Memorable Gaming Moments
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    That final boss fight/ending sequence from House of the Dead: Overkill.

That's something I'd like to forget.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    That final boss fight/ending sequence from House of the Dead: Overkill.
    That's something I'd like to forget.

Definitely one for the brain bleach.

Oh, leaving the vault in Fallout 3.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The police chase into the woods in Episode 3 of Alan Wake. That right there is the closest a game has ever gotten to making me feel like I'm actually "playing" a film.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    The police chase into the woods in Episode 3 of Alan Wake. That right there is the closest a game has ever gotten to making me feel like I'm actually "playing" a film.
    Those fucking Icarus games that fly to close to the sun and crash back down with a [6] or [7].
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • The wizard falling from the sky in Morrowind.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Recent experience: Horizon Finale race with forumites on FH2. Not only cos I won (in an overpowered car) but cos great race and tussles and exhilarating.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Christ, TLOU remastered is spitting epic gaming moments at me left,right and centre.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I've already said it, but again, Kow cliff. Great stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kow cliff??
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Jumping out of that fucking helicopter in Saints Row 3 and then that song
  • Sooooo many. 

Off the top of my head. 

1) Street Fighter 2. On an arcade cabinet on a Sally ferry from Dover to Calais. When i'd run out of 50p's (?) i'd just watch the intro on a loop. Just loved everything about it, it was my first fighter. Chun Li was my early noob fave.
    2) Seeing Mario World or Mario 64 running for the first time. 
    3) OOT Hyrule Field, felt absolutely massive - strange to think these days. ALSO when you turn into a adult link and realise the game is, thankfully, massive. (Same with the Dark World in LttP I guess)
    4) Rez, level 4. Never had a Dreamcast, bought this on XBLA to see what the fuss was about, Level 4 is where it blew me away. Looking forward to Rez VR where i'm sure it will do it all over again.
    5) MGS 1,2,3. MGS1 Official Playstation Magazine demo, MGS2 the ZOE tanker demo, MGS3 The End and THE ending. Amazing set of games with a ton of standout moments.
    6) Tomb Raider 1, round a friends house, watching him play on PC, level 3 out of the black fog comes a huge fucking T Rex, mate does that Lara 180 roll and just runs. Bought this the next day praying it would run on my Pentium 1. (it did, just, but with no music) 
    7) SOTC desert flying one, fucking beautiful.
    8) Half Life 1 and 2 for the intro section, just sticks in the memory more than most. 
    9) Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Omaha Beach.
    10) Final Fantasy 7, Aeries death. It didn't reduce me to tears, but still packed an emotional punch in an engrossing game. I'd never invested in a RPG before so this was a first for me.

Theres shit loads that I haven't included.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Gamermike wrote:
    3) OOT Hyrule Field, felt absolutely massive - strange to think these days. ALSO when you turn into a adult link and realise the game is, thankfully, massive.

QFT. The transformation into adult Link is fantastic. "Oh shit, there's more?!" Then you get to explore everything anew and see how screwed up some places have got.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    I've already said it, but again, Kow cliff. Great stuff.
    Goddamit!
  • Ha! I wasn't actually much better.
  • Doing a 1080 in 1080 Snowboarding N64. Also turning off the bloody music and going down that mountain in the moonlight.
  • Im nearing the end of TLOU and wow the whole game is one epic gaming moment. Just magnifico.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Pretty much all of DarkSouls.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • And not always for a good reason. Bed of Chaos was very memorable. And I still remember every bit of those archers bit.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Basilisks, the ash statues, and when someone tells you what they actually are. From really understand how to get the best results from an internet connection.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    And not always for a good reason. Bed of Chaos was very memorable. And I still remember every bit of those archers bit.

Those archers, From software be trollin'....

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    In no particular order

- Walking from Darnassus to Iron Forge when WoW first came out in 2005.
    A truly magical journey topped off with a stunning climb to Iron Forge.

- Playing Mario 64 for the first time.
    1996, hard to believe it is 20 years ago but that 'waahooo' is still as fresh as ever in my memory.

- Seeing OOT running in Game on November before it's December launch
    When game shops used to the place to congregate, before the days of readily available internet.

- First time logging into Phantasy Stay Online.
    I spent hours trying to connect via dial up using all sorts of usernames and passwords. Finally logging on was an insanely exciting moment. Good old 1999.

- Finally beating Fanaxandu on the Nes back in the early 90s
    People harp on about Battletoads being rock hard, this was the game to beat on the Nes. Took me years...

- Finally getting Killer Instinct on my Snes
    Getting this for Christmas in 1995, I was never so excited to just play a game. Oh how times have changed.

- Playing Mario Kart 64 with mates
    Arguably one of the best gaming experiences ever.

- Playing ISS 64 with mates
    The original and best footie games. Hours upon hours huddled around a 16" telly.

- Finding Santa's cabin in Secret of Mana
    One of my most previous gaming memories and totally unexpected at the time (1994).

- First time seeing the MGS2 trailer on VHS 
    Came with a copy of Play, I would eventually wear out the tape from repeated play. Harry Gregson Williams sealed the deal.

- Sega Rally / Daytona arcade days
    In-house time trials with arcade dwelling goons. Such good memories. Beating someones time by a fraction of a second was euphoric.

- Playing Soul Calibur 2 in the arcades for months on end
    An entire year spent practising on the Gamecube and competing in local arcades in Dublin. 

- That summer I played Morrowind
    4 months of absolute wonder. You wouldn't believe the things I saw...

- Discovering Dues Ex
    Ahhh. An all time favourite amongst many gamers, surely?

- Discovering Warcraft
    Playing WC3 over lan. Finally thinking you've won only to discover your opponent had a secret army tucked away in the fog of war. :)

- Goldeneye 64
    Rare at their best.

- Buying my Dreamast
    So far ahead of it's time that it breaks my heart. What a machine it was.

- Halo: CE
    The first time I stepped out of the escape pod onto the Halo Ring was epic but it was the beach landing on The Silent Cartographer that blew me away completely. Of course then there were the 100s of hours myself and my brother spent playing co-op. Those times where we'd say to each other at 9pm - ' Halo?' and proceed to tackle a Legendary play through in one sitting. 

- Queuing for Halo 2
    Hours and hours spent out in the cold in Dublin's Henry Street waiting for the second coming.

- Completing Ikaruga in 1 Credit
    The music escaping to an insurmountable velocity as you dodge bullets for days in one of the best closing levels of any schump. I was proud.

- Level capping in WoW
    It took me 22 days of real time play to finally hit level 60, which was fast back in 2005. These days level capping can be accomplished in 20 odd hours play.

- SFIV Competitive play
    One of the most exhilarating experiences in gaming is beating someone in a one on one game. Street Fighter IV houses so many great memories for me.

- The EDGE forums / Bear & Badger Forums
    I first wandered onto the EDGE boards back in 2001/2002 and have been with the community ever since. An immeasurable component to my gaming experiences.
  • Thats a great list Haak. There are lots of my memories in there with the exception of any of the achievements!

Like...
    - Completing Ikaruga in 1 Credit
    The music escaping to an insurmountable velocity as you dodge bullets for days in one of the best closing levels of any schump. I was proud.
     WTAF! Mentals I cant even complete it!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Yup, top list and I share many of those.

Old school Wow...*wipes eye*
  • I've got crazy fond memories of buying my Dreamcast. I had a tip jar from the tips at work and I'd collected them for a year. Went to the shop, picked up the console with Sonic and Powerstone. I enjoyed Sonic at the time, but played Powerstone for hours on end. What a classic that was.The Dreamcast did couch co-op really well.
  • Had a similar experience with my PS2 at launch. Preordered it months in advance and had a savers card with the shop - just added £10 here and there and traded games for credit too. Launch day came and I wasn't in the first bunch. Got a call about 3 days later and went to collect it. Carried it back to Uni room in an N64 bag so no one tried to mug me for it (shops idea). Played SSX for hours.
  • Makes me think that a thread about console and launch games may be a good piece of nostalgia. Have we done that?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I could actually add a lot more if I sat down and had a good think about it. But, when I'm staggering home after too many pints it's usually one of two games that come floating to the top. World of Warcraft and Halo. I reckon I think about those two from a nostalgic perspective the most.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Makes me think that a thread about console and launch games may be a good piece of nostalgia. Have we done that?
    http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/1018/x/p1
  • Cheers. I'll have a read later.
  • Eric wrote:
    Thats a great list Haak. There are lots of my memories in there with the exception of any of the achievements! Like...
    - Completing Ikaruga in 1 Credit The music escaping to an insurmountable velocity as you dodge bullets for days in one of the best closing levels of any schump. I was proud.
     WTAF! Mentals I cant even complete it!

Didn't know Haak had achieved that lofty status.  I salute you, Haak-san.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!