Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Snuff That Mudder!
  • cindemon wrote:
    Even with Odyssey bud?

That is a game where every minute is a joy though. It never lets up.

This never lets up with having to trawl through reams of text and tutorials, repetitive battles and highly annoying voice acting. For HOURS on end. No thanks. There was a time when I would've put up with it and actually enjoyed this stuff but not these days.
  • Epics don't need to have slow and tedious beginnings. As much as I love games like FFXII, Okami and Persona 4/5, they all deserve a slap on the wrist for not getting going quick enough. FFVII can show them how it's done.
  • Seems to be a very Japanese issue in my experience.
    That and front loading the first few hours with text based tutorials that are impossible to absorb all at once.
  • Ni No Kuni was the worst for that. Was still having tutorials dozens of hours in. Couldn’t be arsed with it.
  • JonB wrote:
    Epics don't need to have slow and tedious beginnings. As much as I love games like FFXII, Okami and Persona 4/5, they all deserve a slap on the wrist for not getting going quick enough. FFVII can show them how it's done.

Zeldas went down that road to, TP and SS being the worst examples. ALttP is still the best for throwing you right into the story/action.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • And I thought Chalice was a Destiny 1 fan.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Got to my first open area last night in handheld mode and I can't believe how bad it looks .
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    And I thought Chalice was a Destiny 1 fan.

Eh?
    Ni No Kuni was the worst for that. Was still having tutorials dozens of hours in. Couldn’t be arsed with it.

I ditched that after half an hour too. Abysmal.
  • Was all set to get this but starting to get the feeling it might be a bit rubbish. I'd love to be convinced otherwise but it's becoming a maybe and only if it's cheap option..
    Peter3C
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    And I thought Chalice was a Destiny 1 fan.

Eh?
    Ni No Kuni was the worst for that. Was still having tutorials dozens of hours in. Couldn’t be arsed with it.

I ditched that after half an hour too. Abysmal.

I wished I had ditched it after half an hour. 15-20 hours and it was still slow as fuck. You’re the smart one, here.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    There was some lovely stuff in Ni No Kuni.  Not enough to keep me going all the way to the end.  But there was some good stuff in there.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Going back to the dubz discussion from a few pages ago that you probably all want to leave behind forever, I think it depends vastly on circumstances rather than strictly budget. The Doctor Who audio plays are made for tuppence but manage to get everyone in the studio. But that's because the guest actors, who are often, like, recognisable proper people off the telly, only need to be there for a day or two. With a giant JRPG dub you'd need to have the actors in for a while and if you want decent actors you might start cutting into time they want to dedicate for theatre work or whatever.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    £30 credit at Game/CEX, think this is going the distance.
  • On a quick puff break, but this game has got me. It's far from polished but I'm loving it.
  • Aye I’m loving it too.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I’m also loving it. The music is incredible. The battle system has now clicked despite seeming initially impenetrable. The voice acting has improved the further I’ve got in but I still hate the noppon voices, so annoying!

I can’t help but feel that some of the jokes are a bit lost in translation and fall flat but some of them are pretty funny, like the main noppon dressing up the artificial blade in fetish outfits was unexpected.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Mikemsp wrote:
    ...like the main noppon dressing up the artificial blade in fetish outfits was unexpected.

Yeah, got a hearty chuckle from me.

• Hit my first wall yesterday ref a battle. I'm a level or 2 above my opponents but they got some crazy driver arts between them. A tough battle & one I'm relishing overcoming....eventually.

Had to throw a few hour's at grinding crystals & creating a few new blades(got 2 of the special blades out of it which was sweet) after as my party were hardly making a dent. Ready for round 2 later.

Game is really stunning in places, but not really a hugh improvement of X's visuals & it can struggle a little with the texture loading(God's knows what it's like in handheld mode)on warping somewhere & it makes me think due to how quick this puppy landed(most thought this was gonna land in 2018 including me) perhaps this was WiiU bound once? Maybe even started before X or developed in parallel with it, which might explain some of the step backwards ref some of the games mechanics. Just pointless speculation, but crossed my mind yesterday.

Going back to the battle system, which I now have sussed...I think, it's starting to catch X's now for me, but I loved those Mech/on foot/combined battles so it's still got a little way to go.
  • Yeah I agree with most of that. I’m playing in handheld mode a lot and at times it looks like OG Xenoblade in terms of resolution, I bet it isn’t even 480P at times, but haven’t noticed any frame rate drops.

Also how do you grind for crystals?

• Tiger, Tiger for the crystals. Almost got a damn near perfect score on level 1 last night. Missed 2 squids & the odd gem. I will perfect that level, maybe....

I'm assuming I got the 2 decent cores for blades from side quests, but it might of been from a salvage(only of late I'm starting to pay closer attention to what I'm picking up) as I've picked up a few basic cores that way.
  • I'm loving this now, 50 hours in and don't want it to end. I really like the story, the voice acting is unintentionally funny at times but so fuck.
  • Cleared the tutorial bit in around 2 hours. Game looks ace, sounds ace and has set up an interesting world to explore. I haven't had an issue with the voice acting at all. Standard stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So is this really bad in handheld mode as that is how I will mainly play it if I buy it.
  • I’m not far in but, so far, no. I can’t compare it to docked mode, but it’s not a disaster by any means.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    So is this really bad in handheld mode as that is how I will mainly play it if I buy it.

I thought it looked shocking when I came to my first really open world part .
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Mmmm thinking I’ll hold off on this for now. Not home enough to play docked.
  • So, i’ve given up on this after 25 hours.

I tried my hardest to get into it and persevered with the voice acting and story, which does get better after the initial few hours.

I even got into the combat despite its complexity and got pretty good at it, although it isn’t what I would call enjoyable.

The thing that killed it for me was the lack of interactivity. Some of the areas are quite pretty but there is nothing to do in the space apart from fight monsters and go to collection points to get loot. Apart from a huge monsters head looming in the background you really could be anywhere, there is no sense of place like in the first game

I know it isn’t the same type of game as breath of the wild, but in a world where that game exists, a world like in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 just seems devoid of life and fun. It may have worked for xenoblade 1 and even X at the time. But these days it just is not good enough. Couple this with it being a story driven game with a poorly delivered plot (despite the actual story being quite interesting) and it’s one big turn off.

I tried to like it but it really is a pile of turd by the standard of modern gaming. There were some golden nuggets in there and I feel sorry for the level designers that there is nothing to do in these (sometimes beautiful) spaces.

5/10

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Mmmm thinking I’ll hold off on this for now. Not home enough to play docked.

I wish I picked this up when Argos mispriced it...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Finished main story 80+ hours.

Loved it.

Will finish a few sides and wait for New Game+ in 2018.

Marvellous.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!