Death Stranding - Kojima/Reedus
  • I think I played around 80 hours but I went on a bit of a mad one during 2 days off sick this week building roads everywhere. For an entire day I just built roads. Doubt many people would have done that. I've seen videos on YouTube with all of the cutscenes and they are about 7 hours 20 minutes. When you finish the story you can go back into the game world although I'm not particularly inclined to, at present, although I've got a safehouse that's just got over 40,000 likes :D and I feel compelled to keep checking in on it making sure it's not gonna fall to pieces or anything.
  • Nice one pug!

Weirdly enough, I also had a road building session. Pretty much drained all the stuff I could take from the distribution centres but it was worth it. Made the map so much easier to traverse for everyone.
  • Cheers ZMM, good info.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    For an entire day I just built roads. Doubt many people would have done that.

I bet plenty of people have done that, especially if they're putting so much time into it.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    This is a great game in many ways but I never want to hear another Low Roar song in my life.

My tolerance for melancholy manicured facial hair pop was low to begin with but this is almost proving to be too much. Kills the mood, rather than enhances it, every single time.

Indeed it's far too messy artistically to ever come close to what something truly focused like Disco Elysium or Sekiro manages to become - but the gameplay systems and mechanics do contain real brilliance.

It has bounced me off Red Dead Redemption 2 PC, which is also mechanically and gameplay wise rather choresome, but in a without depth sort of way.

Here every step is an adventure that you are in control of.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Yeah, mileage will definitely vary there. I’ll admit I quite like melancholy manicured facial hair pop (wow) and actually quite like when you come over a ridge and then the music fades in. But I can also get that quite a few are gonna roll their eyes at that.

I think the Read Dead 2 comparison is apt - they’re both slow and choresome, Death Stranding possibly even more so, but it really is a case of each step being a thought out action, like you say.
  • I've been avoiding this thread a bit for fear of spoilers but I just wanted to say that I absolutely love this game to pieces. It's been a proper unwind thing for me the last week or so.

The world in this is barren of things to do for sure but it's kind of the point of the whole thing. It's along the same lines as MGS5 in terms of how you exist in the space but just with less shooty shooty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This finally clicked today. I was just chundering along and then Silent Poets came on as I crested a hill. It was lovely. I'm in.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    It's the one moment where the music, and its trigger, actually works fully as intended. No possibility to haste through it, since you just happend to be on a bike going 150 km/h when Low Roar started doing his thing (and thank god for that).

But in that moment there can really only be you, the cargo, and the steep long mountainous slope down to your destination.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Couldn’t find the music more out of place myself. Like a lot of things in this game. It’s even worse it comes up with the track listing etc. It’s ridiculous. Each to their own though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Remember Koj doing that in the MGS games? Coz he sure did.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Remember Koj doing that in the MGS games? Coz he sure did.

That doesn’t make it any better. Low Roar playing something awfully depressing whilst I pick up some samples in an oxygen mask. Yeah, why? Completely out of place and ridiculous. I’ll finish this but I’m looking forward to it being over.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That sounds like the melancholy beautiful hell that is 2019 and I'm here for it.

Also I bet you fucking loved Here's To You.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    That sounds like the melancholy beautiful hell that is 2019 and I'm here for it.

Also I bet you fucking loved Here's To You.

I loved that song!

Don't worry about vere he just hates anything Sony!
    No idea why anyone would keep playing it if there hating it so much.
    and posting spoilers, other people may not have reached that part yet and I know GurtTractor is waiting till pc release to play so have a little thought for others yet to play please.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nah, vere is an absolute Koj boi, he's just been aff him since I think 4. He's definitely done his time with the mad bastard.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Nah, vere is an absolute Koj boi, he's just been aff him since I think 4. He's definitely done his time with the mad bastard.

Haha, I actually even liked 4, it was 5 where he lost me, and that was only really as it requires you to play through the same missions on a higher level to proceed. I still think I must be doing something wrong and that can’t be real...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nah, what has happened is Koj has changed from an experiential gameplay (aka move 5 mins get a banger of a cutscene) to an experimental one (he's got a weird obsessions with systems crashing into each other as per MGSV) which was jarring for me too, and there were certain bits of MGSV where I just wanted the soda drinking monkey.
  • Mgs v was proboubly the better one of them all to play, you could do any single objective in multiple ways.
    And the doing them again was amazing as you had to procure your own weapons and gadgets from enemy encampments and by disarming/holding them up with there own stuff.

Mgs v will be in my game of the gen list quite high.
  • digi wrote:
    Mgs v was proboubly the better one of them all to play, you could do any single objective in multiple ways.
    And the doing them again was amazing as you had to procure your own weapons and gadgets from enemy encampments and by disarming/holding them up with there own stuff.

Probably my most disappointing game this gen.

I don’t want to do them again. I want to follow a story. Even if it’s a batshit mental story and be done with a Kojima game. If I want to go back and do it in a different way then I will, but forcing you to play the same missions again to advance the game is lazy, forcing you to replay them amidst a strong narrative is stupid.
  • You didn't have to play any of the missions again.
  • I can only remember re-playing one or two of the very late game ones, but they were Subsistence variants and a lot of fun.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    digi wrote:
    Mgs v was proboubly the better one of them all to play, you could do any single objective in multiple ways.

Probably my most disappointing game this gen.

I don’t want to do them again. I want to follow a story. Even if it’s a batshit mental story and be done with a Kojima game. If I want to go back and do it in a different way then I will, but forcing you to play the same missions again to advance the game is lazy, forcing you to replay them amidst a strong narrative is stupid.

The thing is it doesn't force anything, it gives you an objective and a bunch of toys to mess with to get it done and it's up to you to make it fun or interesting.
    Of course no one is forcing you to play it though either.

I think we may be polar opposites on what we like in games and that's a good thing really.
    Would be shit and uninteresting if we all liked the same things.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    And I sit in the middle of you two. MGSV is definitely up there with my favourite games of this gen. Death Stranding near the bottom, covered in fluff.
  • I was so close to buying this last week. I ended up getting RE2 instead so that removed the temptation.
  • MoesTavern wrote:
    You didn't have to play any of the missions again.

So I looked this up to see if I had got it wrong and all I can find is either replaying completed missions in different guises or replaying side ops, so what am I missing?

Tempy wrote:
    I can only remember re-playing one or two of the very late game ones, but they were Subsistence variants and a lot of fun.

I just didn’t enjoy them that much, some elements of the game are perfect to me, but too much of it I detest. However I’d have liked to have completed it as I do love MG, but for me MG entries were about the mad linear stories like playing through an action movie.
  • To advance the story you just need to play the missions and listen to the tapes. It's been a while since I played but it's the tapes marked with a yellow dot I think.

The harder repeat missions are entirely optional, for some reason the game doesn't make this clear.
  • And it’s over. Thank god. I’ve enjoyed small pieces but really, it’s just a mess. And feelings towards the end as it should’ve been touching were ruined by the usual dragging on of everything and more. Unhelped by Eurovision type songs and over doing absolutely everything. 44 hours...wow.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kudos for getting past the first 6 or 7.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Kudos for getting past the first 6 or 7.

Just really wanted to finish it, and being on nights followed by my time off I had time spare. But so, so disappointed. Gonna move it on today to get it out of the house.
  • Edge 6
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!