Coffee and Tea
  • This could all get expensive, and it's not like I don't already spend a stupid amount on coffee. Fiddlesticks.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My girlfriend likes tea that smells a lot like that smoked bavarian cheese.
    Lapsang souchong?

My wife bought me a delonghi coffee machine for my birthday a while back, and a few weeks ago the steam nozzle on it broke. Steam was pouring out everywhere but the nozzle. Sent it back for a replacement and we got an email saying that they had non available so would refund us, which they have.  This morning a delivery guy drop off a replacement machine. Bonus :-)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Your first pact coffee order for a quid, with this code "ctwd"...(250g) Got me some San Antonio, was just a hour out from getting it delivered tomoz. Bum nuggets.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Got my Praline Espresso on Saturday. Was a little confused as I thought I'd ordered the Black Forest Espresso, but no matter, 'tis a supremely balanced and well rounded brew for sure. Roasted on the Thursday, ground on the Friday, with me the next day. Awesome. Ta muchly, Daddy.

Got another code for the £1 introduction if for some reason the others no longer work. "LETSGO" should do it.
  • Fuck you all, I'm off to Starbucks for a mocha!

haterz gonna hate

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I love a good 'bucks mocha.  Especially with peppermint.

My high street coffee of choice at the moment is the Cortado from Costa.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Ma man!
  • 'No coffee is better than Starbucks coffee'. That should be their strapline. I certainly wish I hadn't bothered on the rare occasions that I mistakenly believe that they'll serve me something palatable.
  • All coffee is better than Starbucks coffee, because Starbucks are cunts.
  • That goes without saying.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    MARK-LFCWOG is another pact coffee code.

Oh yeah, actually here is the beauty, that I spoke of.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • The funny thing is, we have a a chain that are even worse than Starbucks.

Gloria Jeans. owned by a happy-clapping, fag hating megachurch. And the coffee is FUCKING DISGUSTING.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    SO of course the gold filter (KONE for Chemex) doesn't have a chemical reaction with the coffee solution....ahha!
  • Facewon wrote:
    The funny thing is, we have a a chain that are even worse than Starbucks.

Gloria Jeans. owned by a happy-clapping, fag hating megachurch. And the coffee is FUCKING DISGUSTING.

Indeed. Thankfully we have about a million independent cafes all around the country.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • There's never an excuse for Starbucks, everyone has an option.
  • When I was in Vienna a few years ago it surprised me that a city known for it's cafe culture seemed to be overrun with branches of Starbucks. There is a huge choice of independent coffee shops in Vienna serving excellent coffee and fantastic cakes, yet the branches of Starbucks were full with people drinking crap coffee with a nice pre-packed sweet treat - yum. I remember what I call, the proper cafes like Sperl, Prückel or Griensteidl - superb coffee served with a glass of water to cleanse the palate, good cakes and reasonable service. I say reasonable service as I've always found the Viennese to be a grumpy bunch - people seem much happier in Salzburg.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Vienna is full of tourists, lots of them probably go with what is familiar I imagine.
  • Vienna is full of tourists, lots of them probably go with what is familiar I imagine.

You're probably right, but what is the point of visiting a country and then just sticking with what is familiar when you are there? Even the bigger more commercial places like Café Central or Demel are still far superior to something like Starbucks.

Damn it, I'm getting angry now. I bloody hate tourists, particularly Brits abroad. Fucking embarrassment, present forum company excluded.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Vienna is ace. I went out of my way to find "proper" coffee shops. The local styles are brilliant, like being punched in the face with a boxing glove full of coffee beans.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Vela wrote:
    Thankfully we have about a million independent cafes all around the country.

'Tis true, although it's funny how easily you can be stuck once you get out into the burbs.

basketball stadiums are the worst. They're always in the arseend of a suburb, have shit coffee, and are generally not near any saviors.

I am spoiled, drastically, where I am though. Walking distance to multiple great coffees, and 5 minutes drive to even more. And have amazing awesome coffee supplier down stairs from work.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    Vienna is full of tourists, lots of them probably go with what is familiar I imagine.
    You're probably right, but what is the point of visiting a country and then just sticking with what is familiar when you are there? Even the bigger more commercial places like Café Central or Demel are still far superior to something like Starbucks. Damn it, I'm getting angry now. I bloody hate tourists, particularly Brits abroad. Fucking embarrassment, present forum company excluded.

I completely agree. I love eating in good local places that serve traditional food.  Unfortunately some people aren't so keen on trying new things.  On a recent holiday we met up with a family member for a meal, and he had organised the restaurant. "Great little place, does wonderful food." It was a bloody american burger/steak joint (we were in eastern Europe). Give me something authentic please. 

I don't think some are happy to take a punt on something they aren't sure if they will enjoy, so just opt for the safe option.
  • Yep.

The one exception, if you are close to amenities, in case of emergency, is american stuff in Asia.

bizarre "burgers" and such in KL were an adventure for me. It's like they were literally made out of plastic, or laminated or something.

• Facewon wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Thankfully we have about a million independent cafes all around the country.

'Tis true, although it's funny how easily you can be stuck once you get out into the burbs.

basketball stadiums are the worst. They're always in the arseend of a suburb, have shit coffee, and are generally not near any saviors.

I am spoiled, drastically, where I am though. Walking distance to multiple great coffees, and 5 minutes drive to even more. And have amazing awesome coffee supplier down stairs from work.

Dicklands stadium in Melbourne has the single worst coffee I've ever had. And that includes stale nescafe instant.

I realise also I misspelled docklands but dicklands is more accurate.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'm going to Dicklands
    Poor boys and pilgrims with families
    And we are going to Dicklands
  • So what's the best home brewed coffee solution? I'm over my pod machine and want to bust a decent cup of the black stuff out.
  • Depends on how arsed you can be, surely?

You can basically buy a proper machine and make lattes and caps and whatnot, but it is costly, one way or another, between the machine, a grinder, the coffee and the extra milk you go through.

And it obviously takes a little more time to make a coffee in the morning.

The plus side is, once you find a good source of beans, and get good with the machine, AAA coffee all the time.

Failing that, I'd just go something like a stovetop jobbie:

th?&id=HN.608012905173221467&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Again, with good beans, kicks ass. Easy to make nice and strong, and doesn't kill you for milk.

• Preferable dose is a double espresso so not interested in milk. Stove top and a grinder seem to be the one, are all pots equal or is there a go to.
  • Facewon wrote:
    The funny thing is, we have a a chain that are even worse than Starbucks.

One of those opened in leicester a few years ago. It's now closed down.

• Stove top pots are very poor for espresso. You just don't get the necessary pressure with them.

no crema

g.man
  • Get an Aeropress.  Had mine for a few weeks now and every coffee it makes is stupendous.  Does a very nice espresso-like brew with far less fuss than most.

There's also a secondary way of using it (upside down, lots of tutorials on youtube) that makes it more like a  french press type brew.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!