Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Maybe. It thinks it's Maltese.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • What does it translate as then?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I love how people like wrkid are criticising Corbo for 7/10. 7/10 is the absolute highest rating any sensible person can give the EU. I'm fucking shocked Corbo gave it that high a rating.
    I think the issue is not Corbo realistically being 7/10 for the EU, it's that he didn't even campaign to a 7/10 level.
    Compare that to Boris, Farage et al who went 10/10 balls out "This will be awesome" for leave, which is much more compelling than "<shrug> i suppose we're better off staying".

It's a similar story now. Maybe he's being a patient master tactician, maybe he's just dithering and has no idea...the point is he appears to be giving less than 7/10 in effort as oppo, when what's maybe needed is something inspirational for people to follow and latch on to.  And this just leaves space for nutjobs to come out with their trumpets blaring and bellowing "once more unto the breach lads!"
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Ref a ref.
    It's a bit of a gamble ain't it.
    Those parties together make up 51 seats.
    There are a handful of vocal supporters of a ref in both Labour and the Cons.

I think most will want to see what a cross party plan b can produce first.

If rejected that would be the time to go for a second ref.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Doesn’t mean it’s not true.

It's not true.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • g.man wrote:
    What does it translate as then?

The same, but all the rest is slightly off, e.g

Why the Google ASKING me ow I Want translated this page?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The plot thickens!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I still say thats bollocks Ram. The 7/10 comment was the one moment in the campaign that someone spoke like a grown up.

Saying 'fuck yeah the EU is awesome, I fucking love it" is an obvious lie, because no one feels like that about the EU. You can't. You can feel that its important and should continue, but no one is buying anyone going gaga for a brurocratic institution.

Its inherently less sexy than an abstract concept of leave which can mean whatever contradictory things you want people to think it can mean.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Doesn’t mean it’s not true.

It's not true.

Which part isn’t true?

The referendum was manipulated by fake news from the right wing press, the British people were lied to (both leave campaigns have admitted that) and the promised have cake and eat it Brexit doesn’t exist.
  • Will the BBC show Mays This is Fine (Night Time Edition), or stick with the football?
  • One day, he’s so incompetent he can barely read and should be shuffling around his allotment mumbling to himself, the next he’s the kind of skilled charismatic political mastermind who could have single handedly staved off Brexit. But he just coundn’t be arsed.

Corbyn never called the referendum (and fucked off immediately afterwards to sun himself and collect corporate payday’s and consultancy gigs), hasn’t negotatiated the deal to leave, didn’t set up a stupid vote on a nebulous concept with little thought as to whether it might blow up in all our faces, wasn’t responsible for the endless propaganda during the campaign ... etc. So I’m not sure why he’s getting tarred and feathered for all this.

If you believed in it so much, why not mount a better campaign for it? One not relying on a fusty old lefty dinosaur/anti-semite who should just shuffle off and die anyway? All those centrists in their smart suits? It couldn’t fail...

The EU was neither the saviour of us all or the source of all our problems. To have a vote on such a concept was idiotic in the first place, that Corbyn didn’t feel that the EU was heaven on earth was understandable. It wasn’t his battle to win in the first place, and he never called it.
  • When did the leave campaigns admit to lying?
  • Will the BBC show Mays This is Fine (Night Time Edition), or stick with the football?

The May shitshow has been bumped to BBC2.
  • So.... Huh?

What the fuck is she on about.
  • WorKid wrote:
    So.... Huh?
    You gonna bother to answer my or Larry's post, or is you just about that fire and forget?

• Erm... What the fuck did any of that mean?
  • WorKid wrote:
    So.... Huh?
    You gonna bother to answer my or Larry's post, or is you just about that fire and forget?

Will do in a bit. Was referencing Maybot's weird little speech.
  • Still Corbyn's fault, if he had agreed to take part she would have deffo had a plan.
  • This is going to penalties.
  • Anyway back to JC. You might not see it, he might not see it, might not care. But he's letting the youth of this country down and I don't think they'll forget. People I speak to feel badly let down.

He had a responsibility to try and prevent Brexit, in my opinion, as remaining was the best outcome for the people he represents. Most of his chat, when he could be arsed, was nominally pro-EU but filled with anti-EU stuff. He's always been anti-EU, I get that.

As Ram points out, if you're intending to win people over to vote to remain, you don't present a balanced, reasoned argument, and keep pointing out why the EU is actually a bit shit. You definitely don't say 'meh, 7/10, not really arsed'.

That's the job of the other lot. He was apathetic at best, actively undermining the campaign at worst.

Look, clearly there are many other fuckers with more blood on their hands. But when Nissan close down Washington and Airbus leave Bristol, then we'll start to see real damage in the heartlands and again it'll take decades for them to recover.
  • . wrote:
  • Maybe the youth wanted more than a car apprenticeship. I know I do.

It was never on him, what about all these fucking Labour grandees who actually believe in the EU and are apparently so skilled, statesmanlike and popular? They can bash out an anti-Corbyn story for the Guardian at the drop of a hat ... maybe they should have pitched in a bit more to help run a Leave campaign that wasn’t utterly mediocre. Maybe they could have played up the undoubted plus points of the EU instead of simply focusing on what catastrophe awaited should we fail to heed their words of wisdom?

Corbyn was a half arsed campaigner for remain but it was never his passion anyway. It’d be like wheeling out Tony Blair to argue against carpet bombing Iraqi children or summat.
  • Corbyn didn't campaign much in the referendum. He roadblocked or delayed or procrastinated repeatedly when the official remain campaign tried to get him more involved in campaigning, tv appearances. The official campaign had various Tory fucks and Jack Straw's son involved so that might explain his lack of cooperation. He didn't want to do any inter-party shit seeing how Labour got burned for the same during the scots ref. Cameron, sensing defeat, freed up a whole week of his Tory PR Shit Show to let Labour do stuff and try and grab the headlines. Corbyn did fuck all. Gordon Brown had to end up giving some low-key speech. He didn't cooperate with that sort of campaigning at all, which is sort of laudable but the end result was the Labour leader was pretty low-key.
    (All this stuff is from Tim Shipman's first book so reasonably reliable but hardly gospel). 

Since then he's been pretty caught. It's not his place to drag the Tories out of this against their will, get the blame from his own voters for killing it and entrench the Tories in government. Yes Brexit is more important but what can he do? If there's any chance of Remaining, it has to be at the end of the process. The country won't go for it yet.
  • Fair enough. He was honest. It contributed to the greatest own goal in this country's history and people losing their jobs. Brilliant.

I'm glad he stuck to his principles and didn't play the game to win like the slimy fuckers who got the result.
  • People were working in shitty zero-hour contract jobs, visiting food banks and being harassed into volunteer shelf-stacking in order to obtain their dole money anyway. In plenty of places ‘leave’ proved attractive simply because people thought anything must be better than this.

(I think those people were manipulated into seeing the EU as some bogeyman to distract them from the real sources of their misery but that’s besides the point)

He wasn’t the only one campaigning out there, plenty could have stepped up. But as ever with Corbyn, should something good happen it happened despite him and should anything go wrong it’s inherently his own uselessness which was entirely to blame.
  • . wrote:
  • Apparently there's some Leave Cabinet Scum Bags trying to get a 'managed No deal' going that involves getting a year long extension to article 50 before leaving without a deal (except the mini deals that they want).
  • Hammond has been telling business bosses, including the boss of Tesco, that no deal will be taken off the table soon and art 50 extended.

The I are suggesting May will go for a softer brexit.
  • . wrote:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!