Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Actually, isn't FBs core business model now selling data on the digital (Human) futures market? They have the biggest database of photos etc of users in the world that they feed into an AI that then models future predictive behaviours across demographic groups.

This enables corporations to hedge the development of stuff that they think we might need that could make us fleetingly happy (thats the best case scenario) or governments to understand what makes us malleable and easy to manipulate.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I can see a big future for that last one.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • There is no defence for Facebook - they are a bin fire, and that's all there is to it. But if you want to buy a VR headset subsidised by them, knowing they are a bin fire, that's cool, it's on you. I mean I use Google mail which is "free" and I use Amazon which is "cheap and convenient" and I use Siri which is, er, "shit" and I've signed countless Ts&Cs which no doubt mean my local gardening centre know more about me than my own mother.

This is not a good thing, and arguing that it is OK or not so bad or whatever makes you look silly and out of touch. Accept that it is a bad thing, whether you give a shit about it or not, and enjoy your quest without judgement, and stop judging for people enjoying their quest, and away we can go surely
  • How could I forget maps

or google shopping

or my fucking mobile phone / laptop

or my Ring doorbell

oK you can judge me actually
  • Funkstain wrote:
    or my Ring doorbell

You're on camera!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd love a Quest VR thing but with Facebook there, no way. I don't care how much money they have or how much they give to charity. What I do care about is that they follow me all over my online existence logging me and selling that data (and doing whatever else they want with it). I know I can try and opt out of much of it but frankly, they can fuck off.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Funk's purchasing suggests he is an awful human
  • I simply don’t live my values
  • Tbf, it's not like people have much choice in this day and age. Facebook, ms, google, apple and amazon are so dominant it's impossible to avoid them. Some of them are arguably monopolists and only with intervention from the top the issue of data and privacy can be effectively tackled.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • always a choice bro

after having been suitably reprimanded by ace, I've decided to take the money I've won off him in poker and start a new life in a cave
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hah. I'm obviously even worse. So, cave for two please.
  • hmm no room at the cave(in?), all nooks + crannies taken up by children and bears - but don't worry. I've just invested in a nice new-build cave and I can let it to you, mate's rates? (ie: £4k per month)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Shameless
  • Kow wrote:
    I'd love a Quest VR thing but with Facebook there, no way. I don't care how much money they have or how much they give to charity. What I do care about is that they follow me all over my online existence logging me and selling that data (and doing whatever else they want with it). I know I can try and opt out of much of it but frankly, they can fuck off.

Last time I did a post on FB was January 6th, which was a 'thanks for the bday msgs' post. I never 'check in' anywhere, I like the occasional post (maybe one a week) and I don't have FB on my phone. I don't know how much following they can do re. my online existence tbh, but whatever they get they can have. I use my Quest maybe once a month.

I'm not defending FB, but at the same time, I don't really care wrt using a Quest.
  • That's very much a 'for me personally' post I know.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Last time I did a post on FB was January 6th, which was a 'thanks for the bday msgs' post. I never 'check in' anywhere, I like the occasional post (maybe one a week) and I don't have FB on my phone. I don't know how much following they can do re. my online existence tbh, but whatever they get they can have. I use my Quest maybe once a month. I'm not defending FB, but at the same time, I don't really care wrt using a Quest.

The last straw for me was discovering that they were not only logging what I was looking at and posting etc on Facebook, but also everything else I was doing on my browser, even when I didn't have Facebook open at all, which was most of the time. They had a big list of data on other sites I was visiting. While I try to avoid giving data anywhere I recognise that if I'm using Google to search the net, they're going to have some record of that. With Facebook, it's like your tv had a camera so the tv companies not only knew what you were watching but also what books you were reading, what you were having for dinner and what type of women's underwear you liked to prance around the house in. I'm happy for Facebook to know what I do on Facebook, outside of that is my business.
  • Yeah be sure to run a tracking cookie blocker or enable the feature in your browser if it has it. Facebook isn't the only one.
  • And if you take the intrusiveness of Facebook’s browser tracking and extrapolate that to what they might do with all the sensors used for VR, then you should be able to see what gets SG so riled up about it.

Not saying you have to agree, just that the logic should be pretty clear.
  • Yeah I do need to tidy the living room, it's true.
  • I use Ghostery which at least claims it's doing what it's supposed to.  I see it block Facebook trackers and I'm not even on fucking Facebook.

EDIT:  Tracker blocking thingy.
  • I bought a book called 'The Age of Surveillance Capitalism' by Shoshana Zuboff which deals with this very topic. I haven't read it yet, because I'm scared it'll terrify me.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Well, fb now know what kind of woman makes me cum within 2 mins, so maybe they can start matchmaking
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • 50% of earth's population will be a big fucking database.
  • *chortle*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’ve just been given this link by Popbitch of all places.  A brief story from a local Florida new group and what they dug up on third party nominees in a few seats throughout the state.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/11/11/evidence-suggests-several-state-senate-candidates-were-plants-funded-by-dark-money/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Zuckenberg's main problem is he thinks he can code his way out of any problem he has.  A nerd who got lucky. A prick in other words.

The internet in of itself could never make money. That's what the .com bubble burst was all about. The only thing it can sell is advertising. You are dancing with the devil. It's a monster now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The devil has the best tunes tho eh.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Jesus Christ. Popbitch still exists?
  • Kow wrote:
    Jesus Christ. Popbitch still exists?

Still get that newsletter every single week.  Tif they do some incredible real long form journalism. Srsly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!