The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • It matters not that they are the franchise, he can match the prices on their site.  I also doubt no member of staff has a smartphone, so he could look it up on the shopfloor. Were you even asked to get it up yourself? Not sure what your other game was, but Sleeping dogs has just gone into the sale mint and pre-owned, so as a result has a lower trade in price which would explain why it was so low. From that price though it sounds as if he didn't even bother to offer you the 33% extra if you got something digital.

No, I had the CEX website up on my phone before I went in, didn't want to see them. Maybe the print-out request is his way of never matching CEX as CEX won't do a print-out.

Didn't mention any other offers either, although 33% compared to the almost 100% HMV offered me above Game's prices wouldn't have cut it anyway.

I'm not sure how any store that's been through what game has can allow staff to basically send staff to a competitor. As it was, there was nothing in CEX that I wanted, not that I hung around in there any longer than I needed to - the Newcastle store is the smallest and grottiest branch of CEX I've ever had the misfortune to visit - but if there had been then I'd have bought it from them rather than go back to Game anyway (if HMV hadn't have been an option).
  • I gladly send customers to a competitor if we don't have something in stock (after mentioning our website). We're all in the same boat.
  • There's a difference between doing that (which is essentially selfless customer service) and wilfully turning away business.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I more or less expect companies to make grand claims in marketing then try to wriggle out of it at store level now, but with the 'beat any price' and '£1 on total transaction' stuff I'm not sure why GAME engaging in it.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Harlequin (of Batman) on her leg

Not that it makes any odds, but it's Harley Quinn.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Dude, I went in with pictures taken from the CEX website and the HMV app and they still asked for a receipt from CEX. They eventually relented, but it's a reason I'll be trying not to shop in Game in future.
    adored wrote:
    No, I had the CEX website up on my phone before I went in, didn't want to see them. Maybe the print-out request is his way of never matching CEX as CEX won't do a print-out. Didn't mention any other offers either, although 33% compared to the almost 100% HMV offered me above Game's prices wouldn't have cut it anyway. I'm not sure how any store that's been through what game has can allow staff to basically send staff to a competitor. As it was, there was nothing in CEX that I wanted, not that I hung around in there any longer than I needed to - the Newcastle store is the smallest and grottiest branch of CEX I've ever had the misfortune to visit - but if there had been then I'd have bought it from them rather than go back to Game anyway (if HMV hadn't have been an option).

Hahaha. They are fucking shit. You do not need any print out, you just need to verify the price. I've actually gone over the road to HMV to ask them in the past. Which stores are these?
  • Eldon Square, Newcastle for me. Name & Shame.
  • Maidstone for me
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Tale of woe with a happy ending.

Going to see a client in a bit and figured I'd drop the invoice off at the same time. Of course last night my printer decides that that is the perfect moment for the fuser drum to crap out.

So I jumps on the PC World site, find a printer that's what I want and happily it's the same price as Amazon, a very reasonable £89. No stock in my closest store so Reserve it for the next closest, some 7 miles away.

Jump in the car, get there, no stock. I'm doing my best not to get arsey and the offers me the display model instead. At first I'm horrified at the prospect but on inspection it's absolutely perfect so I says OK. He scuttles off to get the leads (which I don't need) and comes back to say he can't find them but I can have 10% off instead.

Get to the till and he knocks £10 not 10% off instead. Printer works lovely as well. Result!

tl/dr PC World are dicks but not all of the staff are.
  • Seems HMV are now apparently banning long hair and visible large tattoos on their staff. :s
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    What about beards?
  • Long hair? Just on the men?
  • FranticPea wrote:
    What about beards?

What about tattoos of beards or beards covering tattoos of beards? 
    What about moustaches too?!

In Australia, there is a chain called JB Hifi (selling stuff like games/cds/movies and electronic equipment/car stereos/cameras/PCs etc). They tend to hire uni students/people in their early 20s and every single one of their shops has at least one or two staff with tattoos/piercings/neon coloured hair.

Invariably, in my experience at least, they have been the most knowledgeable staff on a number of product types and its gotten to the point now where I'd almost seek out staff like that when Im trying to do some product research.

Another thing Ive discovered lately is a pro-tip for dealing with difficult and stressful retail services (usually call centres for telcos): the first thing I say to them now is "Hi, how are you today". This seems to have raised my success rate with dealing with them and getting stuff fixed from maybe 60% up to 90%. It works far better for me than going down the "I want to talk to your supervisor" line, but I reserve that one for really bad cases. 

I'm sure I'll use it in brick&mortar shops too when I've got some problem to sort out, but that's very rare in my experience.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Seems HMV are now apparently banning long hair and visible large tattoos on their staff. :s

What about people already employed who have visible tattoos? They can't fire them.

Also wtf it's not 1950. As long as they are clean, groomed and presentable it shouldn't matter.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Seems HMV are now apparently banning long hair and visible large tattoos on their staff. :s

At the same time Game are allowing it?

Policies like this are downright retarded. It affects your job in no way. Good luck with enforcing the long hair rule though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
  • So the idiots in charge who over the last 5 - 10 years have stripped away all personal identity to stores are now doing this to the staff too. What the fuck do they think they'll achieve by this? Nothing but desperation.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    What about people already employed who have visible tattoos? They can't fire them. Also wtf it's not 1950. As long as they are clean, groomed and presentable it shouldn't matter.

They can have them. They need to cover them up though.
    What next? Having them dress in suits?
  • What if the tats are on your hands, do you have to wear plasters or gloves all day? Maybe medieval gauntlets.

Why don't they make some (SOME) of the staff wash instead.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The should all wear distinct uniform, in every shop. Possibly some form of hat.

I hate it when the only way to spot staff is if they have a lanyard on. The amount of times I've asked a fellow shopper for assistance because they were acting like they worked there...sheesh.
  • I'm fine with a distinct uniform, polo shirt or tee with the store logo on is enough though really.

Cloth stores are normally the hardest to spot staff in as the staff wear the clothes being sold, as do the people buying the clothes.
    From experience it is also a pain in the ass having to buy new clothes every third month because the range has changed.
  • Aye, I've been hinted to have a wee trim.
  • From experience it is also a pain in the ass having to buy new clothes every third month because the range has changed.

• pffff not when it's Fat Face. Nice enough clothes but a bit middle aged, middle class for me.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    The should all wear distinct uniform, in every shop. Possibly some form of hat. I hate it when the only way to spot staff is if they have a lanyard on. The amount of times I've asked a fellow shopper for assistance because they were acting like they worked there...sheesh.

I used to get asked by idiots people like you a lot - mainly in HMV - fuck knows why. Dont even own a single plain black t-shirt.
  • Should probably stop poking around behind the tills.
  • pffff not when it's Fat Face. Nice enough clothes but a bit middle aged, middle class for me.

Does scream 'Casual Accountant having a beer'

(I do like their big thick sock things with the grips on the bottom though...snuggly)
  • Aye, I've been hinted to have a wee trim.

Sacrilege!
  • They did bits I liked, the Jeans were good and didn't follow silly fashionable cuts. All the stuff is well made too.
  • I get people asking me every day if I work in HMV, despite towering over them with a black tee on with HMV in big fucking pink letters.

Also, re: Trim. I'm not fussed. When it becomes an issue, I will oblige.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!