Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Kow wrote:
    Like gay marriage - you vote against it because you don't want to see a society where that exists. Democratic? I really don't think so.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this. Are you saying voting against gay marriage is undemocratic? I would have thought it's a perfect example of a democracy in action. Saying you won't recognise gay marriage even if it is voted in would be undemocratic surely.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The act of voting is democratic. Restricting the basic rights of others is not.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    The act of voting is democratic. Restricting the basic rights of others is not.

Restricting the rights of others is a dick move. It really isn't even something that should need a vote. But I don't see it as being undemocratic if a vote is put forward to vote either way.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Like gay marriage - you vote against it because you don't want to see a society where that exists. Democratic? I really don't think so.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this. Are you saying voting against gay marriage is undemocratic? I would have thought it's a perfect example of a democracy in action. Saying you won't recognise gay marriage even if it is voted in would be undemocratic surely.

Voting for something is not what makes democracy. They have elections in Iran. Does that make it a democratic country? Democracy means protecting the rights of everyone, especially minorities. Restricting the rights of one group because of a moral choice of the other group is not democratic. Even more so when it's primarily because of religious views that are not shared, in a supposedly secular country.
  • "Pro life" until birth then its in the bin with the mother and the child. It's a mostly right wing and religious view point which means things like proper sex education, healthcare, paid maternity leave and child support are never included in the debate. There's no plan for reducing unwanted pregnancies or supporting the mother and child if they do happen.

Once the baby is born it becomes about the mother taking "personal resposibilty" and "well you shouldn't have had sex then".

My father in law was a teacher in dublin and took it upon himself to teach sex education to his pupils after he had very young girls coming back from the summer break pregnant. He was basically going against the church and had to use phrases like "the church says you can't use condoms but if you were this is what they do and how to use them". He's fucking great.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's why what's happening in the US is a big deal. It goes against democratic values.
  • Kow wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Voting for something is not what makes democracy. They have elections in Iran. Does that make it a democratic country? Democracy means protecting the rights of everyone, especially minorities. Restricting the rights of one group because of a moral choice of the other group is not democratic.

I don't think that right. A democracy is a form of government where the people elecate those in power. Not sure being a democracy protects rights of anyone, minority or otherwise

I could be wrong.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You are wrong. The idea of modern democracy is that you elect leaders who will protect the rights of everyone. Whether that happens or not is another question. You can look back to Madison, Burke etc for confirmation of their intentions. That's why all incoming leaders make claims about representing everyone.
  • Kow wrote:
    You are wrong. The idea of modern democracy is that you elect leaders who will protect the rights of everyone. Whether that happens or not is another question. You can look back to Madison, Burke etc for confirmation of their intentions. That's why all incoming leaders make claims about representing everyone.

Don't know if thats democracy or the values that you want the government to hold regardless of who gets elected.

Abortion wasn't legal in Ireland nor gay marriage until the last few years. I still think we had a democratically elected government for the many decades before that.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Because of religion, yes. That's the problem.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Plus, gay marriage is a relatively new idea.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Most countries with gay marriage haven't voted on it, the government introduced it as part of citizens' rights. Which is what a democratic government should do.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Does anyone think aborting at 39 weeks would be ok?
  • Kow wrote:
    Most countries with gay marriage haven't voted on it, the government introduced it as part of citizens' rights. Which is what a democratic government should do.

I kinda see what you are saying, but if 90 percent of the populace didn't want gay marriage I don't think it's on the elected government to push that through.

I'd agree it's not something that should be voted for.

SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Does that ever happen?

In theory, I don't have a problem with it. Why should the age really make a difference.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If the country decided to have a referendum blocking women from third level education because their place is in the home, and the country had 55% male population, would that be democracy in action?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    With abortion, there are limits because at a certain point nobody will argue that we're taking about human life.
  • Kow wrote:
    If the country decided to have a referendum blocking women from third level education because their place is in the home, and the country had 55% male population, would that be democracy in action?

First off, if everyone gets a vote, yes. Second, you are assuming every male would vote in favour. You wouldn't. I wouldn't.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, but there's an immediate bias. And, democratically speaking, you would need to convince women why this was to their advantage. Similarly, you need to convince me why having no abortion is advantageous to me, and vice versa.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Does that ever happen?

Yes, but it so rare effectively no. It's usually because of danger to the mothers life if they were to continue
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    This is the problem with Trump - he has no political education or experience and doesn't understand the concept of democracy. Much as we didn't like Bush etc, they did understand this. Trump is just forcing laws through to please his base, which is not how things work.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Nothing here is a black and white issue and of course things are complicated as it depends on circumstance. It's a strange and slightly loaded thing to ask. Why would someone get an abortion at 39 weeks?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Didn't notice?
  • Kow wrote:
    No, but there's an immediate bias. And, democratically speaking, you would need to convince women why this was to their advantage. Similarly, you need to convince me why having no abortion is advantageous to me, and vice versa.

What's the bias? Because theres more men? That's a pretty harsh assumption. This is a mostly male forum. How many would vote that proposal through? I reckon none.

Again, I still don't think any of these ideals are necessarily part of a democratic government. They are ideals, subject to change and evolution. Democracy is a way to choose those in the seats of power.

SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, it's more than that, otherwise it's just mob rule.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    With abortion, there are limits because at a certain point nobody will argue that we're taking about human life.

Nobody apart from RedDave2 ;-p
    RedDave2 wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

Does that ever happen?

In theory, I don't have a problem with it. Why should the age really make a difference.

As Dante says, no this doesn't often happen. It was intended as a hypothetical, the expectation that (as kow says), the day before birth was basically as valuable a life as the day after.

I guess for me life isn't a binary "yes"/"no". It starts neither at conception not at birth, it's more a spectrum of lifiness through pregnancy. Which is why I find abortion conversations hard, as there are difficult judgement calls involved for all. I find pride at having had an abortion weird in the few cases it happens, but I guess that's more pride in women's rights which I'm all for (and absolutely lean me pro choice in general), but I don't think these things have "obvious" answers (after all, few we're argue for women's rights to kill a one year old if she was struggling as a single parent - and that's where an extrapolated argument leads one).

I do think there are limits after which abortion is pretty much akin to murder, but fortunately folk never go there. And I'm glad that I'm not the one having to decide where that line is, and indeed that's there's some kind of consensus forming in terms of when counts.
  • Kow wrote:
    This is the problem with Trump - he has no political education or experience and doesn't understand the concept of democracy. Much as we didn't like Bush etc, they did understand this. Trump is just forcing laws through to please his base, which is not how things work.

This I'd agree with but it's the system of government that should be providing the checks and balances from the 3 branches of government (ie madison) but that's how the US government is set up, its not because of democracy.

I think.

Just waiting for others to pile on me and tell me I have this arse backwards.

SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    What's the bias? Because theres more men? That's a pretty harsh assumption. This is a mostly male forum. How many would vote that proposal through? I reckon none.

But that's because there's a general lack of religion here, and that's the point. Religion has always been about control, and that includes the control of women. To assume the issue isn't in some form a biased male view thing is being naive
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The US system is set up to be democratic, you can't easily untangle them. But Trump is trying.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Nothing here is a black and white issue and of course things are complicated as it depends on circumstance. It's a strange and slightly loaded thing to ask. Why would someone get an abortion at 39 weeks?

39 weeks is a full grown baby, so usually people would consider it not ok and infanticide. Generally, 24 weeks is considered the absolute limit when it comes to abortion. This is because before 24 weeks a foetus cannot survive outside of the mother due to underdevelopment of the lungs.

Anything after that is....no.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!