Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Roujin wrote:
    I hope it takes 6 minutes for a member state to veto the extension.

All it requires is a promise by the ERG/ some Bannon bullshit to get Orban to do it (assuming they still have voting rights)

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • PREPARE FOR DISAPPOINTMENT
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I need hope to get out the bed in the morning, ta.
  • Johnson & Johnson stock piling "Trauma Packs".
    Schools told to be "flexible" in what they feed kids at lunch.

Its all going swimmingly.
  • poprock wrote:
    I've got a Trumpy feel about this.
    That’s where I’m at too. Every important political moment I’ve watched in recent years has gone wrong, or at best been far too close for comfort. I expect more of the same.
    This. Much like with the referendum itself...as it got nearer, the Leave threat seemed ever more real yet the consensus was still "don't worry, in the end people will do the sensible thing"...and when Trump came along it was the same.
    I was wrong about the 2015 general election, wrong about Brexit and wrong about Trump. I was completely wrong about how the government would handle Brexit (I thought they’d work something out with the EU to immediately get into a long transition phase, knocking it into the background, hoping people forgot about it and some of the heat would be taken out of the situation).

I still think there’s no chance of no deal though. See Roujs that there video of May before the referendum. You can get from that position to her current one if you think not honouring the referendum is even worse than all the fall out from leaving. I think that changes when it’s a no deal. It really is the worst outcome, the govt aren’t even vaguely prepared for it, and if no deal was better than a bad one why is she still trying to flog her shitty one.
  • Does Corbyn want a no-deal? He seems to be going out of his way to make it happen.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Does Corbyn want a no-deal? He seems to be going out of his way to make it happen.

?
  • I'll rephrase it. What is he doing to help prevent a no-deal?
  • I'll rephrase it. What is he doing to help prevent a no-deal?
    Within the realms of feasibility, what would you like to see Corbyn do to better avoid no deal?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'll rephrase it. What is he doing to help prevent a no-deal?
    Within the realms of feasibility, what would you like to see Corbyn do to better avoid no deal?

It seems there are only 2 options left and there's not a lot of time. No deal or May's deal, and he isn't supporting either, which seems to imply he's actually going for the default.
  • His magic plan of general election then renegotiation, then ratification, all without an extension to article 50 isn’t happening. So he does need a new scheme, otherwise he’s just sitting there.
  • PEOPLE ARE NOT SHITTING THEMSELVES WITH ENOUGH URGENCY. Deep breaths, deep breaths.
  • He can't support May's deal. 
    He has to be seen to be attempting to make changes to her deal that that bring it closer to his idea of a deal.
    She won't listen of course but fuck it.

Thing is, if May's deal passes we then begin discussing, amongst other things, how we solve the Irish border. One way is a CU. He needs to push that now or questions will be asked if he tries to push it as a backstop solution.

He literally can't do anything anyway. He can't get anything through parliament.
    All he can really do is state what he thinks the best solution is, meet with May to be seen to be attempting to get a deal sorted and sit tight until the inevitable May deal or no deal vote.
  • monkey wrote:
    His magic plan of general election then renegotiation, then ratification, all without an extension to article 50 isn’t happening. So he does need a new scheme, otherwise he’s just sitting there.

Why do you think he supported the Cooper amendment?
  • There is literally nothing anyone but Theresa May can do.
    If she won't change her red lines then we may as well have the Valentines vote tomorrow.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    his idea of a deal.

Which is?
  • May's deal but with CU and legally binding protection for worker rights, food etc. (which would more than likely eliminate the requirement of a backstop)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Permanent CU and SM alignment.
  • Well that does actually sound more sensible, although he's obviously not going to get it. Given that he's not, isn't it about time he just told his party to get on board, or is he hoping for a miracle sky diving tradgedy to befall May?
  • Party politics bullshit innit.
    He may well whip them to vote for her deal to avoid no deal but that won't happen until the very, very last minute.

I think it's more likely he will whip them to abstain. That will probably be enough to get her deal through.
  • Abstain is a fucking dangerous game isn't it?
  • Jesus, the one's that actually do abstain are the ones who want a deal. The no deal Labour MP's will vote.
  • I seriously dont understand how we are getting anything else but a hard, no deal exit from the union.

May won't move on her twatty red lines because of leave voter outrage. No one is going to seriously propose remain after so long spent fucking about (even though thats the only sane course of action). Corbzy wants us to leave but has to be seen to be different to May.

March the 29th is approaching and I can't help but notice that guidance is being issued and supplies are being stockpiled "in the event of a no deal brexit" by more and more services and suppliers. You can't seriously govern for a managed deal and tell your public services and major private commercial entities required for the country to function to pack their spare pants cos we might shit ourselves at the same time. I mean you can, but that's the sort of thing you'd do if you weren't very confident you were going to get your managed deal but didn't want to openly say it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I don't trust the Nationalists either. Their reason d'etre is independence ffs. Mogg-Johnson fuckers will be plotting to take care of big business when the curtain falls. None of this looks remotely good, and by good I mean not-totally-apocalyptic.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Pols know what no deal means: martial law, rationing, running out of vital medicines, civil unrest on a scale that this country hasn’t seen in centuries.

The vast majority of MPs won’t want to see this happen.
  • Sounds like half of them might abstain.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I very much doubt that.
  • The whole thing is a numbers game.
    The last meaningful vote was a landslide but not many were no dealers. 
    80 odd ERG, 10 DUP and a handful of Labour MPs, it's a large group in of itself but the only group that support no deal.

If an MP is remain/soft deal/May deal/second ref now they would have to back May's deal or abstain given a last minute option.

May already has 202 votes for her deal. I don't think there are that many MPs that support no deal.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But she'd have to make a third option available if it looked like her deal still wouldn't pass? Surely??
  • monkey wrote:
    His magic plan of general election then renegotiation, then ratification, all without an extension to article 50 isn’t happening. So he does need a new scheme, otherwise he’s just sitting there.
    Why do you think he supported the Cooper amendment?
    Because he's too much of dick to propose his own?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!