Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Question for Remainers:

If you got your second referendum how do you see the social landscape six months before after the vote?

The questions I can’t shake are that the remain arguments will be as ineffectual as they were last time but asked in a context of “betrayal” and people like Farage talking about being heroes against the “elites”.

Does the collective batch of remain folk look like they could consolidate around anything good (the tigs fights the greens fight the libdems while ostensibly campaigning on the same ticket - what do they care about?!)

Can you feel any realistic situation in which remain wins the fertiliser that led to leave winning once before would be repaired? I can’t see it being anything but more toxic.

I feel like anyone who wants to go balls out for remain also really needs to back that up with some post referendum idea about Britain too (because the leaver campaigners don’t give a fuck but they can say what they want because they will foster and recycle hate as it keeps their bullshit in power).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d be happy with Labour’s proposals post second ref.

As for divisiveness, we’re already divided and will need to find a way past that referendum or no, I think that the idea that this stuff will magically go away on its own if there’s no referendum to be wishful thinking. At least in regards to a referendum, there’s the chance of remaining meaning that our entire political bandwidth isn’t taken up with worrying about Brexit or post-Brexit fallout and can be used to deal with some of the issues that led to the vote for Leave.

Also, if there is another referendum, I’m not sure that there’s any political will to simply put Leave on the ballot paper again. Whether this is a good idea or not, I genuinely don’t know, I can see good arguments on both sides of this, but if there is another referendum I expect it to be May’s deal versus remain. This will certainly lead to at least short term issues, but hopefully those will be shorter-term than the damage caused by leaving.
  • Devil's advocate from a complete outsider here Liv:
    If Corbyn's walkout empowered the others, what exactly did they do with this power? Or did May carry on as planned with a farcical meeting?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Remain will never ever win a 2nd referendum if they are unable to identify, acknowledge and address the issues that led to vote Leave. Going by newspaper headlines they are absolutely clueless on the matter, not to mention the current imbalance in the voting system caused by social media. In short, they need a counter narrative to Leave's betrayal (stabbed in the back!) myth. The truth should suffice but sadly everyone's too divided and confused (social media echo chambers/fake news/propaganda) to realise this. Land of confusion.

Things are looking grimm....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not sure that newspaper headlines are the best place to look for evidence that remain understand the reasons behind the vote, they aren’t really the best place for expressing complex, nuanced ideas, even if these ideas were to make headlines in the first place.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Of course, that does point to a separate problem, that communicating complex and nuanced ideas is a hell of a lot harder than communicating pithy, populist slogans.
  • In the US, Bernie and AOC aren't doing too bad a job. Corbyn could learn a lot from them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Corbyn’s not remain.
  • AOC isn't a leader. Bernie is not the nominee. The democratic party is doing everything it can to use AOC while placating her. It is doing everything it can to keep Bernie from being the nominee, and God help him if he doesn't obliterate the field on the first round, because in the second round super delegates will come back and vote for anyone but him

Comparing Bernie and Corbo is unfair. Bernie is smarter and more agile. He is also Jewish, which while not a panacea does give him some cover to criticise finance etc without being accused of using anti-Semitic tropes. And to criticise Israel.

I wish we had Bernie here. But we only have what we have.

Ps- James OB on the stump today Vs Corbo, just got an amazing Jewish caller who has basically killed off the entire show by pointing out that the real anti Semites are on the right, like Orban, who are netenyahu's mates. Corbo is not an antisemite but the fact that he can endorse a classic like Hobson's book on imperialism without distancing himself from the anti-Semitic tropes it repeats (prevalent at the times, and sadly still today) is very troubling. I agree. Corbo is basically a highly principled, driven campaigner who lacks nuance or smarts. I mean, he is actually a little bit dim.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • @yoss
    Yes I know. I still think Corbyn and Labour are on the wrong course.

I too hope Bernie gets a chance, the Dems are idiots if they block him again.
  • They will block him, but he is playing a blinder. He is not speaking out Vs Venezuela. He is not speaking out Vs assange. He is giving them.nothing. they want to invoke the rule that he is no true democrat.... That will be difficult.

They then are left with the super delegates. If he wins in the first round, that won't help.

But there are a lot of candidates, and deliberately so. I think if Warren wins, he will back her. Anyone know else, he'll run na independent campaign, supported by the greens. He will steal votes of Trump, but many off the democratic nominee.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sanders has already pledged to back the eventual Dem nominee no matter who it is:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bernie-sanders-first-to-sign-pledge-to-rally-behind-whoever-wins-democratic-primary
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Sanders has already pledged to back the eventual Dem nominee no matter who it is:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bernie-sanders-first-to-sign-pledge-to-rally-behind-whoever-wins-democratic-primary

I know

My read is that this is part of his strategy to outmanoeuvre the establishment Dems plotting to oust him on the basis that he isn't a real democrat if he looks like winning the nomination fyi
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fair enough.
  • Former Conservative Chairman, and thumb come to life, Eric Pickles has come out in favour of a second referendum to break the Parliamentary deadlock.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've just received my EU elections postal vote card.

Am I right in thinking that, in the grand scheme of things, this election is fairly irrelevant? That it will be mostly used by politicians as a public indicitve vote on who's approach to brexit has the most support?

If that's true, am I better off voting LD to boost their numbers, or should I stick with Labour (I've got Clare Moody and Andrew Adonis who are poth pro remain AFAIK) because the D’Hondt voting system will favour the big parties?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If you want to use your vote to express your feelings about Brexit, don’t vote Labour. How many times since the last GE have you heard politicians trotting out the line about 80% of people voting for pro-Brexit parties?
  • I've just received my EU elections postal vote card.

Am I right in thinking that, in the grand scheme of things, this election is fairly irrelevant? That it will be mostly used by politicians as a public indicitve vote on who's approach to brexit has the most support?

If that's true, am I better off voting LD to boost their numbers, or should I stick with Labour (I've got Clare Moody and Andrew Adonis who are poth pro remain AFAIK) because the D’Hondt voting system will favour the big parties?

D'hondt favours small parties, it's PR.

If your labour MEPs are pro remain, and will work in a European Parliament as part of a left bloc, why vote them out?

Your decision though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Surely all Labour MEPs are pro-Remain?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Surely all Labour MEPs are pro-Remain?

Eh? No.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I was thinking along the lines of what yoss said "Labour are a pro brexit party" narrative. There isn't much in the way of nuanced discussion around this, so even though at least 2 of my 6 Labour candidates are pro remain, will that carry across in the national debate. Or will Labour take that as an indication that their current position is supported?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And how much power are MEPs going to have to affect the direction of brexit? The two I mentioned are the two I'd like in, but how long are they likely to remain in the European Parliament if they get in? Are the chances of us having a 2nd ref more likely if I vote Libdem, even if they're less likely to get in?
  • I've just received my EU elections postal vote card. Am I right in thinking that, in the grand scheme of things, this election is fairly irrelevant? That it will be mostly used by politicians as a public indicitve vote on who's approach to brexit has the most support? If that's true, am I better off voting LD to boost their numbers, or should I stick with Labour (I've got Clare Moody and Andrew Adonis who are poth pro remain AFAIK) because the D’Hondt voting system will favour the big parties?

I believe this means your region is South West. I would vote Green for 2 reasons. You currently have a Green MEP in Molly Scott Cato. She is an incredible and hardworking MEP, and you should want her returned. Secondly, your region had the highest Green vote of any in the UK, ahead of the Lib Dems.

In regards to the first Labour one on the list, Clare Moody, she voted for the Copyright directive, and Molly Scott Cato voted against it. If you want a non Brexit reason for your vote, this might inform it.
  • I was thinking along the lines of what yoss said "Labour are a pro brexit party" narrative. There isn't much in the way of nuanced discussion around this, so even though at least 2 of my 6 Labour candidates are pro remain, will that carry across in the national debate. Or will Labour take that as an indication that their current position is supported?

Maybe you should look into how each mep interacts in Europe? I know the UK hasn't really interacted that well with Europe but the national party lines dont necessarily transfer over. Gonzos response has the key info - what bloc will they become part of if elected.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I was thinking along the lines of what yoss said "Labour are a pro brexit party" narrative. There isn't much in the way of nuanced discussion around this, so even though at least 2 of my 6 Labour candidates are pro remain, will that carry across in the national debate. Or will Labour take that as an indication that their current position is supported?

Maybe you should look into how each mep interacts in Europe? I know the UK hasn't really interacted that well with Europe but the national party lines dont necessarily transfer over. Gonzos response has the key info - what bloc will they become part of if elected.

But is that of any importance right now if they are going to leave in October?
  • Yeah, if you're pro-Remain, I don't see the point in voting in MEPs from a party that's committed to them not being there for very long. The more MEPs Labour return, the more they'll feel their Brexit approach is justified and the less time they'll be there.
  • For the case of Brexit elections, try not to think of remain and leave , try to think of it as either helpful or disruptive. A Brexit party mep will be disruptive and no help whereas a labour MEP, while still working towards a Brexit overall, may be able to foster good will in Europe to further UK relations. There are still 5 months before Brexit comes in effect again.

The problem is that if you view this vote in the case of a confidence motion for what's happening in the UK, it's somewhat missing the point. That doesn't mean you are wrong to do so but its voting in a way that is counter to the what the actual vote is for
    SFV - reddave360
  • Pls vote so that Count Dankula and Sargon of Akaad don't get in on the back of their pathetic sadbois followings.

I swear to God if they get in im calling shenanigans on reality and that we are stuck in the alternate timeline someone created when they invented time travel circa 2015.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Roujin wrote:
    Pls vote so that Count Dankula and Sargon of Akaad don't get in on the back of their pathetic sadbois followings.

I swear to God if they get in im calling shenanigans on reality and that we are stuck in the alternate timeline someone created when they invented time travel circa 2015.

You mentioned earlier you wanted a Shaun video. Don't need to wait for that shite, this guy constantly takes the pias out of Carl and the entire manosphere/ YouTube neonazi scene

https://youtu.be/mCPbbiiLJqo

Also this lolcow video

https://youtu.be/27Qb7sZD17U

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!