The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • Lol, I pushed a 14 year old over at Victoria station McDs because he tried to push in front of myself and an elderly couple and I was horribley hung over. I was also once in Quino Sub, a fat woman (always is) filled her soda up and the bottom fell out of the cup dispensing soda all down her legs and feet, her partner turned to her and said "stupid bitch", I nearly choked with laughter.

I was in Tesco the other week and I wasn't feeling well at all.  Only reason I was there at all was that my girlfriend was needing a hand with stuff.  I was sweating profusely and must've looked pretty drunk as my eyes were rolling about in my head.  Wasn't nice.

I was standing and swaying a bit looking at DVDs when some small child started raking about the toys beside the videogames bit.  Pokemon or some shit.  He knocked a few over and in my dazed state I pointed right at him from only a few feet away and loudly blurted out, "Haha ya wee fanny!".

It was a proper 'did I think that or say that?' moment.
  • lollers
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    One of my co-workers said to a customer "fucking slag, fuck off." He was totally in the right, she'd been given free shot vouchers outside and had consumed them all then asked for MOAR! Cheeky fucking slag, eh? I told her get out almost immediately after.

Don't ask, don't get. Sometimes you get worse than you bargained for.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I gave a stern Wilder style "Good day, sir!" once to an arsey pastor I was serving.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I used to call the local vermin wearing tracksuits 'Sir'. It was a trick I learned from my brother. They never realised you were taking the piss out of them.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Well that didn't work then.
  • We've got a CEX now, no idea how long it's been there, I almost walked past it and I wonder if I've done the same before.

Didn't have time for a proper look, but the display of Xbox games in the window included PGR2 and Rallisport Challenge 2. I suppose they probably won't work in a 360 and the discs are bound to be manky anyway.
  • Don't suppose any of you loveley people who work in these here brick 'n' mortar establishments could have a look in your cupboards and see if you have any 'spare' sleeves for Borderlands GOTY or Onechambara Bikinishitfest lying around?
  • Less conversing about getting an additional pound off your games and more conversing about pushing small children over in Harvester restaurants.
  • Surely this will mean the clousure of shops that are close? I've got a Gamestation and a GAME 3 units away from each other.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I think there'll be lots more store closures to come, but not until the leases run out or they can find replacement tenants (so..when the leases run out)

I genuinely can't think of a more mismanaged company right now. Enron maybe.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The new style game appears to sound alright - free wifi in store, search of all catalogue, gamestation's pre order guarantee carrie over.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also there's a fairly insane game sale on now
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Sorry, I meant mismanaged pre-collapse.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh, absolutely. Comedy shambles.
  • They can downsize until the chavs go home but surely there is no saving the company unless they start being competitive with their pricing is there?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There's still a big crowd that buy from the highstreet for various reasons. Prefer to even.

They just don't need 5 shops within shambling distance in each town.
  • Trust, Game is still seen to be the "place to go" for the majority of the families, as they don't know any better. This is a good move for sure. Catalogue searching is a great idea.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I agree. I think the Wifi could be a secret weapon, specially of they put seats in. Vita or 3DS hotspots.
  • So, Best Buy in Canada has this awesome promotion whereby they reward you with 800 points ($10 in Gift Vouchers) each time you pre-order a game.

So not only do you get the pre-order bonus' but you get the ten bucks also.

But I'm morally oppossed to pre-orders - especially with a big-box store like Best Buy.

Does anything like this exist in the UK yet?
  • google wrote:
    But I'm morally oppossed to pre-orders

Why?
  • google wrote:
    But I'm morally oppossed to pre-orders
    Why?

From a retailer perspective.

I dont like the idea that I have to be pro-active with my ordering to guarantee that I'll receive a copy of 'big-budget-y' on day 1.
  • What about niche stuff, like the NHL game that came out today?
  • What about niche stuff, like the NHL game that came out today?

NHL is not niche in Canada my friend.

Dont get me wrong, I could walk into any big box store and pick up a copy.

But if I walked into EBGames on a Tuesday (game release day) to pick up NHL '13 they'd look at me and ask,

"Did you preorder?"

"Nope"

"Ah, well, we only have enough copies to cover pre-orders. Come back in a couple of days"
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    So, pre-order.

Well, that's the point.

I feel I shouldn't have to pre-order a very mainstream videogame on the basis that I'm then on the hook to buy it. I have to put a deposit down, and even though that's $5, it's still money that I'm giving them for essentially doing what they should be doing as a retail outlet.

They're providing no additional service other than being one of half a dozen retailers who carry a game.

On the other point. If I havent pre-ordered but on the day of release but I feel like I'd like to get involved with the game, it's actually sometimes pretty difficult to  find a copy of. 

I guess my point is that I shouldn't have to put a deposit down for a videogame I might want to purchase in the hope that come release day, I can actually purchase a copy.
  • If it's a game you definitely want to buy, a deposit is no harm.  If it's a game you weren't sure about, waiting a few days is no harm.

If I've been waiting on a game for ages, and there's a limited supply, I'd rather the shop secured my copy than sold it to some spur-of-the-moment dick who's just heard about it.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    If I've been waiting on a game for ages, and there's a limited supply, I'd rather the shop secured my copy than sold it to some spur-of-the-moment dick who's just heard about it.

Totally agreed. But I'm talking massive games.

NHL is the equivalent of FIFA here.

Imagine walking into GAME on a Friday after work to pick up FIFA only to be told that they cant sell it to you because the only copies that they have are reserved for their pre-orders. 

Sure you can go to Tesco or HMV - but it's a pain to be told that you cant purchase something that traditionally was in stock, should be in stock today and should be readily available.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!