Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    David Milliband is a snake. The way he kicked the boot in on his brother was disgraceful and I'm glad he isn't the prime minister.

Jesus christ, bitch tits.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • /pol/ are in full meme mode with the Cruz sex scandal.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • The thing we've been conditioned to believe is that the only good politician is some slick Man who can twist a knife properly at pmqs and bully the media into submission.

It seems to me that people want a nice person (politically) who is a complete dickhead (politically).

No, at least that's not what I want. Political instincts isn't merely the ability to stick the knife in. It's understanding that you're in a battle, and there are many tactics that can be used to win. Highlighting Tory policy stupidity and nasty ideology, the splits in their party over EU and welfare, promoting their own policies better, sounding passionate and engaged. You don't have to be a shit to point out that the tories are shits.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good wins for bernie. Too little too late?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not necessarily. If he carries the popular vote, there is a decent chance of getting super delegates to switch sides.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've reserved myself from feeling too happy as the news rolled in the past few days but I can't deny there's hope there

Candidates compared to GoT characters was a bit disheartening though

giphy.gif
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Good wins for bernie. Too little too late?

No. Clinton has had her run of favourable states which has built up her lead, now Sanders is getting his.

He needed to win these states if he had any hope of the nomination, and he's won them by wide margins. 81.6/18.4 in Alaska, 72.7/27.1 in Washington and 70.6/29.2 in Hawaii. Washington was the big prize, giving 101 delegates out. After those results, Sanders has taken 104 delegates to Clintons 38, cutting her lead to 237.

This is an interesting look at the race. It basically argues that if you take early voting out of the equation, the race is basically a tie. Early voters vote before any campaigning begins in their state, and so basically no one knows Sanders, but everyone knows Clinton and thus vote for her. But the more people know Sanders, the more they like him, which explains why he's been able to make up huge polling deficits, and why he does to well in caucuses, because you can't vote early in a caucus.

So what does this mean for the rest of the race? Well, Sanders profile is only getting higher, and he's been getting more and more financial clout, so can take out more campaign ads to up his recognition. Whether it will be enough or not we don't know, but the race isn't the foregone conclusion it's often painted as.
  • I'm open to some surprises along the way, but I think Sanders needs to win too many states now to have a chance of getting super delegates to change their position.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    How does now compared to HC vs BO look?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I mean I wouldn't be so sure, IR
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    I'm open to some surprises along the way, but I think Sanders needs to win too many states now to have a chance of getting super delegates to change their position.

He doesn't have to win states, he has to win the popular vote.
  • The primaries weren't in the same order so a comparison is difficult.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2008

I'm not sure that I'm reading that right, but it looks like Clinton won California, NY and NJ, which are the remaining three big populations this time.
  • Well, he does need to win states, because that's the only way he closes the delegate gap.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Winning the popular vote is impossible without picking up states along the way, but even if he were behind in states/delegates, winning the popular vote means he could argue that the super delegates should get behind him to push him over the edge.
  • The keys, surely, are New York, California and Pennsylvania. In all of these Clinton is polling much better than Sanders, even currently. But as previously mentioned beating polls has become a Sanders thing.

If you had told me that the 2016 presidential race could be run between Bernie and Donald I would have laughed you out of my lined cardboard box.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Trump wants to "read the fine print" on a petition to allow open carry of fire arms at GOP conventions. Hypocrisy so thick you could use it as mattress stuffing.

Heads up: link leads to article with auto-playing video.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • He might be right, looks like it might be an ironic petition.
  • Are websites with autoplay videos the new cancer? I swear some of them deliberately delay the playing so you're miles away, possibly on a different tab, before the noise starts. I especially like the ones where the video is of someone reading what you're reding. So you can have an echo of the previous paragraph with an american female newsreader voice.
  • Donald Trump revokes pledge to support Republican nominee

GOP panelists eager to scrap rule that helps Trump

This really looks like the Republicans are preparing for shenanigans at the convention. Exciting to watch from a safe distance - I'm pretty sure there'll be a violent reaction - and a great chance of the Democrats winning local elections as well as the presidency. I'm maybe being overly optimistic, but I'm imagining the Republicans damaging themselves for decades here.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Tea Party's already taking care of the long-term damage.
  • Oh I'd love it if it all kicked off at the GOP convention and there's a squad of open-carry gun fans there, cos all those guns will make everybody safe from baddies, for sure!
  • I've just heard Twitter has censored pro Trump hashtags. That's on top of hearing it censoring anti-Hillary hashtags about a month ago. I've grown up in a world where newspapers have political biases, but I hadn't thought about how bad it could get if social networks were to steer the conversation.

I know one of the Saudi royal family owns some of Twitter. Is it the same one Trump was insulting recently?
  • Every media outlet has its biases, it's probably unavoidable to a degree in that every writer will have their own opinion and every editor a fearful attitude in terms of offending their owners and advertisers. The candidate with the most cash, or the best relationship to those with cash is inevitably going to get the best coverage one way or another.

The policing of opinion on the Internet seems inevitable sadly. The Snowden docs about intelligence agencies having armies of alts & bots out there steering the direction of the conversation, sowing disharmony and shutting down the opposition already tells us the direction we might be heading. Luckily Internet backwaters like ours aren't likely to be bothered.

Speaking of media manipulation:

http://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/03/08/washington-post-ran-16-negative-stories-bernie-sanders-16-hours
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I find it difficult to believe that Twitter would be daft enough to start doing stuff like this. Aside from anything else, there's a chance that Trump could be president. Deliberately antagonising him would be a very dumb move.
  • From whom did you just hear this Hambo, reads like bullshit.
  • It's from random twitter peeps right now. The #WhichHillary tag was the last one. The claim isn;t that they remove those tweets btw, it's that the tag doesn't appear in the "trending" list when it should. I don't know how people are working out what should be trending.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This seems a decent look at the which Hilary thing: http://m.dailykos.com/story/2016/2/26/1491810/-How-the-Twitter-Algorythm-Works-In-Regards-to-WhichHillary

tl; dr: doesn't look like it was censored at all, it just didn't trend in certain regions.
  • Yeah I did a bit of looking around and it seems like the same kinda shit people say about the BBC. "I don't agree with it all the time, and I'm perfectly objective, therefore it is biased against me."

Still though, it's way more terrifying than biased news papers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!