Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Dear Alexander James Walker,

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.”.

Government responded:

This Government will not revoke Article 50. We will honour the result of the 2016 referendum and work with Parliament to deliver a deal that ensures we leave the European Union.

It remains the Government’s firm policy not to revoke Article 50. We will honour the outcome of the 2016 referendum and work to deliver an exit which benefits everyone, whether they voted to Leave or to Remain.

Revoking Article 50, and thereby remaining in the European Union, would undermine both our democracy and the trust that millions of voters have placed in Government.

The Government acknowledges the considerable number of people who have signed this petition. However, close to three quarters of the electorate took part in the 2016 referendum, trusting that the result would be respected. This Government wrote to every household prior to the referendum, promising that the outcome of the referendum would be implemented. 17.4 million people then voted to leave the European Union, providing the biggest democratic mandate for any course of action ever directed at UK Government.

British people cast their votes once again in the 2017 General Election where over 80% of those who voted, voted for parties, including the Opposition, who committed in their manifestos to upholding the result of the referendum.

This Government stands by this commitment.

Revoking Article 50 would break the promises made by Government to the British people, disrespect the clear instruction from a democratic vote, and in turn, reduce confidence in our democracy. As the Prime Minister has said, failing to deliver Brexit would cause “potentially irreparable damage to public trust”, and it is imperative that people can trust their Government to respect their votes and deliver the best outcome for them.

Department for Exiting the European Union.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Who is Alexander James Walker?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Concentrated Dante.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ah, of course. They still have to debate it in parliament on Monday. Nearly 6 million signatures now, a good push this week could see it climb to nearly 10 by then.
  • Dear Unlikely
    Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.”.
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584
    The debate is scheduled for 1 April 2019.
    Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.
    Thanks,
    The Petitions team
    UK Government and Parliament

April 1st.  Very droll.
  • Ah, but if they do it after noon then they’re the fools.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Appeal to EP: You should be open to a long extension, if the UK wishes to rethink its strategy. 6 million people signed the petition, 1 million marched. They may not feel sufficiently represented by UK Parliament but they must feel represented by you. Because they are Europeans.

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1110818745474314240
  • Nailed it. We are Europeans. Those of us under 46 years old were born European, with all the freedoms that entails. Our own Government are trying to take that away.
  • poprock wrote:
    Nailed it. We are Europeans. Those of us under 46 years old were born European, with all the freedoms that entails. Our own Government are trying to take that away.

I like to think of myself as a badger first, then a European...

Edit: although I don't think tusk is helping the cause here.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Christ, they're having the same argument yet again.  Just get in the bin.
  • PMQs are utterly pointless under May.
  • Sir Peter Bottomley, a Conservative, says the PM’s deal has not passed parliament because of those who want to stay in the EU, hardline Brexiters and Labour. But most people in the country want it to pass.

May says that is the message she gets from the public too.

Mays deal is supported by a majority of people in only 2 constituencies out of 650.
  • Seems like May is going to hobble these indicative votes so they can’t produce anything. Then bring back the MV and say it’s the only way forward since Parliament can’t agree on anything. It could well squeak through this time if enough Labour MPs shit the bed.
  • monkey wrote:
    Seems like May is going to hobble these indicative votes so they can’t produce anything. Then bring back the MV and say it’s the only way forward since Parliament can’t agree on anything. It could well squeak through this time if enough Labour MPs shit the bed.

It won't.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    How's Theresa May doing in her last ever PMQ?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • She's had a change of heart and decided this deal thing is rubbish.
  • Or she's going to try and push it through.
  • Definitely one of those.
  • Labour are going to whip. There goes the Labour Party too I guess. There'll only be the DUP and SNP still standing when this mess is over.
  • monkey wrote:
    Seems like May is going to hobble these indicative votes so they can’t produce anything. Then bring back the MV and say it’s the only way forward since Parliament can’t agree on anything. It could well squeak through this time if enough Labour MPs shit the bed.
    It won't.
    I hope not.
  • Fuck I don't have any Scottish ancestry, which one if you lads wants a marriage of convenience once we Brexit so I can get a Scottish passport and get back into the EU once the inevitable indy ref is retabled.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • If you marry me you can get an Irish passport.

I take the right side of the bed.
  • If you marry me you can get an Irish passport.

I take the right side of the bed.

Always pegged you for a leftie.

SFV - reddave360
  • May is whipping to torpedo indicative votes.
  • I think that’s now changed. She was going to make the cabinet abstain and give the rest free votes. Then had to offer free votes for everyone on threat of Remain cabinet members resigning.
  • *makes eyes at Rouj*
  • Shagstock would be quite a thing.
  • Bercow not fucking about with MV3. He just reiterated that it will need a substantial change and he has instructed clerks to block any attempts to get around his ruling.

May's deal is dead.
    From now on everytime she mentions it someone should ask the speaker to repeat his own words.
  • But the business motion just passed. I'm confused.
  • But the business motion just passed. I'm confused.

Just let it wash over you, hold your nose and embrace the soothing warmth of the tidal pull of pure liquid shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!