Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Probs best indication is whether you love The Queen or not.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Not really.
    I wish Liz no harm but I'm no Royalist. I think she has suddenly become more important than ever despite her limited powers, age and peado son.
    I quite like Harry, Will and their spouses, I feel we may need them in the near future.

Always better to base opinions and beliefs on reality rather than generalised institutions.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Not really.
    I wish Liz no harm but I'm no Royalist. I think she has suddenly become more important than ever despite her limited powers, age and peado son.
    I quite like Harry, Will and their spouses, I feel we may need them in the near future.

Always better to base opinions and beliefs on reality rather than generalised institutions.

Andrew is alleged to have had sex with a 17 yo. Not a pedo therefore. Dirtbag, allegedly.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • The only sane thing is to dismiss the royal family entirely. Even Boris knows this.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Royals need a bit of a refresh. I'm no royalist but I like the fact thay they exist.

Elizabeth has been a class act but she's knackered. She should shuffle off into retirement. They need to change the coronation vow to allow that to happen in the future.

Let Charles do what he has spent a lifetime preparing for. Many may have to hold their nose to suffer Camilla for that. I couldn't care less about that. She has played a low profile card well. A decade or so and get William and Catherine in who seem to be up for it.

Harry can then freewheel and run the Invicta games while his wife can slowly fade from public scrutiny. Royals who are not in direct line need to be given more slack which may prevent arseholery on the future.

It needs to be pruned. Too much dead wood on that balcony.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Probably no surprise given family but the royals need to get absolutely trashed and discarded.
  • Just out of curiosity Davy, what do you like about them? What makes them different than any other rich family?

Don't mean to sound argumentative (i realise, I kinda do) but I find it hard to understand the appeal.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I feel like royalshit is so nested in British lawcodes getting rid of them would be a bigger admin headache than Brexit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity Davy, what do you like about them? What makes them different than any other rich family? Don't mean to sound argumentative (i realise, I kinda do) but I find it hard to understand the appeal.

Don't like them as individuals. I like the idea of having a Queen/King with a role for pomp and ceremony etc. Their wealth comes with duty which separates them from the rest.

The royal bursary is a few million each year which is a drop in the ocean of the screwed up projects such as the new rail line etc.  The Brexit chaos has brought the powers the Queen has but never exercises to the point of a national incident. If they could be totally uncoupled from the legislature I'd be happier.

I think I like the sense of history they bring. There's nothing like the royals in todays world - and the general supporting machinery for creating events. It's unique in the world today and by my reckoning is worth holding onto. I'd never be one of the forlock tugging lovers with which I've no empathy mind.
  • My angle is that regardless of what I think of the Queen and regardless of how limited her powers may be, she still stands as a stop to absolute power for Johnson and his lot.

My understanding is that most countries that don't have a functioning monarchy will have an elected head of state such as a President.

My question really is.
    Who is worse, the Queen or the man the UK would elect to replace her?
  • It's not just a few million though, it's everything else, like the private security for weddings etc. That land is ours, their estate etc, it belongs to us. I'd get rid of them.
  • Again though. Take the land off them and what really happens to it?
    Fracking and nouveau riche mock Georgian pillared housing.
  • I'm down with Doug
  • I mean I love Doug but his country has Trump in the closest equivalent position.

Worrying about the monarchy is like worrying about which air freshener to get when your car is on fire.
    I dont care if you like pine or vanilla get a fire extinguisher.
  • It's a line from pre-Obama days though. I dunno. I'm not siding either way, I just think about that line a bit every so often.
  • Avoiding President Blair or Thatcher is always at the back of my mind. It also seems like a weird diversion for the left, waste a ton of energy and political capital to let the papers pick a head of state.
  • It makes no real difference to be honest. The only hope you can have is that in such a system the voters will see the point of the system and vote contrarianly such that all power has a brake on it. But we see in America the fight only has to be lost once and all the rules are deformed and wrenched out of shape (but not broken).
  • "Get Regxit Done"
  • LivDiv wrote:
    "Get Regicide Done"

Gamertag: gremill
  • Be honest, how many of you read Grem's post with the Halo voice?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    It's not just a few million though, it's everything else, like the private security for weddings etc. That land is ours, their estate etc, it belongs to us. I'd get rid of them.

I can remember some facts & figures about total bills and yes it's high but it's very little compared to what governments squander with nothing in return. They will at least indirectly generate some income via tourism etc. They are a net cost of course but having a royal family does set us apart.

And yes - they own land - but what would we do with it?  They are stewards of that land and ultimately they look after it for "us". It would end up in private ownership - no doubt some faceless billionaire crony of whoever is in influence at the time if it was to be surrendered or taken . I think the royals should be funding more things themselves - I believe they get money for refurbs etc. sometimes - that should be reviewed.  But they are more frugal than many believe. Visitors to Balmoral have reported being surprised by how basic the living standards are there for example.

Getting rid of them would literally be selling off the crown jewels. The family silver as it where. A one time, one way action that would deliver very little of benefit to the general public.
  • I don't know why anyone cares about being set apart or whatever, it's 2020 in a few days. Bin all that individualism crap IMO. That siad, couldn't really massively care either way about them. Would rather they were gone becauseI think it's a stupid insitution BUT I would also miss the comedy gold of FBPE morons on twitter posting shite about how the dress and jewellery she is wearing means she's sending subliminal message about beingunhappy with Trump, Boris, Brexit, whatever. Pure comedy gold. Gives me life.
  • davyK wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    It's not just a few million though, it's everything else, like the private security for weddings etc. That land is ours, their estate etc, it belongs to us. I'd get rid of them.
    I can remember some facts & figures about total bills and yes it's high but it's very little compared to what governments squander with nothing in return. They will at least indirectly generate some income via tourism etc. They are a net cost of course but having a royal family does set us apart. And yes - they own land - but what would we do with it?  They are stewards of that land and ultimately they look after it for "us". It would end up in private ownership - no doubt some faceless billionaire crony of whoever is in influence at the time if it was to be surrendered or taken . I think the royals should be funding more things themselves - I believe they get money for refurbs etc. sometimes - that should be reviewed.  But they are more frugal than many believe. Visitors to Balmoral have reported being surprised by how basic the living standards are there for example. Getting rid of them would literally be selling off the crown jewels. The family silver as it where. A one time, one way action that would deliver very little of benefit to the general public.

I enjoyed Shaun's video on this subject, interesting points re. the cost of the royals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiE2DLqJB8U
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The royals are great they do great for tourism they're good lads.

PRINCE ANDREW

Oh were they always bad maybe they are fuck them all.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Anyone supporting the queen here is a fucking tory.
  • While we have the royal family, we'll never break away from the expectation of automatic privilege due to class and titles. It's the Shittest system we have in this country.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I am not a fan BUT I can see the benefits of having an apolitical (yeah not really but what is?) empty vessel stood around doing meet and greets. It seems better than the alternative. Farage would have stood four or five times for election as King now. And fuck knows may have even won.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just want to make it clear , I really am not a fan. Just don't see any real benefit in wrapping it up.  I loathed them when I was younger - maybe I just don't care as much any more. The Queen mother to me was a loathsome figure but I've since revised that view in light of me not really giving a shit about them.

As for writing off uniqueness - I thought differentiation was a good thing. spice of life and all that. Oh well.

Re auto privs by birth-right - well wasn't Trump borne into privilege in a so-called meritocracy?  I don't really see that much of a difference between being a royal or being a Guinness or Rothschild except the royals have less money. Less influence too now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!