Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • The thing is I’m sure there’s zero Tory MPs that think Theresa May is going to get them out of this mess. But the Leavers might worry that the Remain-majority party might stitch up the voting. The Remainers might worry that the Tory membership is going to give them some dribbling maniac as PM.

No ones got what they want at the moment. The vote will be a measure of their cowardice and I would have a fraction less contempt for the party if they did get rid of her. Then back to normal contempt when they get her even worse replacement in.
  • The problem is Jim thinks everything will be sorted out when we're dead. That's not a dig, but a fact. Obviously, this can have consequences when it comes to motivation.

Not getting into it here, but this is simply not true. At all.

PM sent.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I think May is working on the belief that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". She knows everyone dislikes her, but hopes they each dislike each other more than they do her, so she stays in power as a 'better than one of them gets it' choice.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I don't want this to come across as piling on to Jim, because it's not meant this way at all, but you are absolutely wrong.

As someone who is actively disengaged, commenting to a series of people who have been very much engaged, I think it's reasonably fair comment to say that it's not just a matter of opinion, it's that you are actually just wrong. History doesn't tell us that nothing will change. History tells us that things can and do change when there are people who fight for them. 

The most obvious example I can give you is civil rights in America. If there wasn't a concerted push by an engaged populous then it wouldn't have happened. But it did. It didn't fix things, because we'll never just fix stuff. But change achieved, even if incremental is change, and these things build to make a better world.

Apathy only helps the bastards, and hurts those who need help the most.
  • Apathy over so many decades is part of why things are so bad now imo.
  • I mentioned Civil Rights earlier, and more recently the strides that are being taken to improve the world for LGBTQ+ people. So I agree.
  • On the other side of the coin, Trump and Brexit are both a result of grass roots mobilisation.
  • I think May is working on the belief that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". She knows everyone dislikes her, but hopes they each dislike each other more than they do her, so she stays in power as a 'better than one of them gets it' choice.
    I think you are right and she is right to.
    Tories need to ask themselves what the alternative is.

The answer is risking one of the monster mash leading.
    Or someone like Raab/Rudd/Hunt/Davis and what will they offer that May doesn't? If they won't move her red lines then the deal won't change and this is a needless and lengthy distraction.
  • Working within our current power structures: The main concern of career politicians is to build and then keep hold of power (ie. their job and their wealth). The electoral system should theoretically ensure that the best way for them to do that is to address the wants and needs of the people. That means they should pay close attention to what the people actually want. But, er, they don’t. The political class prefer to use the press to influence public opinion and push it in the direction of their own selfish goals. It’s become a sick parody of a just system.

Brexit is a great example, played over the long game since Johnson started taking the piss out of the EU and their straight bananas all those years ago.
  • FPTP is one of the biggest issues with that. Too many safe seats.

If not PR, at least ranked voting would help. But Clegg fucked us on that with the AV vote.
  • Yep. Decades of rigging the system in their own favour. Because whilst our politicians appear incompetent from the outside, they’re mostly bloody clever machiavellian schemers working tirelessly to keep themselves on top of the heap. The problem being that it has fuck all to do with the public good.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    May’s apparently confirmed to the 1922 committee that she won’t fight the next election.
  • She confirmed she won’t fight the next scheduled election in 2022 and fudged questions about he rleaving earlier.
  • She barely fought the last one.

*ziiiiiiinnng*

Also, apols to Jim: I wasn’t being personal or having a go, obviously no one should be forced into feeling something they simply don’t. Didn’t mean to like, lay a guilt trip on you.
  • Jaco wrote:
    The problem is Jim thinks everything will be sorted out when we're dead. That's not a dig, but a fact. Obviously, this can have consequences when it comes to motivation.
    Not getting into it here, but this is simply not true. At all. PM sent.

I stand corrected, but the general point remains. Hanging about for Jesus to release us from this state of sin which we're all in would certainly lead to a political apathy, but anyway, I've learnt something new. Mainly that you're even more mental than I previously thought. :)

Anyway, back to Brexit.......
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • 2022 is an age away.
    Not sure how that will convince anyone to change their minds. Brexit is happening right now.
  • What time is the vote?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Between now and 8, result will come at 9, IIRC.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is a disaster. I can't get over the simple fact that if there are enough MPs to trigger a vote of no confidence, surely the PM is compromised and it's time for an election.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Brexit is happening right now

372d7eef0c5abe1228435d8f8e3cf0ff.jpg

“It’s hip, an it’s happenin’ and it’s right now baby!! Get groovin’ to the Brexit beat, Daddio!”
  • Thanks. Not that she'll lose.

@yoss
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    This is a disaster. I can't get over the simple fact that if there are enough MPs to trigger a vote of no confidence, surely the PM is compromised and it's time for an election.

I don’t see a GE settling this. The best we could hope for is Corbyn’s softer cake and unicorns approach which will shatter on contact with reality. At worst we end up with Johnson handling negotiations and fucking everything.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is , as we call it in school , a fuck cake.theres nothing for anyone to enjoy.
  • A GE wouldn't be a good idea.
  • Tell me more about this fuck cake.
  • Isn’t that the Momentum video?

• So … the two Tory MPs recent suspended for sexual misconduct have (reportedly, rumormill, etc) been reinstated on the condition they support May. This is just like early House of Cards.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm a bit confused. According to the BBC at least 187 tory MPs will vote in favour of May. She only needs 159 to "win".

It seems rather pointless.
  • They are Tories though, they lie through their teeth on a day to day basis.

That being said I suspect she will win.
    How close it is can make a big difference though. If it is a close victory it rather undermines her ability to lead. A landslide will all but kill off the power of the ERG and may allow he to concede red lines.

It is mistimed though, they blew their load early.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!