The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • Ironically I got an email off game yesterday lauding their new trade in scheme where they vow that they won't be beaten on trade in prices.
    They also have a trade in price checker on their website now. Enter the barcode and a terrible unreadable captcha and off you go.

@Ads
    I think the GAME site might have been giving me as the crow flies distances.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Cheers Dante, on a similar note, I gather Game don't allow you to check trade in prices before you go to a store like HMV do? Will they price match the trade in against HMV?

Game price match against CeX which is your best bet - just have either print outs or links on your phone to show them.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Cheers Dante, on a similar note, I gather Game don't allow you to check trade in prices before you go to a store like HMV do? Will they price match the trade in against HMV?
    Game price match against CeX which is your best bet - just have either print outs or links on your phone to show them.

I think HMV are better for the Limited Edition of FFXIII-2 for trade in, as long as I can prove it they'll surely match?
    Normally I use the CEX price against them. I'll just make sure I bookmark the pages I need.

Thanks to Panty, I can now check Game's prices when I get home tonight, so I'll make sure I do that.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Direct Link. If you have the HMV price checker on your phone then show them that for price match.

The trade in bit of the site is going to be completely overhauled soon I gather.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:

Bradford Gamestation were quite happy to go on my handwritten research, showing game, UPC, Game and CEX data. They could sense the nerd professional in front of them.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I've taken screenshots on my iPad and drop boxed em to my phone.
    Proof with me all the way.
  • went into Rathbone CEX today.Aafter trying to get hold of an anime dvd box set on ebay and always getting outbid, I checked the site and saw they had one copy in croydon.

Seeing as how they have served me 3 boxsets previously of the same series, i felt i'd pop in to see if they could transfer it over for me, as my local does for me all the time with no hassle.

I was treated as a goddamn criminal! The guy was on the cusp of flat-out refusing to help. I thought since the store was empty the whole 15 mins I was in there they'd be happy to just send an email, print out a sticker and write my number down. He said it could take up to four weeks:
    "that's ok, i understand, im in no hurry"
    "thats if they bother to send it"
    "i understand, i would appreciate it if you could help"
    "it might just be easier to go to croydon yourself..."
    "so, you can't do it then?"
    "i can, but im just saying..."

This went on for about 5 minutes before he admitted defeat.

It took him all of 3 minutes after to put the transfer through. I understand about setting expectations, but flat out refusing a customer and telling them to make the effort instead is awful service. He could have lied and said they didn't have the facility to do that at the moment and i'd have just left thinking nothing of it. The tutting and sighing didnt help matters either. Sometimes i wish i wasnt so polite, i thanked him for his patience on the way out...ugh.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Send a complaint to head office.
  • Kill him.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Buy him some chips to make things right between you.

Then shit on 'em and throw 'em in his face.
  • All very good options. He did insult my honour.
  • If you are prepared to wait you coulda just ordered it straight from their website?
  • pantyfire wrote:
    If you are prepared to wait you coulda just ordered it straight from their website?

I did for one of them, but this one wasnt available for order, as there was one copy in stock in one store. I would usually wait it out, but its been ages and it never comes up on amazon and just this once on cex. Its annoying having 3/4 boxsets for a series :(
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
  • pantyfire wrote:
    If you are prepared to wait you coulda just ordered it straight from their website?

I did for one of them, but this one wasnt available for order, as there was one copy in stock in one store. I would usually wait it out, but its been ages and it never comes up on amazon and just this once on cex. Its annoying having 3/4 boxsets for a series :(

Ah ok. I guess it makes sense for them not to allow online orders if they have a tiny amount. Someone could walk in and buy it before it is taken off sale.
  • To end this thrilling tale, i decided to keep an eye out on the website as i didnt trust them to call me when it came in, and the stock would appear on the site in rathbone when it comes in.

I saw it on the site in croydon, next day it came off the site, and the day after one appears on the site... In southport. Luckily it allowed me to order it online (p&p is 2.50 too). And it came in this morning which was pretty quick as it despatched yesterday.

But...Cretins!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It let you order it even though that was almost certainly the one you had reserved? Outrageous!

I'd go into the store and ask for it, then kick up a fuss and ask to see the manager.

OK, I wouldn't actually do that but in my head I'd like to.
  • I'm fairly sure you would do it.
  • I'm going to endeavour to not shop in my local Game again.
    Since my stepson stopped working there the service has gone downhill.
    They treat customers like they don't care and the atmosphere is dreadful.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    adored wrote:
    I'm fairly sure you would do it.

If they were open till 10PM and were between two pubs I was walking from/to I would. Other than that I'm far too polite lazy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really like the guys in my local Game. Decided to finally do a little cull on my 360 games- things I know I'm never going back to like Dead Island, Amalur (haven't even finished Skyrim FFS), Deus Ex (shite) and Halo CE (meh) and so on. Anyway, they happily gave me £1 more on every title than CeX would, and I ended up with £61. Bought a copy of Sleeping Dogs and stuck £20 down for a WiiU preorder, talked to the dude about my Wii "to play" list and went off very happy.

• They fucked up there it's only supposed to be £1 more on the lot.
  • But what's to stop you trading them 1 at a time if they try and do it that way?
  • Nothing. It's fucking dumb I agree.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They fucked up there it's only supposed to be £1 more on the lot.

Again, you say "fuck up" I say "I'll be back".
  • regmcfly wrote:
    They fucked up there it's only supposed to be £1 more on the lot.
    Again, you say "fuck up" I say "I'll be back".

I also say disciplinary.
  • I say, I say, I say.

Actually, what I say is that if I was told it was £1 on the total, I'd go elsewhere on principal.
  • You'd put in more effort for less money?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!