Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t think that’s really a fair comparison, not least because nobody has ever tried to exterminate the British for the crime of being British.

Wtf. My point was we tried to exterminate everyone else for not being British and there is a valid comparison here with the Israeli gov, and I would judge pro israeli jews in exactly the same way as i judge pro British twats. It's condescending not to.

That’s fair, but I would be very careful of even generalising a bit around this considering the history.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    @yoss It's not really a conflation though, as Israel describes itself as a Jewish state. It has a predominantly Jewish population. It was created expressly for Jewish people. It takes great pride in, and places great importance on its Jewish heritage. I honestly can't see how referring to the people that live there as Jews is offensive. Particularly in distinguishing them from the other people who live there and who are not Jewish but are Israeli. But as I said, I won't interchange the terms if it causes offence. And I could also be completely out of touch with all this as I'm an old curmudgeon who lives in a place with hardly any Jewish population.

That’s what Israel does, sure, but that doesn’t make it a two way street. And can you imagine what it would be like to be held responsible for the actions of a place you may never have visited or even particularly give a shit about just because it is claimed to have been set up in the name of your ethnicity? Even more so if your ethnicity makes you the target of attacks and hate anyway.

Edit: @Kow in case it gets lost in the page turn.

I think the majority of people don't misconstrue generalisations. When we talk about South Africa, we talk about blacks and whites. When we talk about Ireland we talk about Protestants and Catholics. But in general, it's for convenience and we don't forget that under that there are a myriad of stories, feelings, attitudes, etc. Commenting on blacks in SA doesn't mean we are referring to all blacks everywhere or even believing that they are a homogenous group in SA. Well, maybe some people do but I certainly don't.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Generally I hear the terms black South Africans and white South Africans in discussions around SA.

But yes, antisemitism is rather different to most prejudices, and is expressed in a lot of different ways, so I’m not sure that a direct comparison really works. No other minority group is accused of secretly running the world, and the untrustworthy Jew with divided loyalties is an antisemitic trope which goes back centuries, and which this sort of conflation can bring to mind.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think any of us here believe any of that claptrap, or are in danger of becoming rabid anti Semites. We all know each other and don't have to be too guarded in our language.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I would hope not, but it still doesn’t hurt to be aware of the language being used and how it might come across to others.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It makes it easier to dismiss valid arguments as antisemitic bigotry too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Trump talking to Irish pm obviously hasn't the faintest clue what he's talking about.

Your wall will be great.

What wall?

The border, it's like ours with Mexico.

We don't want a border!

I think so yeah. It'll be phenomenal! Everybody is working really hard on it.

What the fuck are you talking about?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s faintly remarkable that anyone can make even the headbangist Brexiteer sound knowledgable about the Irish border, but I suppose if anyone can do it, it’s Trump.
  • Clueless without a care in the world.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You know he's heard about it, the Brexit, and it's really tremendous, really great people on both sides and he thinks it will be very excellent but the hard work and excellent, excellent news
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think you do, I think you do.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think it will be great for Ireland, great for your wall.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A lot of great people are putting a lot of effort into building it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The Brexit Wall I hear they're calling it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brwallxit, really tremendous
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tiocfaidh our wall.
  • Gosh, I have been ignoring trump for 2 years. But my God are we fucked. All 5 eyes countries are fucked. The satellites always get fucked first when the empire crumbles
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Proper fucked.
  • With Donald you always have this nagging feeling he's making everything up as he goes along. And because he's rich, the world goes along with him. A bit like a wealthy Forest Gump but foulmouthed and nasty.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s a damn sight more than a nagging feeling for me, more of a nailed-on certainty.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    A fact, as we old timers used to say
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Facked.
  • So, looks like trump got a big win on the border with Mexico thanks to tarrifs.

This is going to be like catnip to the orange fuck head. The spin will be epic.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Been meaning to post this in here, it sounds like the win Trump’s been claiming due to tariffs was, in fact, spin in the first place. The agreements were made months ago according to the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/us/politics/trump-mexico-deal-tariffs.html
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Been meaning to post this in here, it sounds like the win Trump’s been claiming due to tariffs was, in fact, spin in the first place. The agreements were made months ago according to the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/us/politics/trump-mexico-deal-tariffs.html

New York Times is so mean.
    SFV - reddave360
  • https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jun/13/jordan-peterson-launches-anti-censorship-site-thinkspot

Not sure if this goes here but this made me chuckle.

JPs new site is anti censorship.

If you make a comment on it and it receives 50 percent or higher down likes, the comment will be hidden.

Who wants to tell Jordan where he's gone wrong here?
    SFV - reddave360
  • That's just democracy Dave, the free marketplace of ideas in action
  • Its just too funny. It reads like an onion article with all the anti-censorship stuff, not taking videos down unless ordered by the US and then the punchline comes with the "democratic" censorship of comments. Great way to create a perfect bubble. 

Peterson is free to do what he likes and clearly he has found his market in people who think they are not sheeple and are such independant thinkers but the pure bullshit needed to do this would be beyond my own ability.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Sarah Huckabee Sanders will resign at the end of June. I cant remember the last time she did a press conference. The post is almost redundant now.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They don't do press meetings anymore. Journalists try to ambush anyone they can as they go out the gates of the whitehouse. It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!