Memorable Gaming Moments
  • A flaming man on a unicorn is certainly memorable. I remember when one trotted down the high street, it was all everyone talked about for days. Nobody wanted to clear up the flaming unicorn shit, though. So we had to wait for rain.
  • *chuckle*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The ending battle sequence of Half Life 2 Episode 2 comes to mind as well. By that stage you are well versed in the use of the gravity gun, and get to go tearing across the landscape defending against striders and hunters in a pretty desperate scramble. Taking out zombies with a buzz saw was one thing; taking out a strider with a single pistol shot at a limpet mine is pretty damn special.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • trippy wrote:
    The trippy ending for
    F
    Spoiler:
    Z

I love it too. Like a pixel 2001. I wonder how much of it is real time maths drawing, looks like most of it could be.

Just flipping everything in the game really, the level of attention and design that has been paid to every corner is mind boggling.
  • Vela wrote:
    The ending battle sequence of Half Life 2 Episode 2 comes to mind as well. By that stage you are well versed in the use of the gravity gun, and get to go tearing across the landscape defending against striders and hunters in a pretty desperate scramble. Taking out zombies with a buzz saw was one thing; taking out a strider with a single pistol shot at a limpet mine is pretty damn special.

Each of the prerendered in game physics spectacles too. When that farm house exploded, dayum. IIRC
  • The trippy ending for F
    Spoiler:
    Z
    I love it too. Like a pixel 2001. I wonder how much of it is real time maths drawing, looks like most of it could be. Just flipping everything in the game really, the level of attention and design that has been paid to every corner is mind boggling.

Aye it's a beauty, soundtrack is amazing, too. Shame there was such a dick war around it. Fez 2, or anything by the same creators would be a must buy.
  • Be a terrible shame if Fish never made another game
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I was hoping he was just continuing development on fez 2 on the sly, and will just randomly release it one day. Probably wishfull thinking though.
  • weadre wrote:
    I was hoping he was just continuing development on fez 2 on the sly, and will just randomly release it one day. Probably wishfull thinking though.
    could happen...he doesnt strike me as a corporate office worker, how else will he bring home the (canadian) bacon?
  • Lovely moment in Rise of TR last night when I found a hidden 'tomb'. Shame it was just one puzzle with 2 or 3 platforms to navigate. But lively and atmospheric nonetheless and I loved the fact you could see it from miles away (well, across the fairly large map anyway) and had to navigate your way to where it was 'hidden'.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The first time I took on a Scarab in Halo 3 ODST. (I completed ODST campaign before 2 or 3). I think I was flying a banshee and something in the distance was taking pot shots at me. I tried taking it down and I noticed that its back legs collapsed, so I figured I could go in for the kill, but sure enough, it got back up and carried on firing at me. When I first saw it, it never entered my head that I would need to land, jump inside it and take out it's core. Great stuff.

Also, anytime in Half Life 2 when you get to stick it to a chopper. Pretty much most of Half Life 2 including episodes 1 and 2 actually.

Saren being a bastard right at the beginning of Mass Effect.

Meeting Archangel in Mass Effect 2, even though the armour was a complete giveaway.
  • Double Scarab in 3 was awesome.
  • I cheesed that :( Just blew them up with the tank
  • Here are some more of mine in no particular order:

Mass Effect 1 - When Shepherd talks to the Reaper. 
    The dialogue in this for the reaper is fucking brilliant, exactly how I imagined a setient machine giant space squid on a different evolutionary order to mankind would talk. 

All of my time spent playing Hakan in SSFIV and beyond.
    That moment when a single character rekindles your interest in a series you thought you were never going to play again. I went on a real journey with that guy, from hopeless returning rusty scrubalub to semi competent loops of shenanigans, oil cancel sillines and the groans of every single person who was airborne when they heard me batter out that triple down input for Ultra 2.

When I basically invented being a Sunbro in Destiny. 
    A bold claim, but seriously I was there day 1 repping the closest thing this game has to a support class and I was doing the team buff before raids were even thing you feggets. NEVA4GET.

Fallout 3 - When Bethesda completely nailed what the modern update to Fallout 3 should have been. 
    Nothing else to say really. At the time this game was everything I was hoping it would be. 

The Bouncer on PS2
    I used to love side scrolling beat em ups back in the day. This was a really good attempt at doing one in 3D. Th story and all the rest is cheesy gash toss but I still love it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The first time you complete a traditional shooting game (shmup/STG) on one credit. There isn't anything else quite like the accompanying sense of achievement in gaming.

The way the market has gone down the path of narrative-led adventures for the single player, or arena fragging for > 1 means that the idea of not continuing or worrying about a score is becoming quite rare now because it doesn't make sense in that type of game. For those of us who aren't attracted to that sort of thing it's getting harder to find new stuff that hits the spot but the STG genre still does it.

Putting a 1CC run together is quite a unique thing now in gaming. Learning the 5 or 6 levels such that you memorise how to navigate the trickier parts while still deriving pleasure from freestyling the easier sections is a joy when the game is designed so that the difficulty ebbs and flows (as it should do).

It's one thing to try , try again to get past a sticky point that you won't ever return to, but to build up the skill to defeat a series of them in one go over an intense 20-30min burst without resorting to a save point is quite another. Nothing quite like it. And the fact it then opens up the challenge of bettering your score in those examples with superior design means a single game can give months if not years of pleasure to one who has the compatible mindset.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Pure gaming. Most don't understand though. 'Crap game, finished it in 30 minutes!'
  • I still haven't 1cc'd a shmup. But I intend to. Mushi or Deathsmiles will be easiest I reckon. 

If only I had the skillzorz to 1cc Ikaruga.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have 1CC-ed only a few which makes it special for me. Have to tame them in the options at times...

Have 1CC-ed Super SWIV and Super Aleste on SNES. Aleste has insane difficulty options though - but I have 1CC-ed it on default.

Have done Gunbird2 on DC and Raiden III on PS2 - but had to crank the difficulty down - working my way up to default settings on those.

Getting to level 4 on Mushi Futari (original) after nearly 2 years of on and off play. Unfortunately Novice mode is too easy to 1CC - would have been nice to have something in between. An auto-bomb toggle would probably have provided that. 

Sorry - shmup thread invading here.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I still haven't 1cc'd a shmup. But I intend to. Mushi or Deathsmiles will be easiest I reckon.  If only I had the skillzorz to 1cc Ikaruga.

Many say they are easy 1CC-s. Yeah right.

Mushi Futari is easier with Abnormal Palm - you get rid of bosses before their mad patterns start up. Deathsmiles is quite easy up until the final level but then it becomes insane...

It's a question of working at them and getting some focussed practice in and both have excellent training modes. You're right though @hylian_elf - they are the two where you have best chance of a 1CC modern shmup-wise.
  • Oh I've done a couple on SNES and stuff, Axelay among them. Just nowt recently. And only two or three easy ones ever. Cos I'm shit!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    One gaming memory just bubbled to the surface - shouts of "He's in the bogs!" during multiplayer sessions of GoldenEye.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Playing Virtua Tennis 3/4 for the first time with DS. Let me go 40-0 up and then annihilated me. It still hurts.....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    One gaming memory just bubbled to the surface - shouts of "He's in the bogs!" during multiplayer sessions of GoldenEye.

"I've got a boxed in panda" was announced at our Baku Baku competition earlier this year. Was a highlight.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I still haven't 1cc'd a shmup. But I intend to. Mushi or Deathsmiles will be easiest I reckon.  If only I had the skillzorz to 1cc Ikaruga.

Many say they are easy 1CC-s. Yeah right.

Mushi Futari is easier with Abnormal Palm - you get rid of bosses before their mad patterns start up. Deathsmiles is quite easy up until the final level but then it becomes insane...

It's a question of working at them and getting some focussed practice in and both have excellent training modes. You're right though @hylian_elf - they are the two where you have best chance of a 1CC modern shmup-wise.

Deathsmiles isnt too bad, used to regularly clear that.

Mushi Futari Ive done but I could never do it afterwards despite owning the pcb and playing daily. Never understood why.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Many say they are easy 1CC-s. Yeah right. Mushi Futari is easier with Abnormal Palm - you get rid of bosses before their mad patterns start up. Deathsmiles is quite easy up until the final level but then it becomes insane... It's a question of working at them and getting some focussed practice in and both have excellent training modes. You're right though @hylian_elf - they are the two where you have best chance of a 1CC modern shmup-wise.
    Deathsmiles isnt too bad, used to regularly clear that. Mushi Futari Ive done but I could never do it afterwards despite owning the pcb and playing daily. Never understood why.

Jesus that Tyranna-whatsit bit is mental in Deathsmiles...
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Yeah. Bomb the hell out of him basically. Been a while but Im sure there's areas or score levels where you bag extra lives which helps.

I love Deathsmiles last stage, its exhilarating.
  • weadre wrote:
    I was hoping he was just continuing development on fez 2 on the sly, and will just randomly release it one day. Probably wishfull thinking though.
    could happen...he doesnt strike me as a corporate office worker, how else will he bring home the (canadian) bacon?

I'd be interested to know how much he did end up making on Fez. Enough to retire, I figure no.
    I think I'd prefer something original to a Fez 2. Fez on its own is a lovely thing.
    Although I still haven't finished it, just one last cube dammit!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Seeing my company's billboard in the first TOCA game and getting a mention in the end credits.

Death From Above in CoD4, it seemed like the radio chatter was replying directly to your actions.
  • I was hoping he was just continuing development on fez 2 on the sly, and will just randomly release it one day. Probably wishfull thinking though.
    I'd be interested to know how much he did end up making on Fez. Enough to retire, I figure no. I think I'd prefer something original to a Fez 2. Fez on its own is a lovely thing. Although I still haven't finished it, just one last cube dammit!
    Im curious too tbh. Considering Mike Bithel set up a studio off the back of Thomas Was Alone. Im sure though he just used some cash as a seed and got investment on the rest.But still shows that having a single hit can be a life changer.
    And watching some of the follow ups to Indie Game the Movie..... Wowawhweewah. Tommy (super meat boy dev) went from his parents remortaging the house pre release to him buying the house in full and driving a Tesla post release.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    That final boss fight/ending sequence from House of the Dead: Overkill.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!