Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Don’t worry if there is a war we’ll sort it out.
  • The one good thing about all of this is watching the Tories stabbing each other. Until they go full Nazi and declare martial law, that is.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • God forbid it'll get in the way of him privatising the NHS.

https://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/brexit-crisis

• Remain has pretty much one reason for staying, the economy. The Leave lot have a million reasons.

I felt i had to come back to this. The reason for the EU is primarily if not completely economics. all the politics around it are really to ensure equality in regards trading and employment across the different countries. When you say leave has a million reasons I think it highlights precisely the problem that leave has - they don't actually know what it is.

SFV - reddave360
  • https://brexit-petitions-count.now.sh/

the revoke petition is close to 5.5 million now. interestingly, the 'no deal' petition has increased quite a bit since last week, so it's still active, but nowhere near as much.
    split is getting close to 91% for revoke over no deal.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Remain has pretty much one reason for staying, the economy. The Leave lot have a million reasons.
    I felt i had to come back to this. The reason for the EU is primarily if not completely economics. all the politics around it are really to ensure equality in regards trading and employment across the different countries. When you say leave has a million reasons I think it highlights precisely the problem that leave has - they don't actually know what it is.

It's several demographics all huddled together. Most just want some kind of change but yes, they don't know what. Some, like the racists, want very specific changes that are never going to happen. Some wanted a focus away from the economy. Many just wanted to be heard and protest about their lives in general. A mixed bag.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Remain has pretty much one reason for staying, the economy. The Leave lot have a million reasons.

It's several demographics all huddled together. Most just want some kind of change but yes, they don't know what. Some, like the racists, want very specific changes that are never going to happen. Some wanted a focus away from the economy. Many just wanted to be heard and protest about their lives in general. A mixed bag.

That maybe the case but racist feelings aside, it's nothing to do with Europe and all to do with the UK's own government. And isn't that what general elections are for.

SFV - reddave360
  • It used to be but they were forgotten anyway.
  • Leave had a million mouthpieces. They had a coherent campaign (of lies) which they targeted accurately (at vulnerable audiences) and mobilised people to vote along emotional lines (instead of facts), backed up by 30+ years of pre-existing propaganda from our (lying) newspapers.

Remain had a few figureheads (who nobody recognised) from the Tory party (who nobody trusts), peddling one (incoherent) message that didn’t squarely address any of the lies and misinformation from the other side.

The remain campaign was complacent. It barely existed, because nobody took the threat of leaving seriously.
  • Meaninglol vote 3 tomorrow then.

Indicative votes after that, presumably when it fails. Fox is saying Gov could ignore indicative votes anyway.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It kind of does highlight the divide a bit though. I think one of the reasons the Leave voters aren't staging big protests is they don't really have the means to galvanise into action, which is the kind of frustrating thing that led to them voting for change in the first place. Some of it's too do with age, done of it class. Remain has pretty much one reason for staying, the economy. The Leave lot have a million reasons.

A rare crack in the echo chamber.

Me and IanHamlett were saying something to that effect from the start as soon as the referendum was announced. But, I think it's still quite fair to say that xenophobia wasn't only the main catalyst for the leave campaign...

...It's also most likely the central theme that unites all Brexit supporters in one way or the other...

German economic ascendancy to one end of the scale... Polish migration on the other.
    French fishing rights somewhere in-between. ~_~

Shame the remain campaign didn't ram the cost of leaving down everyone's throat in the first place.

So weak was the campaign, that the only two things I can remember were the pro BMAE (hate that acronym...) vote poster of the skinhead and Asian pensioner on a seesaw, and Corbyn droning* on about bees...

Everyone's informed enough for a fair decision this time though...

Any day now...

*buzzin'...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Meaninglol vote 3 tomorrow then. Indicative votes after that, presumably when it fails. Fox is saying Gov could ignore indicative votes anyway.

I think whipping might be pretty redundant at this stage and it seems if there were six indicative  options it'd be split six ways. 

If I had to guess I'd say most likely is Godzilla starts attacking Big Ben.
  • A rare crack in the echo chamber.

A tiny one. I'm 100% remain but mainly I'm depressed about the state of the place. The working class have been ignored by more or less everyone and I sympathise to an extent. Poor is poor and I have little confidence remaining will make them better off than they are now. The point that they'll be even worse off is besides the point. They don't have much to lose.
  • Shame the remain campaign didn't ram the cost of leaving down everyone's throat in the first place.

Project fear, innit? Don’t believe the hype.

Campaigns based on emotion instead of facts are pure teflon. Prove them wrong with facts and you’re just not a believer. End of.
  • Lol Hunt wanted meaningful vote on the 10th of April, to scare Labour.
    Totally missing the point the latest date it can be voted on is the 29th of March.

Fucking moron.
  • May: “Unless this house agrees to it no deal will not happen”

Job done?
  • monkey wrote:
    May: “Unless this house agrees to it no deal will not happen”
    Job done?

Yet another Theresa May lie.
  • She's hardening for a no deal. She's just told the house to fuck off.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Reports from cabinet earlier suggests that she has backed off no deal as she has finally realised that failing to do so would end the union.

I don’t think she’s hardening, quite the opposite.
  • That's not what she's saying on live tv.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m only reading the reports, but didn’t she specifically rule out no deal on live TV?
  • Twice they've asked if she'd ask for an extension over a no deal and twice she's said no. The people blah blah
  • monkey wrote:
    May: “Unless this house agrees to it no deal will not happen”
    Job done?

Yet another Theresa May lie.

It’s quite ambiguous I think. It’s not a million miles from saying a vote against my deal is a vote for no deal or whatever.

Fwiw I don’t think she’s ever been serious about pursuing it. It’s a shame she gave the idea so much legitimacy in the past because it’s certainly affected support for her deal now. People think we can fuck it off, go into no deal and we’ll be laughing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Twice they've asked if she'd ask for an extension over a no deal and twice she's said no. The people blah blah

From what I’ve read it seems more like May’s usual tactic of never saying anything of substance rather than an implicit threat of no deal.
  • She is hardening on no deal.
    At the same time she is hiding behind the manifesto, so hard on leaving.
    Won't acknowledge any suggestions from anyone else to change her deal at all.

She is utterly stuck fast on her deal and it sounds as though she might not put it to commons tomorrow, instead just waiting out until she knows she has the support for it, which will never happen.

At some point she is going to have to embrace changes, embrace no deal or resign. Or parliament will have to do it for her.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Twice they've asked if she'd ask for an extension over a no deal and twice she's said no. The people blah blah
    From what I’ve read it seems more like May’s usual tactic of never saying anything of substance rather than an implicit threat of no deal.

Maybe, but she's said she's committed to honour the result of the referendum at least 15 times now. I really think she'd go no deal over an extension. She keeps saying she won't rule it out, that the government is preparing for it and will do what it must if the agreement is not passed, which she acknowledges won't pass atm. I honestly think she's a one way street and while she stays it's fucked. The only hope is to get her out, although she's ruled out a GE and a second ref as I was typing.
  • I see The Guardian is saying her stance is softening. I'm no journalist but it didn't sound like that to me at all. It sounded like she'd do all she can to honour Parliment's non deal vote but not if it means an extension, because people>MP's.
  • Oh well at least we seemed to have a sane prime minister for about half an hour there. 
    May's spox, briefing journalists as she continues to speak to MPs, insists she was *not* taking no deal off the table. "The point the PM was making is that the House has voted against no deal, and will take every opportunity to prevent no deal".

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1110226012879630336
  • ‘If we are not going to leave without a deal we need to leave with a deal and we need to agree the deal we can leave with.’

This is all getting a bit mad hatter's tea party now.
  • I'm taking this to just mean no deal is still the issue if we reach April 12th without any other plans in place with the EU.

Just the usual May chatting shit trying to keep everyone on side.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!