Science fiction love and hate
  • I know about the whales, I vaguely remember seeing clips of that, what number is that in?  Which is the one that Trekkies really don't like?

When I said it's bizarre how different the second film is I meant it's not bad so far whereas the first film was shit.

Boris when you say 'we've done this before' you obviously know that doesn't include me, so there's no need to point this out :). Also, I'm not interested in hard definitions of what is strictly sci fi or a sub genre of it, this isn't a topic for serious assessment in case you missed it in my tone.  Just having a laugh with badgers while I check out some ridiculous old films.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Whales are in 4. Let's talk ECO
  • Heh I'll try and get to at least 4 then.

Children of men was cool, but not amazing IMO, I never understood all the high praise.  And the dubstep ages it immediately FYI.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Chill Bill. Nothing I'm saying is precious to me. But I don't think it hurts, if we are discussing stuff, to talk about what is good Sci-Fi vs a good action film or whatever. :-)

Trek fans lost their shit over Generations I think, but won't spoil it for you in case you haven't seen it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Billy wrote:
    Heh I'll try and get to at least 4 then.

Children of men was cool, but not amazing IMO, I never understood all the high praise.  And the dubstep ages it immediately FYI.

I like the concept more of COM than the execution, but I do appreciate the long takes from the ridiculous set up nature of them. Real artistry involved.

• Has anyone pointed out to Billy that he only needs to watch the even numbered ones yet? 'Cause I don't know how obvious that is to people who weren't in a Star Trek club when they were young.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Star Wars is SciFi. Unless you really believe it's based on a true story that happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Then it becomes Science Fact or something.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Chill Bill. Nothing I'm saying is precious to me. But I don't think it hurts, if we are discussing stuff, to talk about what is good Sci-Fi vs a good action film or whatever. :-) Trek fans lost their shit over Generations I think, but won't spoil it for you in case you haven't seen it.

Tarantino should've named his film Chill Bill!

I'm almost certainly not going to get to generations, presuming that a to thing?  I certainly don't mind if you spoil anything related to the trek universe for me :)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh yeah AJ is right that would save a shed load of time and crap.

Generations...
    Spoiler:
  • Khan is pretty cool as a baddy, he's a bit Flash Gordon but I love that 1950s sci fi vibe so that's cool.

They should have just hammed this thing right up though, got Bowie in as Khan and done a few music numbers.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    . Generations...
    Spoiler:

Good
  • So I really should skip 3? Or is it worth it as a curio of sci fi in any way?  I may take the mikey but I still like to get value from stuff :)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Fine work Billy, a few lols here.
  • Kirk just getting ready his black egg weapon.
  • He's gonna give the black egg to Kahn in the nebula this is priceless.
  • During the self destruct finale why is one blonde dude wearing his sweater tied around his neck like he's in fucking Henley on Thames about to go boating (sorry Petey) hahaha, or the blonde kid on the other ship utters his dying words to the buff boss villain 'yours is superior'. Hahah yep I bet it was!
  • Bagpipes during the funeral is the second best scene in the whole film, next to the tiny aliens that enter the dudes via the ear and wrap themselves around the cerebral cortex, quite similar torture to the dude playing the bagpipes really.
  • I don't really hate bagpipes, my wife's Scottish and she's got an accordion she keeps threatening to play.
  • If you made it through TMP you've done better than I ever have.  And I like Star Trek.
  • We should do the arguing about whether Kirk or Picard is the best captain thing.
  • I'm close to drunk, and I think they're both shit.
  • I'm now watching one of the last sci fi films that I somehow missed growing up... 

'The adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the eighth dimension'

Absolutely fantastic and shit and wonderful all at once.

Definitely better than Star Trek 1 and possibly 2.

It's got Peter Weller, Jeff Goldblum, John Lithgow and Christopher Lloyd in.

Mental plot, horrible fx, amazing music, love it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I would suggest to Billy that he's started in the wrong place and that he should in fact be watching the original Star Trek TV series, but as he seems to enjoy Wars over Trek then perhaps Flash Gordon might be more appropriate.
    Get schwifty.
  • Star Trek's alright.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • You!
  • The best Star ... is Starfleet and you all know it.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Star Wars is SciFi.
    No, it's an unsubtle adventure serial in space.  Bladerunner is shi fi.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • If we’re kicking sacred cows, I’d like to mention that 2001 is dull and I found the modern take on Battlestar Galactica shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!