For Honor
‹ Previous123456713
  • For Honor

Ubisoft Montreal    14/02/17    PC/PS4/XBO

Set in an alternative medieval period where knights, samurai and vikings have been locked in a three-way war for a thousand years, For Honor is a third-person perspective, hand-to-hand combat brawler.  You'll play as a character from three different factions; The Legion (knights), The Chosen (samurai), and The Warborn (vikings). As well as the three different character styles, which will largely dictate weapon choices and fighting styles, you will also be able to customise your character.

The game features competitive multiplayer modes that can support up to eight players, who will be split evenly into two different teams, and supported by AI bots (this would appear to be both 'boss' types of similar abilities to the players, and the numerous fodder who make up the armies.  There will also be a single player campaign.

The game uses a tactical combat system, which they've called the "Art of Battle".  Characters enter a dueling mode, and the player can choose how to place and position their weapons when they are attacking their enemies.  Much like Bushido Blade's 'Motion Shift' system, your stance dictates the moves available to you, and you can read your opponent's stance to get an idea of how they plan to strike you, allowing you to adjust your defensive tactics accordingly.

Anyone else excited about this?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Meh. Not hugely.
  • Set in an open world with collectibles and towers....
    The Forum Herald™
  • One bad guy attacking at a time? Dark Souls says hi.
    Looks pretty but the combat looks a bit sluggish.
    Will keep an eye on it.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • One bad guy attacking at a time?

Even the grunts have their honour.
  • This looked good when they showed what looked like a mediaeval team based competitive 3D brawler at E3 2015, but now it looks like generic ubisoft trash, fucking samurai vs knights vs vikings Jesus fuck the tropes are rill.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • why is it spelt incorrectly?
  • Bloody Americans.
  • They shoulda made For Honor in honour of Honor 

pussy-galore-honor-blackman.jpg
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Roujin wrote:
    This looked good when they showed what looked like a mediaeval team based competitive 3D brawler at E3 2015, but now it looks like generic ubisoft trash, fucking samurai vs knights vs vikings Jesus fuck the tropes are rill.

When I first saw it I only saw knights versus vikings. I seem to remember the samurai being mentioned early doors but I confess, despite usually enjoying a bit of samurai action, that's the bit I'm least sure of.

Somebody mentioned Souls. I get that, to an extent, but the combat in this looks meatier / more solid imho. It looks like the combat controls are a bit broader. I may well be wrong.
  • Controls were somewhat contextual were they not, which could be amazing or awful.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm getting Dynasty Warriors and Nioh. It's not floating my boat to be honest, the samurai holding his shield above his head was a particularly disappointing moment.

What was that army shooter where you could hot swap between different soldiers, snipers, guys flying a chopper etc.? I'd prefer this to be like that, but with realistic damage, momentum on swings, proper physics in play, and if you die you end up controlling someone else in the fight.

I'm bored of being the guy that kills five people with 25 strokes while taking seven in return and not having any lasting damage. Imagine starting the fight, kitting out a berserker with two hand axes instead of a shield, steaming into a shield wall and killing two guys before being skewered by the guy behind them. A glorious death, it's opened a gap which the lads behind you pour through with the unprotected backs of the enemy defenders within easy striking distance.
  • Andy wrote:

Somebody mentioned Souls. I get that, to an extent, but the combat in this looks meatier / more solid imho. It looks like the combat controls are a bit broader. I may well be wrong.

Nah. The combat doesn't look great. its needs to do a hell if a lot to get closer to Souls than what it is now.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I'm getting Dynasty Warriors and Nioh. It's not floating my boat to be honest, the samurai holding his shield above his head was a particularly disappointing moment. What was that army shooter where you could hot swap between different soldiers, snipers, guys flying a chopper etc.?
    Battlefield 2:Modern Combat - shame on you.

The video didn't look great, dark, but layers of highlights over everything so you can see what's happening. Getting the right balance between hardcore for brawler fans and easy enough for the casual audience will be a nightmare.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Heh, I thought that, but dismissed it. Was it only on the Xbox version? A sop to the console players who wanted a campaign?
  • Yeah, MP was pretty different as well, wasn't really the same game. I loved it at the time, but I don't know that it would stand up.

The demo might still be on the 360 store actually.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I remember playing the demo and loads of middle aged American PC nerds rocked up and were pretty full on with the military jargon. It was fucking great.

Sorry for the derail, someone please tell me that the game I'm dreaming about above is in development somewhere.
  • 7b92bd98a9d94edee7c6ce2909a2c955.jpg

"A game? For me? How delightful!"
  • Looks like a '70s martial arts flick.
  • 9 posts too late chump, AND you chose a worse picture.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Nah. The combat doesn't look great. its needs to do a hell if a lot to get closer to Souls than what it is now.

Horses for courses. I prefer the look of this, and would rather it kept well clear of being Soulsy.
  • As I said. The combat looks shoddy, so you're on course there.
  • God damn it every bit of trailer I see for this after its initial reveal looking like it was a multiplayer, multi team brawl em up pisses me off.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Rouj for berserker confirmed. Aye, all we wanted was team-deathmatch with Bushido Blade-style mechanics in a Dyn Warriors hat. Coulda been amazing.
  • This has split screen support across all modes, apparently, has this been mentioned?  It's back on the radar for me.
  • I've got 1 spare alpha invite for this if anyone is interested.  I'll need your uplay username.
  • Never saw this. Still available? It's adkm1979.
  • I think the game over screen should have a link to the appropriate store for dishonored
  • What a shit way of giving other people a alpha key , why not give people 3 keys instead having to be friends on uplay and they get the email invite - that never turns up
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Yeah, I've had issues with uPlay's emails; specifically, if you want to change email address, they say they'll email you a link, but it never arrives. Obviously the way the rest of the world does it is no use, eh.
‹ Previous123456713

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!