Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • LivDiv wrote:
    May just said this... "Working people always pay the price of Labour," Is she fucking drunk!?!
    I think this was in a bit about Birmingham bin strikes. Which she's blaming on the Labour council. The Labour council that has had it's budget cut by 50% since 2010 by the Conservative government. It's apparently Labour's fault that my bins are quietly festering at the end of my drive in the unseasonable warmth.
  • Alberto Costa has been sacked for his amendment. This was an exchange between Sajid Javid and the Home Affairs Select Committee:

SM: "What’s wrong with the amendment?"
    SJ: "Nothing”
    SM "So is the Government supporting it then?"
    SJ: “Yes, what do you mean now? When was the government not supporting it? Where did you hear that?”
    SM: "Yesterday"
    SJ: “From who?”
    SM: "The Prime Minister"
    SJ "Did you…"
  • No comments on tonight's votes?

The Labour amendment has been defeated by 323 votes to 240 – a majority of 83.

The SNP amendment has been defeated by 324 votes to 288 – a majority of 36.

Alberto Costa moves his, and it goes through on the nod.

The Cooper amendment has passed by 502 votes to 20 – a majority of 482.
  • What were the two that passed? Didn't think the Labour one had a hope in hell.

Costa was about guaranteeing EU citizens rights no matter what right?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What's all that mean then?
  • Oh, Cooper amendment is for a vote on a short extension of Art 50 should May's deal be rejected on March 12th.

It's another blockade in the way of no deal I guess but not that big a thing.

Biggest news on it seems to be that while most of the ERG abstained some voted against defying May.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What were the two that passed? Didn't think the Labour one had a hope in hell. Costa was about guaranteeing EU citizens rights no matter what right?

EU citizens rights, and an Article 50 extension if MP's reject Mays deal again, and also affirm the wish to avoid no deal.

As to what it means, well Labours version of Brexit is far closer to being acceptable to MP's than Mays. If Brexit happens, it's probably going to be closer to what Labour have proposed. The SNP amendment was about avoiding no deal, which basically everyone but the Government voted for, but if it comes to another vote in 2 weeks, plenty of Tories will move the other way as we'll be on a cliff edge.

Finally, May parroted a lot of what Coopers amendment said, but without a vote on it nothing is binding. She's shown she's the most untrustworthy person in the entire House, so Cooper forced the vote and MP's overwhelmingly voted for it, meaning an extension to Article 50 is almost certain in the event May's deal is defeated again. The only question is then what the reason for the delay is. It could be for a second referendum, or May could crumble and begin negotiations on a Customs Union.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We can't unilaterally get an extension - presumptive the EU will agree? You'd expect them to, but it needs 27 OKs...
  • They will if we give them a reason, like "we're putting the WA to a public vote" or "i'm erasing my dumbass red lines and working out a Customs Union deal"
  • We shouldn't be humanising May.
  • Jesus fucking christ
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This brexit ferry fiasco then. Am I right in thinking that the government negotiated a contract to supply ferries, with a company that couldn't fulfil the contract because they had no experience in the ferry industry? And that they way in which the contract was tendered breach procurement policy/legislation and as a result the government has had to pay £30 odd million to euro tunnel, for negotiating a contract that no longer exists?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Essentially, yes.  Though there were other ferry companies too, which maybe do have ferries?
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So it sounds like people suddenly think May's deal is OK and might get through

Woo

Democracy FTW
  • But Brady and other leading Tory backbenchers – who fear the alternative to May’s deal would be a no-deal Brexit, a lengthy delay or a second referendum – now seem prepared to drop their demand on condition that they win reassurances that the backstop will be temporary and does not risk locking the UK into a permanent EU customs union.
    They still can’t get this though can they? They’re seemingly after a way the wording of the WA can be messed around with enough to give them a face-saving way of voting for it.

The DUP probably won’t budge, but the spineless Remain Tories will vote for it if they become isolated in their opposition. Plus Labour rebels. I’d be surprised if that equals a majority though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm starting to think it will, given the running down of the clock / EU maybe not agreeing to an extension / risk of no deal.  I don't think it's what the majority want, or what the majority of MPs would choose in any sensible period of parliament, but that's simply not where we're at.
  • It has to be remembered that Tories are spineless cunts when it comes to opposing their own party.

Labour should back her deal pending confirmation in a referendum, and if they don't agree to a referendum whip to vote it down.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/mar/08/uk-vulnerable-to-money-laundering-on-a-massive-scale-find-mps

For those wondering what and who unofficially powered the Brexiteer campaign in 2016. Make no mistake, it's not just the Russians. It's any opportunist who needs to obscure the origins of dirty money.

Above should be a wake up call for other countries in the EU. Dark money can give foreign actors enormous undesirable leverage over homeland politics. Something which should be avoided at all costs.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • This will be the Brexiteer 'Stabbed in the back' myth if and when Brexit proceeds and goes to shit. And it will of course, no doubt about that. Obvious analogue being the German Dolchstosslegende the nazi's liked to promote in the 1920's-1930's. And we know how much the (alt-)right loves to embrace their conspiracy theories.....

Guess who'll carry the blame once recession hits despite the Tories helming Brexit.
    Spoiler:
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • May's going to lose. I'll take all bets.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Tue.
  • If the defeat is by close to 100 or so I reckon she'll step down, and I think it will be. She could cling on but I reckon she'll be ousted by her own party. If that happens I'm not sure who'll even ask the EU for an extension. The new leader maybers? Maybe or maybe not. Shit the pants time all round.
  • “We’ve had a change in leadership, we need an extension!”

Betcha.
  • Does an extension request have to be voted on?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!