The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • Hey whoa we ask for deposits and give you pointless extras too.
  • Google are you actually saying stores wont sell you NHL on launch fay without a pre order? In Canada?

Like you rightfully say, that is like turning down brits buying FIFA. Mental.

I would say that says more about retarded stores than pre orders. Any store should carry enough copies of the big releases to cover pre orders and day one purchasers. Especially as sports games appeal to a more casual market who are less likely to pre order.
  • Google are you actually saying stores wont sell you NHL on launch fay without a pre order?

EB Games yes.

It happened to me with Final Fantasy XIII (another massive title you'd expect them to stock for the average person).
  • google wrote:
    What about niche stuff, like the NHL game that came out today?
    NHL is not niche in Canada my friend. Dont get me wrong, I could walk into any big box store and pick up a copy. But if I walked into EBGames on a Tuesday (game release day) to pick up NHL '13 they'd look at me and ask, "Did you preorder?" "Nope" "Ah, well, we only have enough copies to cover pre-orders. Come back in a couple of days"

I meant over here. We got maybe 4 copies in on each format. Maybe a better example would be Tales of Graces F. The only reason we got any was my hassling of the Namco PR guy. Every other game in the series we got pre-orders. No pre-orders meant no copies of the game.

But that being the equivalent of not being able to get FIFA over here is pretty fucked. We've done tons of pre orders for that, and will be able to build a fort out of free stock.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    We've gotten about 50 footballs on the back of Fifa soon to arrive. Using them as £2 bait to pre-order more copies.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not opposed to pre orders - hey, big movies coming out sell out screenings in advance. You know you want to see it on launch day? Book.
  • Went to Game to get rid off Sleeping Dogs + 1 other game today, has already done my research and knew CE would give me £32 for the pair. Game offered £16.60 so I asked them to price match. Guy said he couldn't do it without a print out as CEX are a franchise.

So went to CEX for the first time in years, and after queuing forever was told pieces were right but that don't do print outs but they'd write it down (scrap of paper with "£32 EX" written on it, nothing else).

Went to HMV instead, asked them to do the best any price by a quid thing, guy just looked up the pieces himself online and gave me a gift card for £34, no hassle.

I'll be buying PES from HMV on Friday then, and never shopping in Game ever again, fuck 'em.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    £16.60? What a load of crap. 

Game is shite anyway.
  • Yeah, for all the talk of change they're still just fleecing the masses and stuck in the past. Don't deserve to stay in business.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    CEX not doing print outs makes me laugh.
  • It's pretty obvious why they don't.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Daz da funneh.
  • In Bristol, HMV are seriously annoying Gamestation with their 179 3DS XL plus Mario Kart 7.
    GS apparently unable to price match too.
  • I guess it's down to the staff and their willingness to be helpful. The guys at my nearest Gamestation were fantastic when I rocked up with my Elite plus twenty odd games. Didn't insist on print outs when I quoted CEX and were easy going enough to go off my written list. Even when CEX were coming out cheaper they would always take the best price, be it theirs or not, always beating CEX by a pound on EVERY game and not the whole.

Can totally understand the decision to rebrand under Game, but for most core gamers, I think Gamestation will be the most fondly thought of.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • All retail comes down to the staff (and usually the proximity of the manager to the floor staff). If you have some gormless jobsworth twat as a staff member s/he'll only be capable of reeling off the scripted shit they are told to say.

Ive always found the best people are the genuinely pleasant people who dont really give a toss about the corporate side/rules of their job. They'll go out of their way to help you.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • three1ne wrote:
    Ive always found the best people are the genuinely pleasant people who dont really give a toss about the corporate side/rules of their job. They'll go out of their way to help you.

That is how I used to be when I worked in retail. I used to get moaned at but when you are getting sales and customer compliments they can't really say shit.
  • Really wanted to but said head office wouldn't let them because it was a ridiculous price. GS Bristol are excellent usually.
  • I think that is fair enough, if they have made the effort to go all the way to ringing head office there is nothing more they can do really. What was the deal GS were offering?

I used to find giving extras away was a lot easier than discounting what the customer already wanted. So in your case I would have tried to give you some Virtual Console moneys.
  • 210 for the same bundle but without charger.
  • WorKid wrote:
    210 for the same bundle but without charger.

Yeah that is a massive leap. Best you would have got would have probably been the charger for free.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    I guess it's down to the staff and their willingness to be helpful. The guys at my nearest Gamestation were fantastic when I rocked up with my Elite plus twenty odd games. Didn't insist on print outs when I quoted CEX and were easy going enough to go off my written list. Even when CEX were coming out cheaper they would always take the best price, be it theirs or not, always beating CEX by a pound on EVERY game and not the whole. Can totally understand the decision to rebrand under Game, but for most core gamers, I think Gamestation will be the most fondly thought of.

Our local Gamestation is now a Game. Same staff, who are really helpful, but it just doesn't feel the same. 

That summer rental thing that Game did was hilarious. Yeah, I'll buy Far Cry 2 for £14 even though it was a fiver last week. What's that? I can swap it for another £14 overpriced game for a quid? GTFO.
  • adored wrote:
    Went to Game to get rid off Sleeping Dogs + 1 other game today, has already done my research and knew CE would give me £32 for the pair. Game offered £16.60 so I asked them to price match. Guy said he couldn't do it without a print out as CEX are a franchise. So went to CEX for the first time in years, and after queuing forever was told pieces were right but that don't do print outs but they'd write it down (scrap of paper with "£32 EX" written on it, nothing else). Went to HMV instead, asked them to do the best any price by a quid thing, guy just looked up the pieces himself online and gave me a gift card for £34, no hassle. I'll be buying PES from HMV on Friday then, and never shopping in Game ever again, fuck 'em.

I can promise you, that's not a reflection of Game, that's absolutely the individual member of staff. He has a computer in the back that he can go to to look up the CEX prices. It's only for 2 games ffs. It matters not that they are the franchise, he can match the prices on their site.  I also doubt no member of staff has a smartphone, so he could look it up on the shopfloor. Were you even asked to get it up yourself?

Not sure what your other game was, but Sleeping dogs has just gone into the sale mint and pre-owned, so as a result has a lower trade in price which would explain why it was so low. From that price though it sounds as if he didn't even bother to offer you the 33% extra if you got something digital. Complain to customer services. You'll get some vouchers. Spend it in another store, then go in and tell the chap, or his manager if he wasn't one.

Frantic, most of the games in the Swap Shop were £12.99 before going into the offer.

Game will be absorbing a lot of Gamestation values. For a start, this means I can get my lip pierced. It also means our shitty loyalty system will be replaced by Gamestations, so you can take points off in increments of a quid. One of these will affect you more than the other.
  • Wow, you couldnt have facial piercings in Game!?!

John Lewis let me work there with a lip piercing, scaffold piercing and a mohawk.
  • No piercings beyond a single one in the ear, no visible tattoos, no unnatural hair colours. Unless your regional ok'd it. I think any company who has rules like that is completely fucking retarded because it doesn't affect your ability to do your job or peoples reactions to you. Reminds me of Bill Hicks reaction to being cut from Letterman:

I said, “Bob, they’re just jokes. I don’t want them to be edited by you or anyone else. Why are people so afraid of jokes?” To which Morty replied, “Bill, you have to understand our audiences.” This is a line I’d heard before and it always pisses me off. “Your audiences!” I retorted. “What do you grow them on farms? Your audience is comprised of ‘people,’ right? Well, I understand ‘people,’ being a person myself. People are who I play to every night, Bob, and we get along just fine…” “Bill, look, it has to do with the subject matter you touched on, and our new time slot, we’re on an hour earlier you know.” “So, what? We taped the show at 5.30 in the afternoon, and your audience had no problem with the material then. What … does the audience become overly sensitive between the hours of 11:30 P.M. and 12:30 A.M.? And by the way, Bob, when I’m not performing on your show, I’m a member of the audience for your show. Are you saying my material is not suitable for me?”
    I spent last week in Blackburn with a false lip ring on as an experiment. No one even glanced at it. Little old ladies didn't cower in fear, they treated me the exact same way little old ladies always do. Nobody gives a shit if you have a bit of metal in your face.
  • Absolutely.
    I would be more concerned (especially in videogame stores) about hygiene and generally being presentable.

A clean tidy uniform and not smelling like Vanessa feltz's ass hole is far more important. If we are going to talk about appearance.

Edit: not suggesting this applies to yourself Dante
  • Haha, I had a shower today and everything!

But yes, I agree.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The girl that used to work in our Gamestation was seriously sexy, and had a lip pierced.  I miss her :(
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I work with a girl who's literally covered in tattoos. Michael Jackson one on her forearm, Harlequin (of Batman) on her leg, "Daddy's Girl" plainly visible on the back of her neck, Jack Sparrow tat on other leg, Joker tat on the instep of one foot and many more i'm sure i've forgotten or not seen in a while. This is ontop of a bottom lip piercing, sizeable ear stretchers and a pierced nose.

Darling of a lass. Though can be hot tempered with aggro'y customers. Regional head used to be guns blazing over her fashion inclinations but he's pretty much accepted it now. Props to him for that.
  • adored wrote:
    Went to Game to get rid off Sleeping Dogs + 1 other game today, has already done my research and knew CE would give me £32 for the pair. Game offered £16.60 so I asked them to price match. Guy said he couldn't do it without a print out as CEX are a franchise. So went to CEX for the first time in years, and after queuing forever was told pieces were right but that don't do print outs but they'd write it down (scrap of paper with "£32 EX" written on it, nothing else). Went to HMV instead, asked them to do the best any price by a quid thing, guy just looked up the pieces himself online and gave me a gift card for £34, no hassle. I'll be buying PES from HMV on Friday then, and never shopping in Game ever again, fuck 'em.
    I can promise you, that's not a reflection of Game, that's absolutely the individual member of staff. He has a computer in the back that he can go to to look up the CEX prices. It's only for 2 games ffs. It matters not that they are the franchise, he can match the prices on their site.  I also doubt no member of staff has a smartphone, so he could look it up on the shopfloor. Were you even asked to get it up yourself?

Dude, I went in with pictures taken from the CEX website and the HMV app and they still asked for a receipt from CEX. They eventually relented, but it's a reason I'll be trying not to shop in Game in future.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!