Memorable Gaming Moments
  • There was a moment in Oblivion (one of many) that shit me up really  proper. I was very low on health and a troll was kicking my arse. I hate those fuckers at the best of times. So I made a run for it and saw a dungeon come up on the map so I ran in (it had a door). Id be safe there to heal(the dungeon was separated from the world by a loading screen). So I spent a few minutes getting my health sorted and then turned around and the fucking troll was right behind me all along just standing there. Once I had turned around he started attacking me. Freaked me right out.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Haha
    That reminds me of the dentist in Bioshock.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some more:

First time I felt truly "in the zone".Levels 7 and 8 of Kaboom on the 2600  - I can still get that with that game when I'm on form.

The initial high you get when you first play WarioWare. It feels like you are in mental freefall.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Warioware is full of memories, good shout.
    Balancing turtles!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Also, first time I saw Ready to Rumble running on a Dreamcast in a demo pod in EB/GAME with a crowd around it. Dodgy graphics were a thing of the past. Last time I felt a buzz about a console.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Warioware is full of memories, good shout. Balancing turtles!

One of the best multi-player games ever anywhere.
  • Me and LD have a pretty similar gaming life, it seems.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Radiant Silvergun on Saturn.

I discovered it late but it reminded me just how many games from Japan I'd overlooked.

It rekindled my life long love affair with shmups which started with Space Invaders and to this day remsins the one genre I have blown serious cash on, near £500 on one game more than a few times.

I've owned it countless times on Saturn and even bought the original arcade hardware (that wasnt cheap either), thankfully it got an XBLA release so I don't keep getting the urge to replace it.

Is it the best shmup ever? No, I don't think so. But it may just be the most genre defining, it's certainly epic by shmup standards and it has probably pulled more peoples interest into the genre than any other game.

The first time I loaded Silvergun it mesmorised me, I couldn't understand why I started with all the weapons but it felt empowering, you felt like you were the greatest most powerful ship in that universe from the start. It was experience versus the invading hoarde.
  • g.man wrote:
    ALLAHU AKBAR!

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    First time I felt truly "in the zone".Levels 7 and 8 of Kaboom on the 2600  - I can still get that with that game when I'm on form.

You and I are more similar than I realised. Kaboom is marvellous, rinsed that when I was younger and have returned to it in later years.

A friend and I broke a set of paddles in competition playing Kaboom.
  • Definitley Bioshock, my favourite opening of any game ever;

Stepping out of the airlock at the beginning of Mass Effect 2 and it going all quiet.
  • Bioshock has so many good moments, yeah the gameplay is somewhat broken but the atmosphere was incredible.
    I really want to play ME2 again.
  • I think BioShock was my favourite single player experience of the 360. I found it incredible.

Have to mention Gears MP with you lot though, really opened my eyes as to what online multiplayer is about and had countless moments (good and bad).
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You and I are more similar than I realised. Kaboom is marvellous, rinsed that when I was younger and have returned to it in later years. A friend and I broke a set of paddles in competition playing Kaboom.

Excellent. I was able to score 200-300,000 back in the day - however I recently discovered that the PAL version was unoptimised for speed - so imagine my disappointment in that. Playing the 60Hz version really changes the game - level 8 is an entirely different proposition altogether now. (also I played at diff B, diff A is comedic in its difficulty)

I still have the original hardware and I still play it using a Harmony cart with a PAL60 ROM I created from a disassembly of the game (and some help from atariage people). Because I now play a faster game, and because I daresay I'm slower,  busting 10K on 60Hz Kaboom is a bit of an effort for me now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Radiant Silvergun on Saturn. I discovered it late but it reminded me just how many games from Japan I'd overlooked. It rekindled my life long love affair with shmups which started with Space Invaders and to this day remsins the one genre I have blown serious cash on, near £500 on one game more than a few times. I've owned it countless times on Saturn and even bought the original arcade hardware (that wasnt cheap either), thankfully it got an XBLA release so I don't keep getting the urge to replace it. Is it the best shmup ever? No, I don't think so. But it may just be the most genre defining, it's certainly epic by shmup standards and it has probably pulled more peoples interest into the genre than any other game. The first time I loaded Silvergun it mesmorised me, I couldn't understand why I started with all the weapons but it felt empowering, you felt like you were the greatest most powerful ship in that universe from the start. It was experience versus the invading hoarde.
    I have to say I was slightly underwhelmed by RSG. But when I first played it I did realise it wasn't just another pick up and play shump with arcade sensibilities. That is why it probably put me off as that's what I was looking for at the time.  It's probably the reason why I never warmed to Ikuraga too. Neither game suffers fools but I find RSG the more approachable game.

I credit fed my way through RSG (something I very rarely do) just to see more of the game and it was and still is a stunning game with lots of great ideas. I tried the XBL version and hated the look of it though.

I still have the Saturn disc (and the US GC disc of Ikaruga) so I will return to it.
  • Definitley Bioshock, my favourite opening of any game ever.

One of the finest indeed. When you see those whales and fish etc swimming outside, but place is all broken, lights out etc. 

And yeah I had that dentist moment too. One of two times in my gaming life where I screamed/shouted out loud. Other was PT, wife had to run in to check on me to make sure I was ok.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Splatoons final boss.
  • 1) First time I saw a scarab in Halo 3
    2) Unlocking secrets in Donkey Kong Country and having the reveal noise much like the sound effect in Zelda 
    3) Princess Slide
    4) The loop shot in ISS2000
    5) Just mooching around in Ocarina of Time
    6) Clearing a level (200 onwards) in Candy Crush Soda using the last move. Always feels clutch and incredibly satisfying. 
    7) Winning a Street Fighter 4 match with an Ultra
    8) The first ten minutes of Mario Maker when you see all the nintendoisms
    9) Defeating Krang on Turtles arcade
    10) First time I beat Chase HQ on the Amiga 500
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • SotC - number 13 I think. The flying one that comes out of the sand. An event itself when you first see it and it flies up, but boy when you're standing on your steed, make that jump, and then it flies up with you on its back.... Gasp!

The bird (number 5?) was good too.
  • Notable mention to generally playing Rich Dangerous and how brutal it was but satisfying when playing through levels avoiding traps.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • i used to love playing Madden on my mates' megadrive.  he wasn't so keen as i always beat him.

then one game, going into the final seconds, he was leading.  i had the ball, but deep in my own half.  tensions were rising.  i made a desperate play as the buzzer went, but it was incomplete.
    in celebration, my mate launched his player at my receiver, smashing him whilst directing a triumphant "HAH!" at me.  this is when we discovered that tackling someone after the buzzer is 'unsportsmanlike conduct' and gets the opponent a new down.
    i had one more play!  tensions ramp up, we line up, i opt for a 'hail mary', my go to play in a tricky spot.
    QB drops back, hits the receiver, he's running, gets to halfway, here comes the defender...tackled!
    the buzzer goes, my mate has done it, he's won.  he jumps up in triumph.  at this point, i can't remember if he hit the joypad in delight, or dropped it on the floor.  the result though, was that his player launched into a diving tackle, smashing my receiver again... More 'unsportsmanlike conduct'!  "nooooo" he screamed.
    one more play.
    tension is palpable now.
    hail mary again.
    qb drops deep, waits.
    defence holds well, receiver is away.
    QB goes for a long long pass.
    it's in the air...
    it's over the defender...
    receiver takes it!
    the pass is good!
    receiver high steps into the endzone...
    TOUCHDOWN. Conversion.

I win. tough luck mate.

I'm not sure we ever played Madden together again.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Pulling off a perfect Breach and Clear in Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with my brother playing co-op.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Finally beating the black car in Ridge Racer on Playstation.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Beating Oryx with Team Clueless was up there in my most memorable, fulfilling and fist-pumpingly celebratory gaming moments. 

Gobbling loads of levitation potions in Morrowind and floating above the city for ages, revelling at the scale of it all. 

Any time I kept Freddy Adu, Nii Lamptey and Stephane Pounewatchy at my football team. 

Lots from Bioshock, Fallout 3, COD4 online shenanigans, the slightly contrived but rather beautiful scene in TLOU involving animals, being in halls with a lad who would create A3 bar charts of his players stats in Fifa 97.
  • The opening of Just Cause.
    Climbing to the top of the Empire State Building in Spider-man 2.
    Driving to the top of the hill in Smuggler's Run.
    Sky-diving from the zeppelin in GTAV. (here)
    Driving out the back of a cargo plane in GTAV. (here)
    Your first leap of faith in Assassin's Creed.

I like in-game heights.

Being killed by an Uruk in Shadow of Mordor.
    Beheading your opponent in Barbarian, and the goblin kicking his head along as he drags the body out.
    Discovering the underground lake in Gears of War 2.
  • That first real death in Boletarain Palace in Demon's Souls.
  • I've probably mentioned this one before...
    My highlight of the entire last generation was Mass Effect 1. Specifically my first night with it.
    I was single(ish) at the time and sharing a house with some mates. I had the 360 setup in my room. So I popped on my headphones,lit a smoke,cracked open a beer, turned off the lights and started. It was the music on the title screen that initially grabbed me and by the time I was roving in my Mako on some desolate planet with such a palpable feeling of isolation.....Utterly magical.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Metal Gear Solid V.
    You take a helicopter ride and it doesn't fall from the sky in camera jarring spiral of FPS sicky.
    Until later, when it does.

I await the time when a 3rd party accessory company makes sick bags for VR headsets.

• Recent one for me:

The entire intro part of MGSV. It is probably the most fitting intro to any game ever. Real talk. Nailed it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It's a shame about what comes after...
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!