave the luggage with the concierge and off to the madness again!

Edit: Mrs Hair has correctly said that younger children would probably prefer the Disney Parks/Blizzard beach/Typhoon lagoon etc.  Drop me a PM if you want pick our brain.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Not exactly a exotic holiday, but took a day trip to Bournemouth. Beach is really nice (for the UK). Never been before, pleasent day out.

On a side note, anyone been to island of Nosy Be (off coast of Madagascar) or futreventura (one of the canary islands)? Looks like our choices for holiday destinations this year have been limited by zika (the cdc map is depressing viewing) and the fact we can only get away in early November.

@gremill I'm well jealous would love to go to Disneyland and Universal but it's a no go destination for us (damn you zika!).
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Ideas for long weekends in Europe easy enough to get to from London? Fairly cheap.

Any of the usual suspect city breaks. Maybe the south of France or the lakes in Italy?
  • @Dinostar - Fuertaventura is nice, been there a few times. Some amazing beaches if you like that sort of thing.

Holiday is going very well so far - picked up the car yesterday and drove from Hollywood to Pismo Beach today. Arrived about an hour and a half ago - intending to do a mega post on what we've been doing but I'm too knackered. Maybe tomorrow.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah please rest and do that mega post.

B his mom is coming over in September, and we're gonna do a two week road trip, probably has some overlap with yours, so I'm curious about what you'll discover. For how long will your adventure go on?
  • We fly out of San Francisco on the 31st, but have Pismo, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Yosemite and SF still to do.

Just quickly, because the bottle of rum I bought at 'Bev Mo' (the most amazing liquor store I've ever been in) is having its effect on me as I speak, but the drive here was fucking phenomenal - every 20 miles or so I had a 'fuck! I've driven this road in GTA-V!' moment.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Haha, I've heard that a couple of times before (the gta v reference, never played it).

Pacific Coast Highway is a nice one (I'm assuming you're driving that one all the way up).
  • Yeah, as far as it'll take us - there's a big section closed though, after a landslide last year.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Aye, is that by Big Sur? Read something about that, didn't know it was still closed.
  • Man, it's been a busy couple of days. After we did Disneyland we were onto Universal Studios, which meant picking up the car. We got a Ford Escape which is a small SUV by American standards, but big from our perspective. The size of some of the cars out here is utterly ludicrous - the 5 litre, V8 jacked up Dodge Ram pick ups are comically huge.

So my first experience of driving in the US was a 90 minute trip through heavy traffic on a 5 lane freeway from Anaheim to North Hollywood. I absolutely loved it - just the experience of it was overwhelming, passing Camaros, Chargers, Mustangs, Bucks, Semi-trucks like in smokey and the bandit and the odd Corvette. Seeing this kind of stuff was amazing:
    IMG_5412.jpg
    That's Century City - Nakatomi Plaza is in there somewhere.

We went straight to Universal which, surprisingly, wasn't as good as Disneyland. Queues were insane and unlike the house of mouse they don't offer an affordable quick pass (would've been an extra $260 on top of the $500 I'd already paid!) so we didn't ride on much but there was still plenty to see.

Studio City:
    IMG_5381.jpg
    Lower Lot, with Jurassic Park water ride (fucking brilliant fun) and The Mummy ride in shot:
    IMG_5388.jpg

Went on the studio tour, which was really interesting and fairly cheesy but fun. The King Kong and Fast & Furious 360 4D sections were really well done but I loved the practical effects stuff more (how to make a flash flood and a subway-set soundstage with exploding petrol tanker and crashing trains), the Bates Motel and House and of course this:
    IMG_5402.jpg

Also went on the Walking Dead 'experience' which was utter shite but gave a real insight into American healthcare:
    IMG_5407.jpg
    Whereas the Waterworld stunt show had some genuinely impressive stunts and explosions and shit - it performed the rare feat of making me want to watch the film again:
    IMG_5409.jpg

We then stayed at The Garland in North Hollywood, which appeared to be full of the cast of made in Chelsea and staffed by a bunch of up their own arse hipster cunts who took every opportunity to sneer at us and were actively unhelpful at times (refusing to book a taxi for us because we couldn't tell them exactly where we were going). My chip on shoulder may be due to my shock at paying $13 for a pint of average lager though.

I did, however, have a fucking boss shrimp taco with some absolutely incredible fries. So tasty. It was washed down with a watermelon infused pale ale which was also great. The taco:
    IMG_5410.jpg

Next day, it was off to Hollywood for the obligatory tour of the Stars houses, stalker style. But first, breakfast of coffee and a bagel on Hollywood Blvd:
    IMG_5419.jpg
    Then some star spotting:
    IMG_5420.jpg

Onto the Tour, which was more interesting than I thought but also quite depressing. Why was it depressing? We live in a world where Vinnie Jones lives in a $13m house on mulholland drive:
    IMG_5427.jpg

With amazing views of the San Fernando Valley:
    IMG_5428.jpg

The real treat though, apart from seeing Gwen Stefanis house ($35m), the house that Bieber got evicted from (rent $59k per month), Denzels pad ($85m) and the house that Jackie died in was seeing the house that DJ Jazzy Jeff got chucked out of every week:
    IMG_5434.jpg

I'm finding myself quite emotional about mundane stuff like road and street signs - everything I see is just so iconic and representative of things from my childhood and teenage years. I'm taking too many pictures, like a tourist schmuck.

Anyway, after a busy morning and afternoon it was time to head North to Pismo Beach - driving the roads of GTA-V and getting goosebumps every 20 miles or so. It doesn't get much better than driving into the sunset on the Pacific Coast Highway:
    IMG_5459.jpg

Also, here's a gratuitous picture of a spicy chicken sandwich with blue cheese coleslaw, cheese and more fucking stupendous fries.
    IMG_5457.jpg

I'm going to need a chinook to carry me home at this rate.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm only here because I heard there was holiday food

I want that chicken sando
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Great stuff Greg. Love that weird déjà vu feeling when you're in America, is it your first time?

We did almost exactly the same stuff as you in Universal, but it wasn't too busy. I loved Waterworld too, really well done.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I don't see any coleslaw though!

Never walked on the Hollywood Boulevard, first time I was there I was asleep (at had to be at the airport at 4am, B was just driving around till we could return the car), other times we just drove through it. Was funny seeing so many Johnny Depp next to each other. Did you got the pub that made The Doors (and many others) famous?

That's still the weirdest thing about LA to me, so much has happened there, and it has seen some golden days, but walking around in downtown and about every theater is closed and doesn't look that great anymore. I wish I could have seen this 50 years ago.
  • The coleslaw is the bottom layer Nina - inside the sandwich...

Sparky - yeah, it's my first time in the states. Acting like a total tourist and loving it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You need to do New York for that wandering about recognising everything you see trick. So strange.
  • Loving the pics Grem! Looks like you're all having the best time. 
    Hopefully I'll get back to LA someday myself with work. Managed to see next to fuck all when I was there.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You need to do New York for that wandering about recognising everything you see trick. So strange.
    Maybe in a few years once we've recovered financially!
  • g.man wrote:
    Loving the pics Grem! Looks like you're all having the best time.  Hopefully I'll get back to LA someday myself with work. Managed to see next to fuck all when I was there.

Yeah I've been twice now with work and seen hardly anything outside the commute to the office and restaurants / bars in the evening. Next time gonna take some annual leave and see the place a bit.

I did make a joke when we saw a broken down car in Beverly Hills, said must be a banana in the tailpipe. No one said anything. I'm wasted on these people.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!