Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • The entire US govt gets away and has gotten away with shit loads for a very long time. Trumpito is a loud twit, but the rot hardly stops there and I can't alone be past fed up with this make-the-bad-man-go-away narrative fluff. The drones that will mayber impooch him now will not be and are not being chastened into actually being decent.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It'll just bolster his base and have no other effect. The only way to get rid of Trump is for the dems to get all their weight behind a good candidate that people actually like, and beat him in the election by an indisputable margin. Anything else is just waffle.
  • Bernie absolutely upsets the DNC more than Trump ever has.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It might encourage those who chose not to vote last time because they didn't like Hillary, or those that dislike trump, but would vote for him because the economy is working for them, to change their mind. It certainly won't gain him voters. His base is his base, this won't grow it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    It'll just bolster his base and have no other effect. The only way to get rid of Trump is for the dems to get all their weight behind a good candidate that people actually like, and beat him in the election by an indisputable margin. Anything else is just waffle.

His base is around 35-40% of the population, it’s not enough to win him an election. If it helps turn independents off him, then that will help with beating him by an indisputable margin. Plus, if they don’t do this now and then lose by a disputable margin, what happens then? Can they credibly pursue this in 2021?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nothing happens next. Too much crying wolf.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The benefit of impeachment isn’t in removing Trump from office. For sure, that’d be a nice bonus if it were to happen, but it’s not the main point. The point is to put his corruption on display in front of America, splashed across the news every night, with evidence. The target here isn’t his base, it’s independent voters, it’s suburban voters, it’s those people who might be enough to push him over the top in 2020. It’s entirely the right thing to do.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It may be the right thing to do, but I have no faith that it will have an iota of effect. His corruption is continually on display, for everyone to see.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If nothing else, it makes it much harder for Trump to try and abuse his power in order to aid his re-election. Remember, this all kicked off almost immediately after Trump believed himself to be off the hook from the Mueller report. Do you really think he would have stopped at this?
  • The sorrier thing is that it took some scandal about fuckass Biden and his failson to get the opposition to force something like a hand here, like what range of Trumpian misbehaviour didn't make the grade so far.
  • Brooks wrote:
    The entire US govt gets away and has gotten away with shit loads for a very long time. Trumpito is a loud twit, but the rot hardly stops there and I can't alone be past fed up with this make-the-bad-man-go-away narrative fluff. The drones that will mayber impooch him now will not be and are not being chastened into actually being decent.
    Kow wrote:
    Yeah, I think this is all likely true. Trying to take someone like this down on a legal technicality isn't going to change anything, unless you can prove he's a pedo or something. Same with Johnson in the UK - the legal ruling is an embarrassment but if he rides it out it could work in his favour.

The need was always and still is for credible, united opposition offering a believable alternative that would tangibly improve people's lives. People like Pelosi (or Swinson or Watson) are obstacles to that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t know why this is always presented as an either/or. Impeachment proceedings don’t prevent an effective opposition candidate running against Trump. Do both.
  • Brooks wrote:
    The sorrier thing is that it took some scandal about fuckass Biden and his failson to get the opposition to force something like a hand here, like what range of Trumpian misbehaviour didn't make the grade so far.

Hey, leave Hunter out of this. All he ever wanted was to smoke crack in peace.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t know why this is always presented as an either/or. Impeachment proceedings don’t prevent an effective opposition candidate running against Trump. Do both.

I think it does, in a way. As I said, it will bolster his supporters, but anyone who even vaguely buys into the idea of Trump as an outsider to the established political cronies will be vindicated by impeachment. Anyone who listens to any number of political conspiracies will be emboldened. It will look like an act of desperation on the part of the democrats, they will look weak. Forget impeachment and focus on building up a non-despicable candidate.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Because that's not what's happening. The politicians focusing on these Mueller reports, impeachment proceeedings etc. are trying to kick Trump out to resume business as usual, without actually having to present a proper alternative politics. If someone like Pelosi is doing this, it's not to help Sanders or even Warren advance their programmes for change. Just the opposite.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I think it does, in a way. As I said, it will bolster his supporters, but anyone who even vaguely buys into the idea of Trump as an outsider to the established political cronies will be vindicated by impeachment. Anyone who listens to any number of political conspiracies will be emboldened. It will look like an act of desperation on the part of the democrats, they will look weak. Forget impeachment and focus on building up a non-despicable candidate.

Standing up to a corrupt president looks weak while letting him get away with whatever the fuck he wants doesn’t? Srsly?

Trump’s base is already emboldened, it’s the Dems that could do with being fired up ahead of the election, it’s them that need to be given a reason to get out and vote. 4 years of outrage is tough to sustain.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It looks desperate, yes. As JonB says, it might be more palatable if it was to support some real change, but it isn't. It's just sad political manoeuvring.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You step into the cesspool, you get covered in shit too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Because that's not what's happening. The politicians focusing on these Mueller reports, impeachment proceeedings etc. are trying to kick Trump out to resume business as usual, without actually having to present a proper alternative politics. If someone like Pelosi is doing this, it's not to help Sanders or even Warren advance their programmes for change. Just the opposite.

This may not be being done to help Sanders or Warren, but they are still presenting the type of progressive programme you are calling for, and impeachment proceedings aren’t stopping that, so it is happening, we are getting both.
  • It's a desperate attempt to weaken Trump in the hope that one of the moderate reformists can beat him. When it fails, it'll strengthen his 'anti-establishment' rhetoric.

Edit: I hope I'm wrong, of course, but right now it looks like a poor strategy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If all they want to do is make room for a moderate reformist, they’d have been better off not shaking the apple cart and letting the moderate reformist frontrunner for the nomination, and the person who has been consistently beating Trump by the widest margin in head to head matchups, be coronated.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's just playing Trump's game. He won by polarizing. This will further entrench that polarization.
  • Biden will be awful in an election.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    It's just playing Trump's game. He won by polarizing. This will further entrench that polarization.

It’s too late for that, Trump’s base are already entrenched. I don’t see this shifting the needle on that at all, although I can see it motivating Democrats and giving independents pause for thought.
  • The fact that it's all about Biden's son making bank in the Ukrainian oil business isn't going to help. It might all be perfectly above board, but it's going to take some convincing. I actually wonder if it's some internal Democrat thing to get Biden to step aside.
  • I mean, if you really wanted to beat Trump with strong alternative policies, the last thing you'd want is the distraction of impeachment proceedings in election year.
  • I_R wrote:
    The fact that it's all about Biden's son making bank in the Ukrainian oil business isn't going to help. It might all be perfectly above board, but it's going to take some convincing. I actually wonder if it's some internal Democrat thing to get Biden to step aside.

Trump drumming this up on the chance that Biden wins the nomination so he can run a campaign on beating "crooked Joe" in the same vein as the "crooked Hilary" strategy that worked so well last time. Fun watching the Democrat Party walk into exactly the same trap twice in a row.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Impeachment will encourage those that see trump for what he is. They will see the Democrats actually fighting and standing up to him. It will give organisers and activists a huge boost imo and will motivate voter registration drives.

It won't guarantee that Trump will be removed next year, but it won't reduce the liklihood.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    The fact that it's all about Biden's son making bank in the Ukrainian oil business isn't going to help. It might all be perfectly above board, but it's going to take some convincing. I actually wonder if it's some internal Democrat thing to get Biden to step aside.

Trump drumming this up on the chance that Biden wins the nomination so he can run a campaign on beating "crooked Joe" in the same vein as the "crooked Hilary" strategy that worked so well last time. Fun watching the Democrat Party walk into exactly the same trap twice in a row.

It's not exactly a trap when you get your own foot caught in it, and then tell everyone about the trap.
  •  They will see the Democrats actually fighting and standing up to him. It will give organisers and activists a huge boost imo and will motivate voter registration drives.

Unconvinced. The only people paying much attention are that slither of the populace already mortally poisoned by the fucking media circus. Most people are too busy or too tired to follow along 24/7 for the next cliffhanger to disappointment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!