@_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Reluctantly swallowed my fair share - still watching TWD out of misplaced loyalty and morbid curiosity.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I'm seeing a Reedus shaped pattern here. Someone go and watch The Boondock Saints 2 and report back.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Some people also spit the shit out and others will say how much they enjoyed the sweetcorn.

Done a fair amount of shit spitting myself in the past, Ghost Recon Breakpoint springs to mind as a recent example. But I can't work out what the sweetcorn is supposed to be here.

People are saying it's good to chill and check out the scenery, which I'm definitely a big fan of, but I do that in other games for a break from the gameplay, not as a substitute for it. Normally the end of a session of Red Dead I'll go for a walk and watch the wildlife, or climb a mountain in Horizon and fuck about with the photo mode, so I get the relaxing, just existing in this world vibe.

But the world doesn't even appeal to me either. I watched a five minute video of a player crossing the entire map on
    Spoiler:
    as I thought I'd get to see the different landscapes on offer. One area looks green, another a bit brown. That's it. And it's all so dead. The odd group of numpties engaging you in some clumsy combat. A few garish neon signs from other players. The floating spooks you have to slowly shuffle past. For me, there's nothing to explore the world for. Even if this world was on a par with the likes of BotW, RDR2, Horizon, NMS and the rest of the open world explore 'em ups for sight seeing, it can't come close to matching the stuff you can get up to in those games

So that just leaves the story, cutscenes, characters etc. and it's Kojima as fuck innit? Unfortunately in my case, that's far more of a con than a pro. Nonsense story, ridiculous characters and cringe worthy cutscenes I can do without.

I can't understand the glowing reviews, or what happens after 10 or so hours when people seem to have an epiphany and start to enjoy the taste of the shit in their mouths.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's in tags now, sorry if anyone caught it.
  • Just edited my quote so no one catches your spoiler in my quote.
  • Some people also spit the shit out and others will say how much they enjoyed the sweetcorn.

Done a fair amount of shit spitting myself in the past, Ghost Recon Breakpoint springs to mind as a recent example. But I can't work out what the sweetcorn is supposed to be here.

People are saying it's good to chill and check out the scenery, which I'm definitely a big fan of, but I do that in other games for a break from the gameplay, not as a substitute for it. Normally the end of a session of Red Dead I'll go for a walk and watch the wildlife, or climb a mountain in Horizon and fuck about with the photo mode, so I get the relaxing, just existing in this world vibe.

But the world doesn't even appeal to me either. I watched a five minute video of a player crossing the entire map on
    Spoiler:
    as I thought I'd get to see the different landscapes on offer. One area looks green, another a bit brown. That's it. And it's all so dead. The odd group of numpties engaging you in some clumsy combat. A few garish neon signs from other players. The floating spooks you have to slowly shuffle past. For me, there's nothing to explore the world for. Even if this world was on a par with the likes of BotW, RDR2, Horizon, NMS and the rest of the open world explore 'em ups for sight seeing, it can't come close to matching the stuff you can get up to in those games

So that just leaves the story, cutscenes, characters etc. and it's Kojima as fuck innit? Unfortunately in my case, that's far more of a con than a pro. Nonsense story, ridiculous characters and cringe worthy cutscenes I can do without.

I can't understand the glowing reviews, or what happens after 10 or so hours when people seem to have an epiphany and start to enjoy the taste of the shit in their mouths.

So yeh not sure what yous mean by shit spitting but it sounds disgusting and a bit offensive if aimed at anyone directly.

Ghost recon breakpoint is a shit broken game that I'm still getting testing emails for.
    The two games don't compare in any experience and the only thing they share is a semi open world.
    (In ghost recon if you go exploring you'll find rank 30 drones etc that just one shot you stopping the exploration there and then.
    Death stranding does it differently but I'm not gonna say how as spoilers!)

You say you can't just enjoy the scenery and Fuck about but for the past two days that's all iv done in the game really.
    Spoilers safe for people with no interest but may spoil items or locations for others not at the same point as me.
    Spoiler:

That's one little thing I have loads like for example,
    Spoiler:

You said it's all green and brown, well maybe it was in a straight line down the middle but this game goes from most colourful thing ever to muted greys and astonishing weather etc in all areas.
    The area Iv spent loads of time on recently in the spoilers above is really white and you get a real sense of how cold and windy and lonely it is.

The game has made me feel slightly isolated in places and separate from other people and with the theme of connection it's certainly working it's wonders.
    Shame the forum isn't as clever and just leaves the few of us enjoying it isolated to ourselves.

I know it's not for everybody but it in no way deserves the negativity in this thread.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No need to be offended by anything Davie, calm down.

Your examples aren't floating my boat either, it sounds like you're trying to make the combat and traversal fun for yourself but just end up falling on your arse. Again.

I'll have a squint at the most colourful thing ever though as that does sound like an interesting change from the drab nothingness of the rest of the game. Stick a pic in spoiler tags for me.

I don't think you've quite got the gist of the connectivity message of the game if your response is to shut yourself off from any negative opinions on it. Do you want the thread to be a circle jerk blowing smoke up Kojima's arse?
  • I'm ok with any kind of criticism of a piece of media really. It's just when it turns from the game to the people playing it, the disbelief that anyone might be having a good experience with it and the suggestion that they must be; deluded / a shill / a fanboy / or just somehow speaking in bad faith. All that shit really pisses me off. That and the whole 'not even a real game' thing that still goes on is pretty pathetic.

But as long as you're ripping into the actual game and not the people then I think that's fine.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Well I did cross that line earlier in the thread with the fanboy/weeb stuff.

But I'm just trying to understand the appeal. Especially the people who hated it for ten hours then switched to loving it. Maybe Franny will be the one to sum that up for me. It's definitely a game though.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I picked up the shitty stick Tempy had thrown down, quite possibly by the wrong end. Toilet humour innit.

People thought Sea of Thieves had simple, repetitive tasks and didn't get it was the traversel which was a draw for many.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    "Paul wrote:
    But I'm just trying to understand the appeal. Especially the people who hated it for ten hours then switched to loving it. Maybe Franny will be the one to sum that up for me. It's definitely a game though.

I'm only on 8ish hours. Maybe it gets better in a few more hours but that was long enough for me to give it a chance. The first 8 hours I found to be mind numbingly boring. Excruciatingly boring tbh.

There must be something there, from the reviews it's been getting, but right now I'm not willing to waste time on it when I'm enjoying other stuff. It's not like I didn't persevere and give it a chance.

Maybe one to revisit over Christmas or the new year.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    For some reason this game appeals to me, I don't know why. But it doesn't seem to be a thing you can pick up for 20 minutes every now and again either, so I'll probably give it a miss for the moment.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Franny lad, have to admire a person who can do eight hours on something they find dull in the faith it gets better. Wouldn't spend a fraction of that time on anything in that hope. £50 is an investment mind.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Oh I didn't pay for it. Console share with my cousin innit.
  • It'll be interesting to see what people think in a year's time when the shiny cutscene/weird ass story no longer has an impact. And then see what people think about the gameplay if they are still playing. Or if it's consigned to the played it once/great experience/fond memories/never playing it again bin.
  • and some.
    I would say it was quite spoilery so watch out if you want to go in cold.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see what people think in a year's time when the shiny cutscene/weird ass story no longer has an impact. And then see what people think about the gameplay if they are still playing. Or if it's consigned to the played it once/great experience/fond memories/never playing it again bin.

Gamplay seems a bit like RDR but without the awful shooting, which suits me fine.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I feel like a lot of games could do without the 'murder a thousand goons' as filler, so I really hope this is influential on other games in some way. The multiplayer aspect is something I would love to see more of, leaving things behind for others to find. Seems very poignant.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    and some. I would say it was quite spoilery so watch out if you want to go in cold.

I watched the first few minutes and as much as I like Dunkey in general, some of the yucks he's going for seem to involve playing the game counter to intended, like trying to climb impossible inclines or ride a bike over rocks. Both end up being impossible... which seems to be the point? I didn't want any spoilers so tapped out there, but that seems like complaining about not being able to climb in Mario.
  • Bit of both I would say. He has milked it for sure but I have seen streams of people struggling with the vehicles across fairly flat but rocky terrain.
  • Obviously the game might still be shit, but those points seem like real low hanging fruit. In a game about planning your route and taking it, it seems a bit silly to complain that you've chosen a bike to try and go over rough terrain?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Bit of both I would say. He has milked it for sure but I have seen streams of people struggling with the vehicles across fairly flat but rocky terrain.

Yeah I've seem some glitchy stuff too, but like I say it's low hanging fruit for a video.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Bit of both I would say. He has milked it for sure but I have seen streams of people struggling with the vehicles across fairly flat but rocky terrain.

People are like this though, they seem to have been spoilt by easily traversable games for the last few decades or something. Like with Kingdom Come there's people that complain about the thickets of impenetrable bushes that sometimes get in your way, and there's mods to allow you to ghost walk through them. It's as if they've never taken a country walk, impenetrable thickets are a common feature of nature..
  • It is very much a thing that games struggle with though. The idea of inconvenience in a thing you play - where you want as few boundaries and as little friction as possible. It's always something that will be a point of contention (glitches aside) and it's not an issue you can really solve to be honest. People hated the rain in Breath of the Wild I remember - it will alienate as many people as it will draw into the world.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I saw that Dunkey vid last night and although he clearly doesn't like it he's definitely going out if his way to show it in the worst possible light. That's his thing, fair enough, but it's hardly a fair review.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It is very much a thing that games struggle with though. The idea of inconvenience in a thing you play - where you want as few boundaries and as little friction as possible. It's always something that will be a point of contention (glitches aside) and it's not an issue you can really solve to be honest. People hated the rain in Breath of the Wild I remember - it will alienate as many people as it will draw into the world.

Yeah, I'm all for it. If you're going for a real feeling world then little obstacles will add to the detail and immersion.

Actually I think for walking sims and large open games such as this, having a bit of friction and obstacles to surmount is really important. It means you need to keep some attention on where and how you move, and gives you micro challenges of pathfinding and efficiency. Like looking at the landscape ahead of you thinking of how you will tackle it.

Without any of that friction you just have a big flat featureless space that will lose your attention and is more likely to bore.
  • I detect a tiiiiiiiiiny bit of tongue in cheek in his fury, but aye, it's certainly a Take from dunkey. World keeps turning.
  • It is what he does though innit. Anyone going to Dunkey for a serious analysis needs to give their heads a wobble.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!