Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The democrats really missed an opportunity with him.

I very much doubt the party actually feels that way, unfortunately.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They will if Clinton loses.
  • Isn't a problem with sanders that he doesn't get many black people's votes? It makes him acceptable as a vice but as a main basically dead in the water.
  • You see I don't even think that. I think most politicians in most countries like ours would rather be out of office for a while (which actually means less in America given the way powers are seperated between different branches of government) than an end to special interest groups, rampant free-market capitalism and political lobbying.

Do you honestly think most Democrats would rather lose all that money than get Trump (who they can fight in the Senate) in office?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Isn't a problem with sanders that he doesn't get many black people's votes? It makes him acceptable as a vice but as a main basically dead in the water.

He didn't when it was a choice between him and Clinton, but if it was a choice between him and pretty much any republican, he'd clean up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You see I don't even think that. I think most politicians in most countries like ours would rather be out of office for a while (which actually means less in America given the way powers are seperated between different branches of government) than an end to special interest groups, rampant free-market capitalism and political lobbying.

Do you honestly think most Democrats would rather lose all that money than get Trump (who they can fight in the Senate) in office?

If it was more than a handful who thought that, I'd be surprised. I could believe it more with most republican candidates, but Trump is something else.
  • Puerto Rico, Montana and North Dakota are the only open contests left. West Virginia, California, New Jersey and South Dakota are semi closed contests. So there are still opportunities for Bernie.

The only closed contests he's won have been caucus, aside from Democrats Abroad he's lost every closed primary. Unfortunately for him there are 4 of these left.
  • It's a real pity that we're not getting a contested Republican convention, that really would have been a treat.

Sanders would be my choice over Clinton every time, but I'd be really worried about his policies being too radical for voters and corporate America backing Trump as his opponent.
  • Isn't a problem with sanders that he doesn't get many black people's votes? It makes him acceptable as a vice but as a main basically dead in the water.

This is something of a lazy media myth. Clinton gets more votes from black voters than Sanders, but in the general, both would pick up a lot more against the Republicans. Sanders actually outperforms Clinton against all Republican candidates in polling. He couldn't do this with almost no black support.
  • Going out in style. 

• Where is my streetfights combo GIF get on it internet, that's at least a triple
  • It's amazing to think that the choice came down to Trump or Cruz, what a clown car of a party.
  • The conspiracy theorist in me is convinced the whole theatre was a cross-party attempt to keep Sanders down.
  • I like how he gives her an extra knuckle at the end there.

"This is for supporting me for the last ten years"

Clinton v Trump is as depressing as can be really. Two candidates who are completely awful (in differing ways) and another guaranteed five years of America stomping all over the rest of the world's population.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    The conspiracy theorist in me is convinced the whole theatre was a cross-party attempt to keep Sanders down.

A better conspiracy theory would be that Trump is there purely to make Hillary look good in comparison.

I don't believe that, obviously. But if you wanted to make an uninspiring candidate more appealing then one way to do it would be to have them go up against a complete and total nutter.

Like I said, I don't believe that. Trump's ego wouldn't stand for being anything but top dog.
  • Oh Christ. Trump is actually going to win this, isn't he?!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'll pop round to B&Q later and get some tools. Need to start work on that bunker in the garden soon.
  • You'll be fucked when he bans soccer worldwide as "it's a wimpy game for Mexicans".
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Trump hasn't a hope of winning a general election. Clinton has it in the bag and it will be four more years of business as usual. I'm betting the Republicans will manage to learn something from all this and cut her off from a second term.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    You'll be fucked when he bans soccer worldwide as "it's a wimpy game for Mexicans".
    eek!
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • I fear we've seen the last of mad, racist Trump now that he's chasing the votes of people with some degree of intelligence. Clinton is a properly weak candidate. The only thing she's got going for her is she's not Trump and she's a woman. So if the Donald can chip away at how awful people think he is, he chips away at Clinton's lead. He'll get a woman VP running mate for sure.
  • "I'm going to have the best running mate in the history of American politics. You guys are going to be amazed at how great she is. I've always picked the best people to support me. The best. And she's going to be the best. Black. Mexican. Muslim. Disabled. Hilary Clinton is going to be so jealous of my running mate that even she'll want to vote for me."
  • His running mate will be a Trump Steak.

• This is amazing by the way.
  • Kow wrote:
    Trump hasn't a hope of winning a general election. Clinton has it in the bag and it will be four more years of business as usual. I'm betting the Republicans will manage to learn something from all this and cut her off from a second term.
    They'll probably fix the process so that the party has more of a say in the future, but they need to broaden their appeal going forward and don't seem likely to when so many of their core voters are nuts enough to choose Trump.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    I fear we've seen the last of mad, racist Trump now that he's chasing the votes of people with some degree of intelligence. Clinton is a properly weak candidate. The only thing she's got going for her is she's not Trump and she's a woman. So if the Donald can chip away at how awful people think he is, he chips away at Clinton's lead. He'll get a woman VP running mate for sure.

I'll be surprised if he can turn the perception of him around before November. Let's remember, he's managed to offend Latinos, Muslims and women, that's an awful lot of the electorate to get back onside. Not to mention Clinton's huge support among black voters. The demographics of this race make it almost impossible for him.

Plus, a female running mate won't do much against an actual woman.
  • As depressing as this candidacy procession has been, my numbers for A-level Politics have gone up this year. Sure that will console you all when Trump is creating Moletanks to drill through the earths core on the way to invading Japan.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!