The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • THIS NEWS HAS MADE ME VERY HAPPY!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It is a good thing.

On a serious note though, shitty times of uncertainty for the staff. All six of them will now be looking hard for jobs elsewhere, which is a bit of a backfire for the company.
  • g.man wrote:
    That's G-Force. Still there to this day and last man standing with the gaming independents. Used to be known as the clown in the town in the CA Games days, but they're actually a nice bunch, and they've outlasted everybody.

I always remember GForce as being rip off cunts. They ripped me off when I traded in my first PC, and I remember games that I had traded in being sold as new. I always took great care of the boxes and manuals etc. Is is still that same guy that owns it? There used to be the tanned owner guy and the guy with the long hair and beard.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • It's the same people. They're just less cunty these days.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’ve never had beef with G-Force. They’ve always been decent with me for trade-in prices etc.
  • I'm with Pidge. I try to avoid them. But, business is business and they're still here so you gotta give them props in some way.
  • davyK wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    Nah, it's a good idea.  Amazon etc... Would start opening shops on the high Street to avoid the tax.  I don't like the man but he did talk some sense in the thing.  It's on YouTube.
    Saw that - there was a lot of good stuff there. His ideas on using the online tax were interesting too. We can't have a high street if we don't do something to level the field. Can't have it both ways. His delivery doesn't help but that shouldn't get in the way of what he was saying.
    I obviously know fuck all about retail but it did seem generally logical.
    Sometimes the answers are simply that.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Doesn't the fact that he's a slimy self serving cunt mean it's wise to take everything that spatters out of his odious gob with a double fistful of salt?
  • The about 10 mins of him defending gig contacts at the beginning, skin crawl alert.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Does anyone have any experience of CEX customer service? I fear the worst, unfortunately.

I just received a Mixamp Pro TR unit for my XBox, and the USB and Optical cables are shonky sniders. Clearly not Astro original cables. It was sold as an A grade unit which should come with all original kit in it. The amp itself looks to be in good condition, although I haven’t tested it yet. It was an online purchase  so bought unseen or checked as I would have if it had been a store purchase.

I’ve emailed them from their website, and I’m just wondering what to expect.
  • I was looking for this thread earlier! The problem with having stuid thread titles is that I can’t find them in the thread index cos I can’t remember what thread is called. 

Anyway. Mike Ashley loading up on Game shares. Probably a takeover on the cards.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Does anyone have any experience of CEX customer service? I fear the worst, unfortunately.

I just received a Mixamp Pro TR unit for my XBox, and the USB and Optical cables are shonky sniders. Clearly not Astro original cables. It was sold as an A grade unit which should come with all original kit in it. The amp itself looks to be in good condition, although I haven’t tested it yet. It was an online purchase  so bought unseen or checked as I would have if it had been a store purchase.

I’ve emailed them from their website, and I’m just wondering what to expect.

Legally you have the right to return
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Legally you have the right to return

The thing is, it was a decent price for it if it was in the condition it was meant to be, but it’s possibly £25 to buy replacement cables from Astro.

The fact that it was so hard to find a contact form on the website speaks volumes, I think.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I got a 360 hard drive off CEX and it didn't work - brought it back - they tested it and exchanged it - and THAT one didn't work either. Brought it back - they tested that one and then refunded me. Can't say fairer than that really. Have had no issues with them in-shop at any rate.

Should have been tested before selling I suppose but I got a no quibble refund. It's more of an issue with online - although if you can return to a shop that would be easier.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    I got a 360 hard drive off CEX and it didn't work - brought it back - they tested it and exchanged it - and THAT one didn't work either. Brought it back - they tested that one and then refunded me. Can't say fairer than that really. Have had no issues with them in-shop at any rate. Should have been tested before selling I suppose but I got a no quibble refund. It's more of an issue with online - although if you can return to a shop that would be easier.

Yes, that is fair. I’d rather just have the proper cables.
  • Well that sounds unlikely - presumably who ever checked it in to stock didn’t recognise the leads weren’t OE spec and they probably aren’t going to hunt down the seller. If they have another one it stock
    They should swap it for you
    The Forum Herald™
  • With cables I think they just check that they are included, rather than being the originals.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    With cables I think they just check that they are included, rather than being the originals.

There is a clear difference with these. The LAN cable and splitter are original, and there is no comparison between those and the other two. The optical was a shitty thin thing and the USB was about 1 foot long.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I was looking for this thread earlier! The problem with having stuid thread titles is that I can’t find them in the thread index cos I can’t remember what thread is called.  Anyway. Mike Ashley loading up on Game shares. Probably a takeover on the cards.

With Debenhams, Game, and the rest of his portfolio, they should just rename every town Lardville.
  • CEX have usually been very fair. I mean, I’ve had some shitty times with certain staff but that’s the minority.

A few weeks back I tried to sell an OG iPad mini to them, and the guy was lovely and gave it to the ‘tester’, who said it would take an hour and half (?!) I asked why, as I have already wiped it etc, but he shrugged so I just wondered off with the kids for shopping and lunch, which was the plan anyway. The guy serving me said it might fetch a fair bit since it was in such good nick so didn’t mind a wait.

I came back in an hour and he said “faulty, no touch screen”. I explained I was using it earlier and it was perfect, but he insisted. I decided to actually bring it over rather than just walk off, turned it on and asked where it didn’t work, and to show me. After 5 minutes of him touching it and it being absolutely perfect, he said “I’m on my break anyway” and walked off. I basically told him to fuck off then and get someone useful, to which point the guy serving me earlier said he could put it all through in 10 minutes, and the guy was a well known cock. I thought it best to leave before I said anything else I’d regret, to which Dylan comes up to me and says “can we go daddy? This shop really smells.”

A high five later and we left. Took it to my local store (should have done that anyway) and they gave me the cash in 15 minutes, and were as awesome and nice as they always are.

So yeah, most of the time you’ll be fine, if you get someone shitty just ask to speak to a manager or pop into another branch I guess? That’s terrible advice isn’t it...
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    With cables I think they just check that they are included, rather than being the originals.

There is a clear difference with these. The LAN cable and splitter are original, and there is no comparison between those and the other two. The optical was a shitty thin thing and the USB was about 1 foot long.

I dont think you are wrong to expect that for an A grade product, I just dont think it is the system the have unfortunately.

I suspect you could ask for a replacement and roll the dice again, accept the cables or get a refund.
    Only other option which is worth a try is to go into store, claim it isn't A grade and see if you can get a refund of the difference between A and B which will help with buying the correct cables elsewhere.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    I dont think you are wrong to expect that for an A grade product, I just dont think it is the system the have unfortunately. I suspect you could ask for a replacement and roll the dice again, accept the cables or get a refund. Only other option which is worth a try is to go into store, claim it isn't A grade and see if you can get a refund of the difference between A and B which will help with buying the correct cables elsewhere.

I think some kind of refund on the difference for the cables would be fine. When I actually tested the thing last night, the USB doesn't actually work properly as the slightest movement on the connection to the amp drops the connection. My original Astro cable is rock solid in it, so at least I know the amp itself is fine.
  • Well they got in touch asking for pics of the cables that should have been in the box. £26 new from Astro, so I'll see what they come back with.

It's promising so far.
  • I bought a B class ipod online. Was scratched to the heavens. Only wanted it for running so didn't bother me. I asked for a discount refund online. Gave me the run around and was generally a pain but they refunded in the end.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Went to game to get yoshi ... boat hasn’t arrived despite the boxes (not marked pre-order) on the shelves ...

Went back at 5. Got a very generous £35 for crapoon2 and a free pre-order bonus gift despite not pre-ordering

Went to the local sweet shop was locked up 5.25 despite not supposed to be closed until 5.30.

Went to the local toyshop to get a mini figure and acquired a loyalty card and an I’ll trust you stamp for the other mini figure I bought.

So all in all the high street is a mixed bag
    The Forum Herald™
  • They have now come back and said that it was bought in wrongly and would have to be regraded. I asked for a partial refund for the cables, since one of them doesn’t work at all, and they said no. Which is pretty shit, in my opinion. They have said that I can return it for a refund but the amp itself is fine and in decent condition. 

I’m in two minds as it was a decent price.
  • Can you take it to store and have it regraded?
    So return it, have them grade it and then buy it straight back if the price suits?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Can you take it to store and have it regraded? So return it, have them grade it and then buy it straight back if the price suits?

I never thought of that. I’m more inclined to just keep the bloody thing and replace the cables myself.

I paid £55 for it, and there are a couple on eBay with no cables for £50. I bid on one recently that went for £60 with cables but I’m not sure what condition the amp was in. I might call the Stirling shop and see what they say. Cheers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!