Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d also add that if you read everything the story does make sense.
  • Yeah I would definitely recommend reading the emails and data as soon as you get them so they don't pile up, they do flesh out more of the story and world. You still need to suspend disbelief quite a bit, and I think it helps to consider much of it as being allegorical.

I really liked helping others in the game, and getting tech, info, and other help back. The more you put into it the more you get back.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Absolutely sadists in here.

Its a walking sim where you can fall over sometimes. That's about it.
  • Absolutely sadists in here.

Just like real life according to SG
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Its a walking sim where you can fall over sometimes. That's about it.

If you want to be utterly and absurdly reductionist about it then yeah sure.
  • Absolutely sadists in here.

But that’s a good thing! Why do you fall over in this game? Because you rush, don’t think about things and take things for granted. It’s kind of meditative and calm in a game which, for once, isn’t really about shooting.

It flexes a different muscle.
  • So i am trying to play/complete the "must play" games on my ps4 before hopefully getting a PS5 at Xmas.

DS/Chalice dont like this, others do so it sounds like marmite. Is it really a walking simulator delivering stuff?

Ive still to buy/play LoU2, Nioh2, Uncharted 4, Ghosts of Tsushima, RE3, HZD, Nier Automata. LoU2 and Nioh2 are definates, the rest are if i have time, inclination and money. Im not sure where this sits. I would stick to the main missions for lack of gaming time to get through the story.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd say play all those other games (except U4) and forget that Death Stranding exists and move on.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    So i am trying to play/complete the "must play" games on my ps4 before hopefully getting a PS5 at Xmas.

DS/Chalice dont like this, others do so it sounds like marmite. Is it really a walking simulator delivering stuff? .

Yes. But it’s amazing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I like walking simulators. I like this. It has a sense of place and loneliness like no other game.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message

If you want to be utterly and absurdly reductionist about it then yeah sure.

I wouldn’t worry about DS not liking DS he’s just a shiny RTX Ho.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    So i am trying to play/complete the "must play" games on my ps4 before hopefully getting a PS5 at Xmas.

DS/Chalice dont like this, others do so it sounds like marmite. Is it really a walking simulator delivering stuff?

Ive still to buy/play LoU2, Nioh2, Uncharted 4, Ghosts of Tsushima, RE3, HZD, Nier Automata. LoU2 and Nioh2 are definates, the rest are if i have time, inclination and money. Im not sure where this sits. I would stick to the main missions for lack of gaming time to get through the story.

I’d wait and play this and TLoU2 on PS5.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Is it really a walking simulator delivering stuff?

I was prepared for it to be a pretty stripped back walking sim-esque experience, and was really quite surprised when I discovered just how much there was to do, and how compelling the simple gameplay loop was. It's not just go from point A to point B, it gives the player a lot of agency for choosing your own routes, deciding on what gear to take, and how many jobs to take on. The more responsibility you put on yourself the tricker it can be to make a journey, kind of a clever dynamic difficulty system.

Often the journey will be quite uneventful and you'll get there without a problem, other times it can all go awry and you'll have to improvise or change the plan. Each trip is it's own little story, simultaneously mundane and fantastic.

If you're the sort of person that takes pride in doing a good job and you enjoy the feel of making a difference then this is perhaps one of the most rewarding games out there.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:

I’d wait and play this and TLoU2 on PS5.

Never thought of that. Guess they get upscaled or something. That would shorten my ps4 list somewhat. I may do that. Nice idea.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They will play with a more solid frame rate load fast and there’s the lack of fan noise ;-)
  • I still don't get this idea that there's so much to do in relation to this game. I poodled about for hours and plonked the occasional ladder down. That's about it. Maybe I crouch walked for an eternity through a rainy section with some ghosts. Falling over was about the extent of the action over the course of a session with it. Barely enough to raise a pulse. Even the physicality of Reedus with a Jenga tower on his back is ridiculous. It doesn't feel right, it doesn't look right, and when he starts tripping up and losing balance it's borderline hilarious. I think his movement over arduous terrain is just straight up bad, and has been done far better in other open world games. I just can't understand how people find the fun in such a mundane pursuit as walking in a videogame.

I remember one evening I set a waypoint to somewhere over relatively level ground and just held the left stick up and turned to talk to the missus whilst she was cooking dinner - for whole minutes. I then looked back and saw Reedus still steadily, agonisingly plodding along towards a distant goal and thinking 'fuck this' and shut it down.

@Dino I would play all those other games before playing this but hey you might love it.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Absolutely sadists in here. Its a walking sim where you can fall over sometimes. That's about it.

Eh hello? All I see you playing is Football Manager you blaggard ;)
  • I still don't get this idea that there's so much to do in relation to this game. I poodled about for hours and plonked the occasional ladder down. That's about it. Maybe I crouch walked for an eternity through a rainy section with some ghosts. Falling over was about the extent of the action over the course of a session with it. Barely enough to raise a pulse. Even the physicality of Reedus with a Jenga tower on his back is ridiculous. It doesn't feel right, it doesn't look right, and when he starts tripping up and losing balance it's borderline hilarious. I think his movement over arduous terrain is just straight up bad, and has been done far better in other open world games. I just can't understand how people find the fun in such a mundane pursuit as walking in a videogame.

T3k192w.gif

Which games have better movement? Keeping in mind that it's supposed to be arduous and difficult in DS, Sam isn't a superhuman with endless stamina and strength so it needs to be a struggle to represent that.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    giphy.gif
  • This is a game that is less about things happening to you that you need to react against, like in most other games, and more about you making a plan and executing it in a world full of friction and risk in order to conquer it.
  • Also later areas are full of extremely rough rocky terrain, ravines, mountains, cliffs and waterfalls, plus the crazy folk and ghosts who will rough you up. You can't just press forward and get through that without a bit of forethought.
  • I would say pretty much any decent, recent open world game does movement better than this game but I do take your point about it being an ordeal. BotW and Assassin's Creed spring to mind. Both those games have distinct animations for walking up steep hills and then switching to a climb. In this game that same mechanic is clunky. An example of badly designed movement mechanics are when Sam drops from a ledge. It looks terrible. It's jarring, and it doesn't portray the trauma of such a fall in a good way. The animation for him losing balance is pretty laughable after the umpteenth time too. Repetition really sets in quick. Also, the canned animation of him doing a little side to side shuffle that triggers here and there is just lazy - Sam's connection to the terrain when things get lumpy is just off to me.
  • I dunno, I would say that BotW/Assassin's Creed and almost any other open world game are far more amenable to 'just holding the left stick up' and getting to a destination than this. In this you actually have to pay attention to rocks and inclines or you will stumble and potentially drop all your shit.

Do you do much hiking Chalice? Death Stranding's representation isn't actually that far off from what it's like, certainly a far more detailed approximation of the experience of human locomotion over such terrain than anything we've seen before. In a AAA anyway, there's probably some neat indie tech demo things out there.

Stepping down from ledges in this is fairly legit, in that if you actually try stepping down several feet in real life you will stumble forward in a similar way as Sam does, especially if you are carrying a big weight.

It's far from an accurate simulation, but it's a decently gamefied representation of the experience.
  • I do quite a bit of hiking yeah I love it. I did all 187 miles of the Ridgeway national trail in a week last year. I'm just not sure it transfers to fun in a videogame.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Absolutely sadists in here. Its a walking sim where you can fall over sometimes. That's about it.
    Eh hello? All I see you playing is Football Manager you blaggard ;)

Which is the greatest game series ever and has more depth in one tactics screen than this pile of effluence.
  • I didn’t like it. But...I spent like 50 hours finishing it. What does that mean? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!
  • Absolutely sadists in here. Its a walking sim where you can fall over sometimes. That's about it.
    Just like real life according to SG

True.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I'm coming off the back of playing Bloodborne exclusively for 140 hours and have just passed 30 hours on this - about 6hrs or so has been since BB.

I still haven't finished Chapter 3.

I take my time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!