The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What about a raid?

I'd imagine they will offload the juicy stuff online though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm in Glasgow on Wednesday
  • Some of the joys of life as a teenager on a Saturday have completely disappeared. Suppose it progress of sorts. Spending a saturday going to a videogame shop and looking at the game running on the crt and wondering "wow what's that?" Or flicking through CVG or superplay magazines in WHS drooling over screenshots of some amazing game you'd have to wait months to play (which felt like a lifetime).

There was something exciting about your or your mate having saved enough money for a new game. By 10am you were in town, back by 12pm. The rest of the afternoon spent in awe and wonder playing the game you waited months and months for.

Thats all gone.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The only bits in that that are gone (or even threatened) are the ones in physical shops, those physical shops that may be sold out, or not stock the game you’d been waiting months for, or might have been more than a 2 hour round trip for some poor sods.

I feel these glasses are a bit overly-rose-tinted.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    That was yesterday.

Next week I mean - I've got surgery on Thursday morning
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s this morning.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Stop it
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm already in anxiety mode about surgery. Don't be that guy
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sorry man, was just making a silly joke.

XOX.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's absolutely fine. You're amazing. But yeeeaaahh not right now.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The only bits in that that are gone (or even threatened) are the ones in physical shops, those physical shops that may be sold out, or not stock the game you’d been waiting months for, or might have been more than a 2 hour round trip for some poor sods. I feel these glasses are a bit overly-rose-tinted.

I had a longer thing typed out, but it's gone, so I'll just settle for

What are you on about?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think he's referring to the times when physical shops let you down, and that fact that for a lot of people they weren't easy to get to.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, plus the anticipation, saving and sense of achievement(?) around game purchases still exist, even if the transactional parts of it are now online.
  • What are you on about?

It’s still possible to get excited about games months in advance, saving up your pennies, watching videos and reading previews, imagining what playing it will actually be like, and being excited by its arrival. The only thing that’s missing is an unnecessary bus journey adding to the cost, to visit a smelly shop that’s probably stuck an obnoxiously glued sticker to the front.

It sad for the owner / staff when a business closes, but I’m at a loss as to why people bemoan the death of the high street. It’s a relatively recent phenomenon, and it’s dying for a reason.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I do not miss trudging around high streets for hours trying to make a specific purchase and coming home empty-handed. Not one bit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What I miss is the atmosphere there used to be in a game shop when a new console appeared and was set up in a demo pod.  Mentioned this several times but last time I was pumped up about that was when the Dreamcast appeared and had Ready2Rumble running. Virtua Tennis was an eye opener too but that was later on.

The leaps in tech just aren't there any more so one cannot blame shops for that.

Motorstorm on PS3 was quite a sight - but there still wasn't the hype.
  • I get what Dino is saying.
    Sure magazines and screenshots still exist but there is a wealth of other info out there now, which makes unreleased games less of a mystery.
    Back in the day you only saw a game in action if it was on one of those magazine cover VHSs, on a reel in a game shop, or the very rare occasion there was a TV advert.
    Now you can watch "first hour" videos, previews, video reviews etc. I mean look at the bloody Smash Bros Directs, they explained what the office cleaner's cat likes for breakfast.
    There are more leaks as well. For example the Mortal Kombat 11 roster got leaked by a tester taking a pic on their phone couldn't that in the 80s, the DLC list has also been data mined.

There is a ton of info on most games coming out, too much really.
  • Making special trips to games shops was part of the fun. Hunting stuff out etc. I haven't seen an indie game shop in years. A decade at least. 

My old town, when I was a kid, had two. One was a small computer and printer shop, and word got round school one day that it had started stocking Commodore and Spectrum games. Anarchy ensued. Kids rammed the place after school. I doubt anyone bought anything. Another opened up soon after, and was more console-based and had demos set up. Jammed most times you went in there. I don't have rose-tinted memories about the old days. At one point, I lived in a town with dozens of arcades but no real game shops. So the only thing to do was get one or (with enough whining) maybe two every two or three months. Make a decision on the spot going on nothing but the screenshots on the back, return home and see what the hell I'd just bought. There is something magic and exciting about that whole thing. It's a shame it's gone.
  • g.man wrote:
    HOLY SHIT! 2MHXscl.jpg end of an era :( g.man

Oh no. I’ve been there. Sad day.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Can someone explain what asset stripping is exactly and how Mr Ashley would benefit from it?  Sorry to be a moran
  • Basically buying the company cheap and selling off all it's assets. Stock, computers, till systems, real estate etc.

I dont think that will happen with Game because I dont think they have worthwhile assets, their stock (as in games and that rather than shares) is worthless wholesale.
  • Yeah, that’s what I thought with game.  They appear pretty worthless as a company so I don’t get the shouts of asset stripping tbh
  • It would also damage the high street which is a sector he is heavily invested in.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They appear pretty worthless as a company

Depends how many of the shops they’re in they own as opposed to rent.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    They appear pretty worthless as a company
    Depends how many of the shops they’re in they own as opposed to rent.

None.

Game doesn't even own it's head office.
  • Doesn't surprise me. What the hell is that cunt Ashley up to???
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • To my mind he’s a person who sees value in the high street because that’s where he made his money and he sees all these cheap shops and sees a chance to be the king of the high street.
  • g.man wrote:
    Doesn't surprise me. What the hell is that cunt Ashley up to???

• He already owns 38% so will know the business well.
    If Sports Direct take ownership they can more effectively use their distribution network and buying power to cut overheads.

They wont have much more sway over game publishers I wouldnt have thought but will be able to buy in or have produced more of the high margin tat they sell and use SD's warehouses and lorries for it.
    It will get to the point where Game's model is similar to cinemas, people come for the games like they do movies but all the money is in tat, like it is in confectionary at cinemas.

He will of course change working conditions as well, stretching what is considered legal, just like he has at Sports Direct.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!