Science fiction love and hate
  • oh is it one of those orange and teal jobs?  ugh.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Billy wrote:
    Heh I'll try and get to at least 4 then.

Children of men was cool, but not amazing IMO, I never understood all the high praise.  And the dubstep ages it immediately FYI.

I like the concept more of COM than the execution, but I do appreciate the long takes from the ridiculous set up nature of them. Real artistry involved.

I love how well it sells the setting. It just feels real. The long take help that too. The poor CG on the pong pong ball does not.

Every Frame A Painting has a good little thing about how the camera wanders of every now and then to show stuff outside of the view of the protagonist. Works well.

• @billy No but the different periods of the day have different filters: at one point it's basically alabaster and blue and it just looks like the kinda thing you'd slap on in Aftereffects in a few clicks now. Limitations of the time, but still looks inelegant.
  • @Shabby is the EFaP about Children of Men on Vimeo? The only one ive seen on YouTube us about Spielberg's long takes and how they aren't the massive technical erection 'I can I it better than you' of the CoM shots
  • Yeah but filmed in Australia so bonza mate.
  • hard to believe Pitch Black is 16 years old now, wow.
  • Tempy wrote:
    @Shabby is the EFaP about Children of Men on Vimeo? The only one ive seen on YouTube us about Spielberg's long takes and how they aren't the massive technical erection 'I can I it better than you' of the CoM shots

Oh, weird. Could have sworn I watched it on the tubes the other week but I can't find it. It was more on Cuaron in general as he's used the technique in most of his films.
  • Off topic but I love this one. I've never watched Keaton but these stunts and gags are incredible. I really need to watch his stuff.

• But yes, sci Fi. Robots. Space. Etc
  • Loved the original Battlestar Galactica, really hammy but in a vintage way.  Loved that they launched their Viper ships through long red tubes by pressing the turbo button on their joystick haha.  Really didn't get on with the reboot series, not sure what the new films would be like - http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/feb/11/universal-plans-battlestar-galactica-franchise-take-on-star-wars

(terrible article, even makes the mistake of listing Avengers age of ultron as a Universal project)
  • I'd just like to say that steampunk was cool for about a month and then nerds ruined it like they ruin a lot of things. 

I'd also like to say that one of my guilty film pleasures is Bicentennial Man, I have no fucking clue why. I quite like the idea I guess, even though the film does is badly. 

Also Saturn 3 is another concept I liked, done in a not very well way. 

I forgot what I was saying, oh right, Futurama for best Sci Fi TV, or possibly even the original run of Red Dwarf as long as you view it in the context of a show being done in the late 80's/early 90's and that whole vibe and it had fuck all budget. 

I dunno, I mean I think DS9 was easily best Trek evar and I liked The Lexx so I'm pretty sure my opinion is invalid. 

I do like the 60s/70s plodding sci fi though, where nothing much happens other than some lofty concept being explored and not a lot else going down.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Steampunk was cool for decades before the mass nerdage took hold of it. It still is if you ignore the ridiculous stuff people in the public eye do with it.
  • We all agree that it’s shite now though, yeah?
  • Added the second sentence after you posted, I guess. No, it's not shite now, it's just all that crap the people who are publicly obvious are doing that is. I mean, that shit's fucking ridiculous.
  • There was a series started recently there....Oh crikey what was it...Dark Matter.I've only watched a couple of episodes. The android woman in it is fucking ridiculous. When accessing information or connecting to the space ship's systems she sort of blinks/closes her eyes and speaks in a slightly monotone. Utter lazy garbage.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Bicentennial man was ok, thought Aled Jones did a great job as the young'un.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can't say, apart from the pic Skez posted, that I've seen Steampunk anywhere in the real world.

I just like the historic pseudo-science stuff. Maybe some needs to make a Chaos Engine film?
  • Folk I’m mates with here in Glasgow opened a bar called Steampunk Café. Took less than a year for them to realise their folly and rename.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Can't say, apart from the pic Skez posted, that I've seen Steampunk anywhere in the real world. I just like the historic pseudo-science stuff. Maybe some needs to make a Chaos Engine film?

Chaos Engine is what I think of when I talk about steam punk. A splendid game. Loved its look. I was able to get to the actual chaos engine itself which I assume is the final boss - could never beat it.  Brigand and mercenary were my pairing - left the mercenary to the CPU.

Does League of extraordinary gentlmen count? That could have been rather good I felt. But they fucked it up. Just a wee bit too much steampunk too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • poprock wrote:
    Folk I’m mates with here in Glasgow opened a bar called Steampunk Café. Took less than a year for them to realise their folly and rename.

Are you part of the GME?
  • n0face wrote:
    Dune* is the best sci fi

*Only the first book. Only sorta the first film. And everything else is basically pants.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    n0face wrote:
    Dune* is the best sci fi
    *Only the first book. Only sorta the first film. And everything else is basically pants.

The Iron Maiden song is good.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Tempy wrote:
    Are you part of the GME?
    What’s GME? (I’m gonna guess I’m not a part of it.)
  • Star Trek 3 wasn't any worse than the previous 2 really, i'd say the first one was worse imo.
  • poprock wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Are you part of the GME?
    What’s GME? (I’m gonna guess I’m not a part of it.)

The Glasgow Metropolitan Elite

• Not enough love professed for Dark Star so far which, despite its low-budget vibe, hits on just about every one of the best space-fairing sci-fi tropes (isolation, space madness, errant AI, phenomenology, alien life, shit-hot soundtrack) and nails them. Doolittle talking the bomb out of arming itself remains one of my favourite sci-fi film sequences ever.

Enjoys the added bonus of launching both John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon and thus being the progenitor of not only Escape From New York and The Thing, but also Alien. How much better can you get?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Yeah but beach ball kaz
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!