Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Snuff That Mudder!
  • Verdict non-spoiler after 15 hours. The opening 5 hours are trash. You're confronted with hideous voice acting, characters with literally no graphics on their faces (no textures) and an unfathomable combat system.

After that it gets better and better. Once you get the first open world bit its excellent and you start to understand it, though usually through finding things out yourself and the voice acting improves. The main 3 characters are well voiced. I'm not going to switch it to Japanese audio because I really like Rex and Nia. Love a good dialect.
  • I think they must make the voice acting deliberately bad. It’s just so bad.

Music is lovely.

Only managed 10mins, will have a good sesh during strictly tomorrow.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Agree with your post, not quite as far as you, but the opening act, especially the first 2 hours is a slog. I even questioned my decision to buy it at some point but I pushed on & I'm glad it did. Game & battle system are feckin mint.
    Dogfingers wrote:
    The main 3 characters are well voiced. I'm not going to switch it to Japanese audio because I really like Rex and Nia. Love a good dialect.

Me neither, would miss the open world/battle banter.

• OH MY GOOD FUCKING GOD THE VOICE ACTING CAN I BURN IT IF NOT LET ME DROWN IT TO DEATH, BECAUSE THIS IS UTTERLY FUCKING AWFUL GOODBYE HELLO TRADE IN TOMORROW MORNING
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can you record some for my amusement?
  • Not played this one but the cutscenes in the WiiU effort were toenail curling cringe.

Not in that Tesco Value budget Mass Effect Andromeda way, more in the "It's Anime, it's what they do" way.
    Can't stand it, put me off playing more of the game.
  • Rex has some crackers, MAYBE I AM THE BEST.
  • The voice acting isn’t that bad, it’s no worse than most JRPGs, so if you don’t like that then you aren’t going to like this. I will stick out the English VO and hopefully will get better like dogfingers stated.

So far I’m really enjoying the game, it seems like it’ll take a while to kick into gear, but that’s par for the course with Xeno titles and JRPGs in general, just have to stick with it.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Tremendous. Loved the previous two. In all the way.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Would have jumped in at the Argos price but I thing I'll hold fire for a bit.
  • Edge gave this
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You owe me £30.
  • I liked the. Accent that. Rex was.

Voiced with in the. English version. But the weird... pauses in his. Delivery were off.

Putting.

Shopkeeper’s broken English work written down but not work when native English speaker do voice, methinks.

I got that far before downloading the Japanese voices. I’m never a huge fan of the overblown, melodramatic delivery and frequently poor casting (voices that just don’t belong in the character’s body) but it’s a significant improvement.
  • Is this a reasonable price anywhere on the high street? Tempted to pick it up in town.
  • It was £30 in Argos yesterday, probably still is unless they’ve sold out / realised their error.
  • Nah, that went incredibly fast. Back to £50 there now.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I liked the. Accent that. Rex was. Voiced with in the. English version. But the weird... pauses in his. Delivery were off. Putting. Shopkeeper’s broken English work written down but not work when native English speaker do voice, methinks. I got that far before downloading the Japanese voices. I’m never a huge fan of the overblown, melodramatic delivery and frequently poor casting (voices that just don’t belong in the character’s body) but it’s a significant improvement.

It’s a shame, isn’t it.  Games have come so far in so many other areas, but good voice acting just isn’t keeping up.  I guess for the most part it’s all about budget and devs only allocating enough to afford actors who normally voice Saturday morning kids cartoons.
    Get schwifty.
  • Budget will be a big part of it, aye.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If you don't like it you could just do the Japanese audio, I hear its fine.
  • You owe me £30.

Am I still getting the blowie though?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Be rude not to.
  • Good lad
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    If you don't like it you could just do the Japanese audio, I hear its fine.

I wish I’d thought of that before I posted.

If the English voice actor is a paid, professional actor, I regret not pursuing my childhood dream; the bar for entry is clearly much lower than I realised.
  • I find it hard to believe some of them are 'actors', more like 'work experience staff'
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The worst possible voice acting probably comes from recording lines in isolation.  It’s not the only problem, obvs, but get some actors bouncing off each other and you’re bound to get an exchange that isn’t wooden as fuck.  The writing is another thing entirely.  I know exactly how hard it is to write good dialogue.  It isn’t nonexistent in video game, but almost,
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    The worst possible voice acting probably comes from recording lines in isolation.

That hasn’t harmed most major animation studios’ output.
  • Andy wrote:
    I liked the. Accent that. Rex was.

Voiced with in the. English version. But the weird... pauses in his. Delivery were off.

Putting.

Shopkeeper’s broken English work written down but not work when native English speaker do voice, methinks.

I got that far before downloading the Japanese voices. I’m never a huge fan of the overblown, melodramatic delivery and frequently poor casting (voices that just don’t belong in the character’s body) but it’s a significant improvement.

I agree with both of these points. The weird pause Rex does is offputting and the ponpon (I think) characters speech is stupid when read aloud. Coincidentally someone should have told this fact to the makers of the walking dead tv series about the idiots who live at the tip. It’s fine when written down but said out loud it is fucking stupid. ‘Me get guns, you have guns. Me want’ etc

I digress.

This game is good fun and the voice acting is an improvement on the first game and is pretty good judging by JRPG standards but that means it’s still not great.

Also. I like the voice of the welsh woman who has the tiger, best so far.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    The worst possible voice acting probably comes from recording lines in isolation.
    That hasn’t harmed most major animation studios’ output.

I’d be very surprised if major studios recorded their dialogue in isolation, but okay.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!