God of War
  • (Dunno why the vid doesn't seem to load, but here's a GDC talk on GoW level design)
    It's fascinating going back to this video Cinty linked to a couple of pages back in light of playing this now. This level design by metrics is always going to give you good, solid, logical results, but very rarely will it surprise you or deliver anything truly brilliant. You can see it in the layout of every scene of the sequel.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's fascinating going back to this video Cinty linked to a couple of pages back in light of playing this now. This level design by metrics is always going to give you good, solid, logical results, but very rarely will it surprise you or deliver anything truly brilliant. You can see it in the layout of every scene of the sequel.

Yeah, that was my takeaway too - I get why they do it like that, probably super useful when balancing work output for hundreds of people on a 4-5 year project. But it also breaks down games into a series of dependable design principles - this is how dialogue works. This is how areas are set apart.

Seen devs talk about the design of GoW2 and apparently the director laid out an entire spreadsheet covering the whole game e.g. Kratos and Boi enter this area, they talk for x seconds, puzzle here is x type, should take x minutes to solve, character dialogue after puzzle etc. 

From a game dev standpoint I get it - GoW development was brutal and they seemingly managed to turn this one round quickly without heavy crunch. Having a clear path helps. But it also has a real danger of making the game feel over-designed and focus tested - a by the book piece of media, rather than a surprising work of art. 

Also, think I fixed the vid finally. I was an idiot and see my mistake now.
  • Why are people talking about Ubi-bloat? I haven’t looked at the map once, or seen any glowing markers, etc. In fact, you don’t even get a directional marker until the second area of the game and even then, I’ve had one main quest in each realm, and one side - and the sides have been awesome. There’s a seen from one of them in a trailer, but I still won’t spoil it. But the fact they put it in a trailer, and it’s optional, says it’s something they rated.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Im not getting the ubi bloat feeling either and other than the squeezing (!!) I’m thoroughly enjoying the game.

Combat feels great as always, the story has gripped me and the relationship between father and son is still as interesting as it was in the first game.

It’s been a while since I’ve been looking forward to getting all my stuff done and diving back into the game on a daily basis.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep I did think the side quest I did last night was surprisingly full featured with cut scenes and dialogue for something that could be skipped.
  • Got to the first big area after a couple of hours. So far, very by the numbers and the combat feels slow and clunky after having played some Bayo 3, but that’s standard. Not a criticism, just that it’s not easy coming from one to the other. 

Anyway. I’m sure it’ll slowly get better and better. I’m looking forward to more skills, upgraded weapons, and harder bosses. And different bosses. BRING IT.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I wouldn't call it Ubi-bloat, but there's a lot of stuff to collect in fairly uninteresting ways. But that was there in the first game as well.
  • It’s a bit of a series staple though, isn’t it? The first games had floating orbs all over the shop. This - and 2018 - took a different path and had them as floor collectables and also the chest, which have always been in the game.

I think it’s a balancing tool. There’s lots of regular chests that you can open for resources and cash, but the hard lot get chests, behind environmental puzzles, have tended to give me more challenge and also better rewards. However, the moment you give the player choice, you need to balance the game. I think they’ve done it really well.
  • Picking up now I'm in the first big open area and doing optional stuff. I actually was surprised by something that just happened, so that's nice.
  • Im not getting the ubi bloat feeling either and other than the squeezing (!!) I’m thoroughly enjoying the game. Combat feels great as always, the story has gripped me and the relationship between father and son is still as interesting as it was in the first game. It’s been a while since I’ve been looking forward to getting all my stuff done and diving back into the game on a daily basis.

I wish they'd do away with all the crafting and upgrades and move unlocks.. Just give it to me straight like a pear cider.
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Picking up now I'm in the first big open area and doing optional stuff. I actually was surprised by something that just happened, so that's nice.

I was playing a side quest late last night and had a proper jump scare the buggers! I was a bit tired but it certainly woke me up.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Im not getting the ubi bloat feeling either and other than the squeezing (!!) I’m thoroughly enjoying the game. Combat feels great as always, the story has gripped me and the relationship between father and son is still as interesting as it was in the first game. It’s been a while since I’ve been looking forward to getting all my stuff done and diving back into the game on a daily basis.
    I wish they'd do away with all the crafting and upgrades and move unlocks.. Just give it to me straight like a pear cider.

The crafting menu is a little overwhelming….must be my old brain!
  • So do you have to have played the first one till the end? I played the first for a few hours but didn’t carry on (I seem to do that way too much) I enjoyed it but I’m always attracted to the new shiny all the time.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    So do you have to have played the first one till the end? I played the first for a few hours but didn’t carry on (I seem to do that way too much) I enjoyed it but I’m always attracted to the new shiny all the time.

There is a catch-up you can watch from the menu which explains what’s gone on in the previous game.

But, if you’ve bounced of the first, this is more of the same, so you may bounce again.
  • I have no fucking idea what the story is other than go here for this man oh he’s not here so let’s go there. There’s probably a gig for this tbh.
  • HE ISNT THERE? SPOILERS!!!
  • Changed the settings to automatically pick up health and rage bar refills. It's really helpful.
  • I have no fucking idea what the story is other than go here for this man oh he’s not here so let’s go there. There’s probably a gig for this tbh.

Your princess is in another castle!
  • JonB wrote:
    Changed the settings to automatically pick up health and rage bar refills. It's really helpful.

Untill your at full health on a boss and he takes them anyway?
    (That was my thinking on not changing it)

Love how anything you forget to pick up gets put in a chest next to smithys.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    So do you have to have played the first one till the end? I played the first for a few hours but didn’t carry on (I seem to do that way too much) I enjoyed it but I’m always attracted to the new shiny all the time.

There is a catch-up you can watch from the menu which explains what’s gone on in the previous game.

But, if you’ve bounced of the first, this is more of the same, so you may bounce again.

I enjoyed it but started playing something else and don’t go back that’s all.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • digi wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Changed the settings to automatically pick up health and rage bar refills. It's really helpful.
    Untill your at full health on a boss and he takes them anyway? (That was my thinking on not changing it)
    You should be fine. He doesn't pick them up when the bar is full.
  • Dayum, didn’t know that. That’s me changing the setting then.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Died beautifully last night. Threw axe into a poison plant then followed up with arrow and got axe back. While opening chest I died in the cloud as the arrow failed (didn’t realise this happened) and used my resurrection stone and then immediately died again. Brilliant.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Dayum, didn’t know that. That’s me changing the setting then.

Me too.
    I also changed my roll/evade around from x to o because I had been playing elden previously and was more used to that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep that X to avoid still messes with my head but not changing it now.
  • I like the way I’m a big tank god man who sometimes gets killed by tiny little snake things whilst my computer son who isn’t a big god tank prances around being all invincible. There’s something I find oddly amusing about this massive slab of god who is meant to be almost indestructible getting revived by a little kid who survived the same amount of danger and can now make me better.
  • Becouse he's better than you?

Sounds like your not enjoying it so why force it?
  • Everyone is better than me at games.  That wasn’t actually a criticism really.  There’s no way around it from a design pov but I just think it looks quite funny that this massive lunk of a god is being revived by a child who finds himself in the same situation.  It’s more amusing when it’s a tiny standard enemy that’s brought me down too.
  • When does this revival take place ? I keep dying
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    When does this revival take place ? I keep dying

It's a tough game, especially later on.
    About revivals..
    Spoiler:

I just hit the credits.
    Game of the year!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!