The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • I too have had a free pube in a pre-owned game. Traumatic as fuck.
  • Gav, its weird you didn't know about curzon, lots of the london branches are now pushing lots of their products and the one in wimbledon has the cinema above it in some sort of partnership. Sorry I should've elaborated but i just assumed this was some sort of uk based roll out with a view to move more to electronic devices.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Never heard of Curzon either.
  • I assume it's a London only thing, as I've never heard of them either.
  • Dante you've got pull, get GAME to open up a smaller store in Harrow, London. HMV here closed recently so there is nowhere to buy new releases and it's a fairly big centre for a local area.
    A single unit shop would do it, one that gives me and me only extra discounts on new releases and more for my trade-ins.
    If you could just whip off a quick email to head office I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

Small arthouse cinemas, pretty much London based (only 6 cinemas, including HMV Wimbledon). They also own Artificial Eye Films which gives them access to awesome Q&A's with the directors and actors, as well as putting their films online day and date with cinema releases.

They also hired me at their offices about a month ago :)
    Small arthouse cinemas, pretty much London based (only 6 cinemas, including HMV Wimbledon). They also own Artificial Eye Films which gives them access to awesome Q&A's with the directors and actors, as well as putting their films online day and date with cinema releases. They also hired me at their offices about a month ago :)

Bastard!! ;)
  • They aren't helping with the cinema prove fiasco though tbh.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Just got in with a new 250 S after doing the do at Gamestation. Got £70 for the ageing, wheezing Elite, one of the better kept Elites your man remarked, thumbing through the immaculate preserved contents.

£122 for a considerable chunk of 360 and DS software, which they were happy to match and beat CEX's prices where theirs didn't already. Max Payne 3 got me £18, £6 for Dead Rising which I thought was generous, £13 for Mario Kart DS and £12 for NSMB, they even took in my Euro copy of Brink by scanning an instore one. Was gunning for the console and Sleeping Dogs for £199, but it's apparently been a bit of a hit and there were no copies so I managed to get Spec Ops instead of the offered selection of one from Ghost Recon, Lego Batman 2 or London 2012. Even got £10 credit on the loyalty card from the trade ins and a four foot receipt for my troubles.

I will say they were a very pleasant bunch in the Bradford store, things seem to be working a lot better with their new overlords. Chuffed with the S too, absolutely whisper quiet, the old Elite had worked up quite a wind tunnel tone over the years, and my thumbsticks were worn and wandering.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Spec Ops is great but short. Also, sounds like a delightful little experience.
  • I did a similarthing in Gamestation when I got my Gears 360 console. The girl was trying to get me as many freebies and extras as she could, I think Gamestation is my preference for high st shopping.
  • Aye, I've always tended to veer towards GS over Game, maybe it's an historical thing as I used them a fair bit before Game took over. It's the same store I used to trade in my Oldbox for the Elite, exchanged it when it red ringed with a month left and no quibbles.

I had visions of it being understaffed and causing bother with the bulkiness of my trade in but there were three eager staff on, one girl, two fellas and the whole operation was as smooth as. No pushing of warranties, cables or extra tat, done and dusted within the space of twenty minutes.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Oh I havent forgotten about Duke Nukem webbins ( well i have but ya know). I will send it tommorow
  • Their margin will be a bit shit. No deposits either? Tut tut.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Their margin will be a bit shit. No deposits either? Tut tut.

Hassle free shopping without being pushed stuff? Repeat customer.
  • Seems the Game in my area is recruiting for 'an exciting new project!'.
    What is this exciting new project you ask?
    They're reopening Gamestation.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Last time I was in town I saw that Game have finally closed one of their two stores in Aberdeen.  Unfortunately they've closed the generally-better-managed-and-always-better-stocked-despite-being-smaller Union Street store, leaving the bright-and-breezy-but-somehow-still-devoid-of-stock Bon Accord Centre branch.  Gamestation on Union Street is still a grimy little hole where everything - floor, display units, staff, customers, stock - needs a fucking good scrub and intensive disinfecting.
  • regmcfly wrote:

I can sell things without pushing them. It's called talking to people.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think it's about knowing your customer. If it's a casual shopper, maybe they don't know about new releases. If someone trucked in with a load of games and knew exactly what they were after, I'd reckon theyre fairly well versed.
  • regmcfly wrote:

I can sell things without pushing them. It's called talking to people.

I imagine you are a lot better at your job than most though Dante. My normal experience is someone reeling off some generic sentence that they have said so many times its barely english anymore
    "woodjewlakxbxpuntswidaaat"
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I think it's about knowing your customer. If it's a casual shopper, maybe they don't know about new releases. If someone trucked in with a load of games and knew exactly what they were after, I'd reckon theyre fairly well versed.

It's amazing though how far you can go with a question as simple as 'What's your next game then?' Even when talking to 'one of us' there''ll be plenty of times that they haven't pre-ordered Darksiders for example even though they plan to come in and pick it up 9am Tuesday.

Although reading Live's comment above yeah, I suppose I probably am better than most at this stuff.
  • Game Oxford St closing down in a fortnight... lease is running out.

Not looking good if you can't make a an oxford st branch work..
  • Is that the one that is near enough tottenham court rd?

The thing is, who goes to Oxford st for a game? There are normally more local branches and the big money on Ox st is foreign people fashion shopping.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Game Oxford St closing down in a fortnight... lease is running out. Not looking good if you can't make a an oxford st branch work..

Why?

This seems like a silly thing to say. An Oxford St. lease would be a lot more expensive than a similarly sized store anywhere else in the country with the exact same margins being made on the exact same products.
  • No presence on the most important retail road in Europe? Seems silly to me even if you're breaking even or running at a small loss.

They are in the basement of Hamleys but surely it impacts the brand. Even HMV have kept their megastore open.
  • I agree with Google.

Keeping a store open on Oxford st would be purely posturing.

HMV are different they offer music which fits into a fashion ideal that gaming simply does not.
  • The Oxford St branch was basically HEY LOOK AT ME.

It's silly to keep it with the new company. It's obviously sad that people will lose jobs, though they are looking to move everyone.

Still Blackburn is re-opening, so it's not all bad.
  • mk64 wrote:
    No presence on the most important retail road in Europe?

I guess not. 

It doesn't seem like the most apt place to host a flailing high street videogame store.

I would argue that the standard Oxford St. consumer is not Game's core demographic.
  • This is it.

Thae average gamer has little interest in Oxford st and the average Oxford st shopper has no interest in gaming.
  • but londonnnnnn

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!