Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • What's the consensus here about Trump pulling out of Syria? I'm giving the orange man a thumbs up on this one. Oh you cry, it has responsibilities now it's intervened in the first place, and it's only doing it because Turkey and Russia blah blah blah. I'm adopting a simpler position and maintain the less involvement America has with anything outside America the better. I've seen Apocalypse Now and approve of this withdrawal business.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • It's a cunt move.
    You intervene you see it through. It is not in Western interests either. It enables ISIS and Russia.

The Yanks have always been crap at this though. Happy to roll in with firepower but can't handle the difficult part, the aftermath.
  • Honestly I cant remember a more tragic state of affairs in my lifetime than Syria.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fucking over your allies is never a good thing.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Well that's clearly wrong, especially if you're a baddie. 

Anyway, I would vote for Trump until the end of time if he pulled all troops out of anywhere that wasn't North America. That could be his legacy - and it could be worse.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If he keeps on blocking action on climate change, then pulling troops out of anywhere is irrelevant.

Plus, hasn’t he just sent troops to Saudi?
  • Yossarian wrote:

Well that's clearly wrong, especially if you're a baddie. 

Anyway, I would vote for Trump until the end of time if he pulled all troops out of anywhere that wasn't North America. That could be his legacy - and it could be worse.

I disagree with this.
    If America or anyone else enters/invades another country they have an obligation to see it through and deliver a stable and safe environment for the population of that country.

If they should have been there in the first place is up for debate and varies on the situation, once they are in they are in.

In regards to Syria it was at the most stable place it had been in nearly a decade until Trump pulled out.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If America or anyone else enters/invades another country they have an obligation to see it through and deliver a stable and safe environment for the population of that country.

If you invade a country you have an obligation to the population to make a safe environment? Right...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Well that's clearly wrong, especially if you're a baddie.  Anyway, I would vote for Trump until the end of time if he pulled all troops out of anywhere that wasn't North America. That could be his legacy - and it could be worse.
    I disagree with this. If America or anyone else enters/invades another country they have an obligation to see it through and deliver a stable and safe environment for the population of that country. If they should have been there in the first place is up for debate and varies on the situation, once they are in they are in. In regards to Syria it was at the most stable place it had been in nearly a decade until Trump pulled out.

There's no obligation to see it through, mainly because it's badly thought out non-policy in the first place. I'm genuinely finding it difficult to support American intervention in anything and I'm surprised anyone else is too.
  • @Kow
    Well obviously a better consideration on whether or not to enter/invade is ideal but once that commitment has been made it needs to be seen through.

@Space
    Intervention and withdrawal are two different things with different effects.
    By entering they change the situation, by leaving they again change the situation.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    If he keeps on blocking action on climate change, then pulling troops out of anywhere is irrelevant.
    Arguably, being isolationist is greenist foreign policy since Wilson.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m genuinely a bit torn over US intervention in Syria. Instinctively, I am against it, and in 99% of cases, that holds true. However, Isis were genuine, complete and irredeemable cunts.

And frankly, if we are looking at US intervention historically, should they have not intervened in WW2? Would the world be a better place if they hadn’t?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Arguably, being isolationist is greenist foreign policy since Wilson.

You’ll have to expand on that argument because I don’t see it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    @Kow Well obviously a better consideration on whether or not to enter/invade is ideal but once that commitment has been made it needs to be seen through. @Space Intervention and withdrawal are two different things with different effects. By entering they change the situation, by leaving they again change the situation.

I'm amazed you're backing a US occupation over a pullout. Scaredy cat.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m genuinely a bit torn over US intervention in Syria. Instinctively, I am against it, and in 99% of cases, that holds true. However, Isis were genuine, complete and irredeemable cunts. And frankly, if we are looking at US intervention historically, should they have not intervened in WW2? Would the world be a better place if they hadn’t?

I can't quite believe you're using the McCarthy argument of WW2 as a justification for intervention but here we are, 70 years later. Wow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not trying to justify anything, as I say, I am torn on it. I do think that Syria is better off without Isis, but I do also see the arguments against the US getting involved in the first place. So yeah, I’m staying on the fence.
  • Not really, I dont think U.S attempted to occupy Syria anyway, stir up Russia maybe but I never saw it as a controlling effort.
    They had pulled back their forces there fairly heavily leaving only a small force to aid the Kurds.

Trump pulled that force out and now Turkey have genuinely moved to take land and occupy a strip of northern Syria while a bunch of ISIS PoWs have escaped.

I'm not a fan of Western and particularly U.S intervention in the middle east but I dont see Syria in the same way I see Iraq or Afghanistan because they are different scenarios.
  • Does Corbyn not support the withdrawal of troops from Syria? I genuinely have no idea what is considered left/right wing anymore.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Isis are the result of US interventions. US interventions usually turn out well, right? I mean iraq, Iran,  Afghanistan, Vietnam, Guatemala etc. They are the good guys after all. And now Trump is in charge, so what could possibly go wrong? Clusterfuck. Talking about rules or right or wrong or up or down is waste of time.
  • I really don't know what Corbyn's stance is on U.S troops in Syria tbh.

Given the man he is I suspect his concern is for the people of Syria and would support what best protects them today.
    I suspect he would back the Kurds and so would rather U.S hadn't withdrawn suddenly. All speculation though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The Kurds did the majority of the ground fighting against ISIS. They sacrificed their lives to expell ISIS from those northern areas of Syria, on the understanding that the US would help them and have their back.

Regardless of whether the US should have been their in the first place, they were there, and they made a commitment to the Kurds. By abandoning them and allowing Turkey to come in and massacre them, while also reinvigorating ISIS, is just a disgusting betrayal.

Also, none of the troops have gone home. They've just been redeployed in the region. Additionally, the decision was taken so suddenly that the troops didn't even know where they were supposed to be going when they left their bases. Some tried to enter Iraq but were refused entry because they weren't authorised.
  • My guess? Trump does anything Putin asks. The US retreating out of Syria isn't Trump's idea. Probably. This is a proxy war after all and Trump is definitely not the one pulling the strings even if he thinks he is. Putin's got Trump by the balls.

And that's the danger of foreign interventions on elections. Quid. Pro. Quo. The art of the deal. It's also the reason why team Boris' don't actually represent their constituents (voters) anymore. They are as much obliged to their sponsors (foreign actors) as they are to the people of the UK. Even more so if there's the incentive of personal financial gain involved.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Does Corbyn not support the withdrawal of troops from Syria? I genuinely have no idea what is considered left/right wing anymore.
    You can be sure that Trump isn't left-wing. Like, 100%.

I'm sure a Left leader would want troops out of Syria, but not in a way that's done to appease Turkey (a right-wing dictator) in their war against the Kurds. Trump's move was spontaneous dick-headery - like he actually knows what he's doing or gives a fuck.

You're right that military isolationism from the US would be better for the world and the environment to boot, but that's not what's happening here. Trump has talked isolationism, but he's no less involved in the region overall than previous presidents.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    a US occupation over a pullout

those aren't the only two options, it's not a black and white thing.  

Leaving some troops to help the Kurds > total withdrawal > total occupation, with no doubt many shades of grey in the middle.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m genuinely a bit torn over US intervention in Syria. Instinctively, I am against it, and in 99% of cases, that holds true. However, Isis were genuine, complete and irredeemable cunts.

And frankly, if we are looking at US intervention historically, should they have not intervened in WW2? Would the world be a better place if they hadn’t?

Oh lol

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • JonB wrote:
    Does Corbyn not support the withdrawal of troops from Syria? I genuinely have no idea what is considered left/right wing anymore.
    You can be sure that Trump isn't left-wing. Like, 100%.

I'm sure a Left leader would want troops out of Syria, but not in a way that's done to appease Turkey (a right-wing dictator) in their war against the Kurds. Trump's move was spontaneous dick-headery - like he actually knows what he's doing or gives a fuck.

You're right that military isolationism from the US would be better for the world and the environment to boot, but that's not what's happening here. Trump has talked isolationism, but he's no less involved in the region overall than previous presidents.

That's a false measure though. The question is how involved is he compared to realistic alternatives for president. Clinton would have been much more hawkish. Biden too. A war vs Iran beckons now.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Beto O'Rourke has finally dropped out.

Just need more of the no hopers to catch up with reality.
  • So trump asked UK intelligence to investigate US intelligence.... To prove that he didn't ask a foreign country to aid an investigation?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • You can't trust US intelligence because they're controlled by leftist bureaucrats.
    UK's intelligence on the other hand can be controlled by Quid Pro Quo.
    It's the beauty of the art of the deal.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • The Quid has significantly devalued though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!