Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • I don't think him being a twat is the only issue to be fair
    SFV - reddave360
  • More twitter scraping - breakdown of the petition by constituency. In 224 seats, the number of signatories is higher than the current MPs majority. In 5 of them, it's higher than the total number of votes cast for the current MP. 

https://www.livefrombrexit.com/petitions/241584
  • Labour have just announced Uri Geller is too Jewish to stop Brexit.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • @ Monkey 'from the Times'
    It's damning, but hardly a surprise. The concept of the referendum on the EU was a conservative ploy for votes, they set up the campaign as an internal test of the 'populism' methods of Boris against the traditional shiny politician of Cameron, and ever since the whole thing has been them fucking about trying to keep the party together and maintaining power at any cost.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • If this is true, we are totally fucked. I'm hoping they're playing it up to make no deal more realistic, in order to get the WA through. But of it's true it's really, really worrying.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I'm no nationalist but party before country is close to treason at this level isn't it?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Think the Tories are mates before party.
  • It's not that, the story is suggesting that the civil service is working with one eye on a future inquiry. I don't know about you, but I don't do my best work when I'm in a defensive frame of mind. I mean, at this level, everyone has an eye on their career etc. But plotting a way through Brexit / finding the least harmful option requires lots of honest work, good work, creative and lateral thinking, pragmatism. If this inquiry chat is real and not planted to concentrate minds it's not a good sign. Forget the politics.
  • DUP are never going to vote for May's deal are they?
  • I sometimes think they secretly want the abolition of everything that moves.
  • They want all words in the English vocabulary to be proscribed except for "No"
  • The DUP won't back anything that potentially leads to NI being treated differently the the rest of the UK. So if May wants their backing she either has to embrace the CU or somehow convince them, probably in a legal format not possible, that there will be no Irish Sea border.

To be fair, on this, the DUP are right to dig their heels in, not much of a Unionist party if they vote for division. She has as much chance of getting Sinn Fein to Westminster imho.

The effort being put in seems like lip service to keep them propping up her gov. Easier to convert 10 members of her own party.
  • The DUP are mental.

Most of their members want May's deal to keep a frictionless border, and trade with the rest of Ireland easy.

However, the DUP are mental, so are ultra hardlining with their "no different to the rest of the UK" line, thus ensuring that either the UK as a whole has to remain in the Customs Union, or a hard border has to be introduced.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My theory on the DUP is that they went for leave for one reason and one reason alone. To drive a wedge between NI and the RoI.

So they don't care if there is a hard border. In fact they would probably rather like one.

If the violence returns they will simply revert to their hardline law and order diatribe about locking up terrorists and enjoy Direct Rule from Westminster which has always been what they want too.

It is worth pointing out that whilst they were signatories to it, they were anti Good Friday Agreement during the NI referendum to accept it.

The DUP do not reflect the electorate or any significant part of it.

Good Friday Agreement Ref result was 71% yes. DUP wanted no.
    Brexit was 56% stay in NI. DUP was leave.

The fact that NI votes are watered down by a parade of different hues of Orange & Green parties , the best of which seem to have a talent for picking poor leaders and shooting themselves in the foot, means that they and Sinn Fein are in on a ticket that reflects the hardline portion of our population. The odd election rules we have here too keeps this current situation as is. Rules agreed between SF and DUP by the way as part of something called the St Andrews Agreement.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Thing is, if they were hard lining to ensure the UK stays in the customs union, you could understand.

They're not though, they'd rather a hard Brexit as long as they have full regulatory alignment with the rest of the UK.

As I said, mental.
  • I kinda feel that the SNP and Lib Dems are doing a similar thing. (though neither are as mental as DUP who were mental long before anyone heard of Brexit)
    Hardline against all things Brexit knowing a no deal scenario will play into their hands better than a soft deal.
    A disastrous Brexit is pretty much the only chance of indyref2 or anyone voting for Lib Dems this century.
  • I dunno, I think any kind of Brexit plays into SNP hands. No Brexit is actually worse for them in terms of a new IndyRef.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No BREXIT = indy ref 2. Count on it
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They have the mandate. Every district in Scotland voted to remain.
  • It's not that, the story is suggesting that the civil service is working with one eye on a future inquiry. I don't know about you, but I don't do my best work when I'm in a defensive frame of mind. I mean, at this level, everyone has an eye on their career etc. But plotting a way through Brexit / finding the least harmful option requires lots of honest work, good work, creative and lateral thinking, pragmatism. If this inquiry chat is real and not planted to concentrate minds it's not a good sign. Forget the politics.

The civil service has been a state for a while. A lot of departures, cuts, moving people around. May’s pointes the finger at them a few times for Brexit fucking up. I think they’re just covering their arses so they don’t get thrown under the bus a few years down the line.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I don’t understand.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think the start should be ‘No: BREXIT...’
  • Money down?
    SFV - reddave360
  • monkey wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    I don’t understand.

He means no deal Brexit
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thing is, if they were hard lining to ensure the UK stays in the customs union, you could understand. They're not though, they'd rather a hard Brexit as long as they have full regulatory alignment with the rest of the UK. As I said, mental.

They want a separation that compromises Sinn Fein's all Ireland aims.

What they really want is a feifdom - part of the UK in name only because of the economic comfort that gives but with local control - replete with no rights for gay/trans and no abortion - with no shops open on a Sunday (unionist councils used to chain up swings on a Sunday) - a regime dictated by their fundamentalist Presbyterian mantra. They'll be happy to have rep in Westminster so they can squeeze for cash. But they are a short sighted parochial bunch of backward embittered bastards.

This is coming from someone from the Unionist side of the NI community by the way.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's fantastic that the brits finally had to learn who they are.

The Brexit dividend in action.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Has May resigned yet?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!