Coffee and Tea
  • Try a little less coffee, it does require a bit of experimentation to get it how you like it.  But tbh, it  will seem kinda like bitter treacle compared to high street stuff, it's proper old school espresso.  Just top it up with hot water if needed.
  • I'm no coffee wuss, reading around I'm thinking too much coffee and possible burning. I need to buy one and get practicing.
  • Yeah, sorry about insinuating you were a coffee wuss :D.  Too much coffee and/or burning sounds like a good bet.  Took me a while before I was able to brew something I wanted to drink.
  • So are all moka pots equal or is there something I should be looking out for?
  • As far as I know they mostly follow the design of Bialetti's original moka pot's which have been used since the 30's so there shouldn't be that much difference.  

One issue could be metal type, if you have a stainless steel model instead of an aluminium one it can take an age to heat the water, cooking the grounds and spoiling the coffee in the process.  Try boiling the water before putting it in the base, could be that simple.
  • Really you want a stainless steel one, not an Aluminium (although I've never had an aluminium one to be fair), it is said that they give the coffee a slightly metallic taste. Apart from that they are all much of a muchness (i.e. all use the same basic design of water reservoir, coffee basket and pot)

And, I pre heat the water slightly (not boiling, but hotish) before filling the resevoir, less heat therefore required so you don't cook the gounds. Apart from that, light tamping as advised and you should be good.

Edit: Ha!, hi stormy!
  • High five!

Fancy a coffee?
  • I could do with one, been on the Chimay and feel a little woozy.
  • Regarding the amount of coffee, I heap the coffee on the filter funnel so that, loose, you can't put any more on, any further spoonfuls tumble back into the container.  Then use the back of the spoon to gently tamp it down until it's slightly above the rim of the funnel, then use the edge of he spoon handle to skim it off level with the rim.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    New study on the health effects of coffee seems to indicate that you're more at risk if you're younger.

However...
    Those who consumed higher amounts of coffee (both men and women) were more likely to smoke and had lower levels of cardiorespiratory fitness.

How do you separate out the smoking and lower levels of fitness? My feeling is that the study is slightly flawed; once you reach 55, the age that the study suggests you are no longer at risk from coffee, then it's even harder to pick out what's killing your than it was when you were younger. So, are you "immune" to coffee at 55, or is the study simply flawed? Is coffee killing younger people, or are heavy consumers just more likely to smoke and not exercise?

I think they'd struggle to predict any health difficulties for me; I drink three coffees a day, which is under the danger zone of four suggested by the study. But I don't smoke, rarely drink, and cycle or walk everywhere.

Without seeing the original paper, it's hard to say. But I think the conclusion should be "coffee drinkers are more likely to smoke" rather than "drinking coffee poses serious health risks but only for young people". (Though I do accept that there are some risks, but then there are risks with everything and COFFEE TASTES SO GOOD JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • There's a flaw to that logic.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Getting really tempted by a Bayreuther coffee machine.

Not sure how much better it would make my life.

I'd probably still need to use the aeropress if I was making two cups so someone didn't feel second class.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    My Mother and Father in law were a tad generous this year and got us a Nespresso machine with a seperate milk frother/warmer unit. Also about 100 mixed capsules.

Really impressed with it, although I may not sleep for a week as I can't stop playing with it and drinking the results.

Just registered the machine and got another £70 worth of capsules for doing so on the way too!!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Got half a kilo of Fazenda São Benedito whole bean, supplied by Monmouth.

Will report back.

Pea it might be worth checking out if you can get a reusable capsule for that maker. It would allow you use or mix your own grounds for a fraction of the cost.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Have been drinking whittards pico durate Caribbean coffee today. Very nice it is to. Subtle but tasty. I generally prefer something a little more robust but I was pleasantly surprised by this.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Pea it might be worth checking out if you can get a reusable capsule for that maker. It would allow you use or mix your own grounds for a fraction of the cost.

Have checked and there's some available. Cheers. We now have another 160 capsules though, and 200 on the way FOC. I think we're good for a while....!

• I got an Aeropress for Christmas. Very impressed so far.

I also have another toy but I'll tell you about that when I've had a chance to play with it.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Been looking to treat myself over Xmas period, took the plunge with a Bialetti Moka stovetop, 4 cup stainless steel, along with some Illy Dark Roast.
    Things can only get better.
  • Oh yeah, that'll do! Try lightly tamping the grounds even though it instructs you not too, it makes a noticeable difference.

I'm back on the Monsoon Malabar and a cafetiere. Bliss.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will take a few attempts to get it right. Found a site that recommended using some cheap grounds for the first couple of pots to season the Bialetti before using the decent stuff.
  • Cool. I've never moved from my stovetop. Everyone seems to love the coffee it makes (well and I do too).

A bit of tamping, and I use warm/just short of boiling water in it with a lowish heat, otherwise I end up overheating the grounds.

Enjoy!
  • What Mostly said about using hot water is sound advice indeed. Using cheap stuff to start with is a great idea as well, Lavazza should do just fine. Have fun :)
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Thanks to you both, it's quite surprising the amount of contradictory advice that's out there, I've seen advice on tamping or not tamping, starting with hot or cold water. It's going to be fun experimenting! My mate is of Italian descent and he uses a stovetop, will be mining him for advice on Hogmanay.
  • My coffee habits have well and truly solidified.

Plantation Cafe in Melbourne Central look after me. They're expensive, and I go there too often, but they show me the love. They do a combo they call the awakening: An espresso shot (they have amazeballs coffee) followed by a small latte. It's $5, but it's sooo good, and it's basically a double shot of coffee with minimal milk, makes for lots of awakening and not much bloating. 

This morning they gave me a double shot espresso, just because I'm boss.

On the home front, they have Columbian beans that agree with my grinder at home. Perfect coffee nearly every time. Has been a godsend for the missus while she's home with Ara, I can tell you. And makes my weekends awesome too. Ara + Nash + Coffee + NBA Leaguepass makes Saturday mornings awesome.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm very tempted to buy one of these Canadiano gizmos.
    Carved out of Cherry, Walnut and Maple wood, the Canadiano is the Canadian pour-over method of brewing coffee. You place the Canadiano on your cup, add two spoons of coffee and pour hot water into the wooden bowl. 2-4 minutes later your coffee is ready. Designed for personal use and crafted for picky coffee drinkers, the wooden piece will remember each cup of coffee you make. Overtime the coffee oils of your specific beans and roast will be absorbed into the wood and be a part of your morning coffee experience.

Canadiano_Back-and-sides-1024x445.jpg
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I really wanna cuppa but time.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Is this why decaf exists then?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I have a daily outlook reminder that says "STOP DRINKING CAFFEINE YOU TWAT" to avoid circs like that. I ignore it most days.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!