Nioh
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    They're meant to be patching in proper pvp 4 free at some point.
  • It's encouraging that they are taking so much time. If it works well it'll be the best 2 player Souls combat of all time.
  • That said, if they patch out the elixir duping glitch I'll never play again. They just need to make it Estus. You start with 8 every time you die. There is no skill, only time-tax in grinding and the game wants you to die a lot.
  • i only just killed toad of toad hall, been super busy and need to get back into this.

That said, if they patch out the elixir duping glitch I'll never play again. They just need to make it Estus. You start with 8 every time you die. There is no skill, only time-tax in grinding and the game wants you to die a lot.

is that right? i thought it re-stocked you from your storehouse? i think i started with less at the beginning when i died, and i've also run out on at least one boss...
  • You've probably not died as much as me but I've found I need about 80 in the storehouse at the start of each region. They restock from there, but only if you've an exces, over your carry limit of 8.

There's a way of tricking more in to the storehouse:

- deselect elixir from shortcut menu
    - put all elixirs in storehouse

Do this from the starting point on the world map by going to the storehouse there, clicking L3, then transferring all.

- load quickest map, best I've found is Invitation Warrior of the West

-instantly use himirogi branch

-repeat

Those are some strange sentences. I love how viedogamey and weird Nioh is.
  • The last thing I did on this was kill the Bridge Bastard. He has a zillion HP but in the end I just booted him aff the bridge. Splash! Ya daft cunt.
  • He's a big Yokai on a sub mission on a bridge. Lots of patient fighting him 10 levels lower than the recommended before I got tired of his BS and just kicked him away.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I love jolly coop on this. Reminds me of when i used to stay up til daybreak playing Demon's.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Just bought this on sale, Deluxe Edition, season pass included. Another larger than life Japanese game to play through. Favourite gaming year in living memory.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • You're in for a brutal treat. Be prepared for a long haul if you're intending to finish it.
  • I'm actually looking forward to going back to it after Zelda.
  • Can I ask something. Does this play anything at all like Bayonetta? I.E a clunky fucking mess but somehow the reviewers jizz all over it like its lucy pinders tits covered in baby oil. OR is it infact a modern game that feels modern instead of being too japanese. The japs seem to like clunky controls.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Nioh plays like a faster Dark Souls/Bloodbourne with a heavy emphasis on stamina management which will see you get fucked up if you try to spam attacks or ignore your stamina usage.

However if you think Bayonetta is a clunky mess I don't know what to say. It is easily the pinnacle of 3rd person spectacle fighters, and probably the most responsive non versus fighting game ever made.
  • If it's like Dark souls then thats ok. Theres a shift between standing still, swinging a weapon or diving in Dark souls. In Bayonetta you're either stood still or slammed into a movement. It's like the entire set of animations between standing still (pressing a button) and the attack have been removed. On or off, clunky as fuck. It's responsive because there are no animations between button press and action.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dodge off-set is God speaking through Kamiya.
  • Scotswahey wrote:
    If it's like Dark souls then thats ok. Theres a shift between standing still, swinging a weapon or diving in Dark souls. In Bayonetta you're either stood still or slammed into a movement. It's like the entire set of animations between standing still (pressing a button) and the attack have been removed. On or off, clunky as fuck. It's responsive because there are no animations between button press and action.

Yeah, it's responsive. Wind ups in Bayonetta are incredibly small and animations are fast with lots of time to cancel either side of the hit. It allows you to do dodge offset and perform move-cancelling during certain windows in the animation, which broadens then move-set immeasurably. It allows you to be incredibly expressive with the combat system because it's designed entirely around player empowerment and rewards experimentation and learning. 

In Dark Souls you press a button and are committed until the swing ends. The windup times are huge, forcing you to plan your strikes. Your mastery comes from learning how to manage that against enemies that move, and how to not over commit to chains of moves. It is rigid and inflexible, which gives it weight.

Nioh is slightly between the two, like Bloodbourne. You can cancel out of some moves in lower stance, but are locked into most moves in higher stance because they have a bigger stamina drain. Mid stance move's cancellation depends on the ability. Lower stance moves are as quick as moves in Bayonetta, high stance are closer to Dark Souls commited swings.

All three have their strengths but to call Bayonetta clunky is to misunderstand it completely. You might not like it, but it's quite probably the deepest action combat system committed to code.
  • Bayonetta clunky? I've heard it all now!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If you start swinging a massive fucking sword there is no cancelling. You either chop a limb off or you miss. Bayonetta just doesnt look elegant. It feels completely digital and to me thats clunky. Animations should have a start middle and end.

• They do have a start middle and end, but they're exaggerated because that's the style of the game. She's a witch who can slow down time and run on walls, not a boring ass knight with a fucking rusty broadsword.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    At last! Nioh is getting the female NPC skins we've all been craving, as part of the next free update which drops May 2nd.  :D
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    So how important is the starter weapon choice? Haven't even gotten the chance to try most of them yet. Further, I presume the Odachi (which gives you Strength +1) is the new DLC weapon?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Not very.

And probably. I don't remember that at all initially.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tetsubo plz.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    And now I have to choose a "Guardian Spirit". Fuck. I get the feeling I need to read up on all viable builds before even starting this proper. 

Tower of London was fun though.
  • You really don't. It's all so much cruft.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Well, that's good to know. Since I definitely want to try it all before commiting.

But anyway, thinking about going sword and spear, with the strength spirit. Mainly used axe in Tower of London but the axe's inherent lack of elegance always makes it a no go in the long run.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    The amount of re-spec items the game throws at you means you needn't worry about making 'wrong' choices when levelling etc. Just play about with all the weapons and see what you enjoy. They're all viable.

This weekend is shall be dabbling with this:

C_AeFyiW0AAHD0-.jpg
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Yeah I was just wondering what I should spend all my accumulated souls on. Nice to know it doesn't matter that much. 

There seems to be skill trees as well. Anything you guys recommend that I pick first? From my own limited experience Ki seems to be key.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Buy the ones that allow dodging pulse asap. One for each stance. Buying one counts across all weapons to boot.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!