Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • When you start dashing to the supermarket together with all the neighbors.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Driving into work this morning, I heard the first thing said about dealing with the backstop that had a modicum of sense.

Lord Empey (former moderate unionist leader - the UUP) outlined a treaty that would keep the GFA intact and deal with the problem.

It would still require a great deal of work, and cruicially, good relations with the EU for it to have a chance.

It has been bouncing around Westminster for 6 months.

The idea is knackered because my impression is that Johnson has effed up any relations with the EU. But it appears to be the kernel of a solution and I can only conclude that a solution isn't desired.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Unless I'm missing something, it's essentially making a new criminal offence under UK law and hoping that deters people. I can't see that flying.
  • davyK wrote:
    The idea is knackered because my impression is that Johnson has effed up any relations with the EU..

There will be a will (I hope on both sides) to get a deal before the end. Even if Johnson has annoyed the EU, they would much rather an orderly Brexit than a fiasco.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Any deal that rests entirely on trusting him is a non starter though, as he's in negative credit.
  • Now theres talk of a general election before October 31st. What a fecking mess.
  • Still think the EU will try. As long as Boris could show something tangible they will look at it.

I don't expect him to but I think if he did, the EU wouldn't dismiss it without a good look just because he has such a prick to deal with.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Frankly actually, the UK as a whole is in negative credit. Sure it's the Tories who have spent 3 years systematically burning bridges, but I doubt any future Government would be extended much trust, and any deal done would need cast iron guarantees. Even if they trusted Labour, they won't be in power forever.
  • Jesus Christ

Rees-Mogg dismisses doctor's claim no-deal Brexit could be put lives at risk

Jacob Rees-Mogg has accused a doctor of “fear-mongering” after he challenged the Commons Leader to say how many people he would accept could die as a result of a no-deal Brexit. As the Press Association reports, Dr David Nicol, a consultant urologist involved in the Operation Yellowhammer report into the impact of a no-deal Brexit on the NHS, called in to LBC’s Ring Rees-Mogg show to ask what “mortality rate” he would accept if the UK crashed out of the EU without a deal. Nicol asked:

"Having been involved in writing the plans for mitigation and having whistle-blown because I felt they were unsafe, what level of mortality rate are you willing to accept in the light of a no-deal Brexit?"

Rees-Mogg replied:

"I don’t think there’s any reason to suppose that a no-deal Brexit should lead to a mortality rate. I think this is the worst excess of Project Fear and I’m surprised that a doctor in your position would be fear-mongering in this way on public radio."

As PA reports, Nicol told the prominent Brexiter:

"Can I remind you I wrote the plans of mitigation?"

But Rees-Mogg replied:

"Well you didn’t write very good plans if you hadn’t worked out how to mitigate, had you? It’s fortunate they are being written by other people now who are serious about mitigating, rather than remoaners."

Nicol said people could die because of potential problems with access to drugs and radioactive isotopes in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Rees-Mogg said there were “reserve plans to fly drugs in if necessary”. He said:

"This is a major focus of government policy. I think it’s deeply irresponsible, Dr Nicol, of you to call in and try to spread fear across the country.

I think it’s typical of remainer campaigners and you should be quite ashamed, I’m afraid."

These cunts are in charge. Mindless optimisms will solve all problems.
  • Pissmongering.
  • Reserve plans that the very people commissioned to write your risk assessments weren’t told about? Aye, right. Fuck you Rees-Mogg, you lying piece of shit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unless I'm missing something, it's essentially making a new criminal offence under UK law and hoping that deters people. I can't see that flying.

I think that is the case - not saying it would be easy - but at the end of the day it criminalises misuse of the border specifically.

It's too late now anyhow.

Rumblings of Boris going all in for a GE now.
  • Heh, so far so predictable.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I’ve been checking out the branding/advertising agency behind the Government’s £100m Brexit ad campaign (Engine, they‘re called). Funny that they haven’t made a single mention of it in their portfolio, client list, or social media accounts … they’re usually shouting endlessly about every little contract they have. It’s almost as though they’re ashamed of their involvement, while pocketing the cash.
  • If Johnson calls an election and wins a majority in the midst of all this, I give up on Britain. We'll deserve everything we get.
  • Unfortunately, I rather suspect we already deserve everything we get. Including him.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Worth a listen. I'm 25mins in and I'm hooked. A very interesting proposition.

The signs of Brexit analysed in retrospect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SeadvWsn_k
  • I'm in Spain at the moment and just passed an old guy cutting about the hotel wearing an obviously brand new Brexit party t-shirt.

I can only assume he's just doing it to antagonise people. Hopefully he melts in the sun.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I vote we sink this thread. British politics is Brexit and Brexit is British Politics, and we still have current affairs for any random Brexit stuff that comes up that isn’t British-politics-related. It’s confusing switching between the two.
  • We no longer live in a democracy, voting means fuck all. Yoss was not voted in, yet like boris hes pushing his own agenda ;)
  • The people knew what they were voting for when we voted to leave the British Politics thread.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But this thread was created on a good Friday
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Are you saying that

*Organises 3 pages of notes*

The agreement the forum reached on good Friday about this thread will become

*Cross references 2 pages*

Null and void if the unelected Yoss sinks it?

*Sweating, checks he's done it right*
  • If we can’t reach an agreement to not post in this thread, we’ll have to blow up the forum. It’s the only way to honour the original vote.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    British politics is Brexit and Brexit is British Politics...

Someone’s not reading from the party script.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yossisshit means Yossisshit
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bloody Acemoaner.
  • One thread is fine but what will end sooner Brexit or British politics?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!