For Honor
  • Yeah I'm not sure which one to get it on. Its a shame it doesn't have crossplay as there doesn't appear to be much of a difference between controller and M&KB.
  • To those that have Souls and fighting game experience (3D I guess, maybe Soul Calibre is the closest?), does it play like which more? Or maybe it's its own thing completely, it's hard to get a sense from the vids. It looks a little sluggish, like the moves have that kind of canned animation thing in the fighting that I didn't like in Witcher 3. Conflicted on what I think of this so far, just need to play it really.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    My guy is slow, but there are other characters who are quick little bastards. It's very Souls like for me, one mistake and you're punished. The guard/stance thing is great, as you're not just turtling up and blocking everything but looking to match stance to block, parry and counter. Dodging and punishing works well if your opponent is greedy, positioning can win you a fight.

As for the canned animation, you're right and wrong there. It's the same attack each time you use RT (heavy) and RB (light) depending on stance, but it's nothing like The Witcher/Batman/Mordor combat where you'll fling out an attack to match the range and position of your enemies. If you whiff you'll be punished, the game won't close ground for you.

It's hard to tell what's going on from videos, even when you're playing it can be hard to read every hit of that four stroke combo you've just been caught with, and even when you know what's coming (hello there Samurai unblockable overhead) you need to be calm and time your action accordingly. Too many times I flap when rushed, I like to press the pace myself.

I've been thinking about it all day, I'd love to dabble in other characters. The morning star guy in particular, he seems like a total dickhead.

• Cheers. The feedback here and elsewhere does seem really positive so this is one to watch for sure.
  • The guard/stance thing is great,

Indeed it is, although it's a pity that both it and the camera have to be mapped to the same stick; I'm sure I'll get used to it, but just now I keep wildly losing control of the camera during dominion. In general, though, I'm finding it's my least favourite mode; the fact that there's only one area where the troops congregate, the difficulty at times of picking out your opposing team, and (my fault) losing control of the camera. 2v2 has been my favourite mode so far, and I'd like (but am unlikely) to see 3v3.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Agree with all of that. The camera might be an issue with Dominion, but as you say that mode is pretty shit, especially in comparison to Duel/Brawl. Before playing I'd have said Dominion would have been my favourite mode, but it's just a mess. Fighting in the shield wall is as clumsy as I'd imagine the real thing to be, props for realism but it's not fun, so you're left fighting duels on the periphery anyway.
  • Apparently they're having an open beta for this from the 9th to 12th.
  • Also it should be pointed out the O button is a cancel which can be implemented to pull out of the heavy animations. Some of the more top tier play I've seen thus far revolves around feinting heavy swings and lunges in to dash up lights or Guard Breaks.

Also as Paul mentioned, it may look a bit clunky but the combos all have actual timing, mashing doesn't get you anywhere. Especially when you consider to open people up you'll need to move from Up, Left and Right with your attacks. So it's a way more deliberate way of attacking. If someone comes in and just wails three hits in the same position they're just making it easy for you to defend as well as opening themselves up for a parry.

As for the Soul Caliber likeness, I'd say it's like taking all the nuances of a 3D fighter but packaging them in to a Souls game system. The fighter mindset is what will come in real handy here, not necessarily any leet skill you may have in Tekken etc. It's definitely it's own thing.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • So in duel mode you can lock on to opponent, and then it's right stick to move into 3 different stances, then light attack with bumper, heavy with trigger?

Parry and block with different buttons or is it timing? And is left stick purely moving character or does it modify attacks?

Also, the on screen hud, when you're defending an attack, is the red stance Icon helping you know where the attack is coming from?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I realised when I was trying one of the attacks I found success with (knight, heavy right followed by heavy up) that I often wasn't giving enough time to switch stance. Obviously, to land a blow, you really need to switch from a certain stance just prior, and timing is key.

I need to try more stuff in the tutorial. At one point, in a desperate bid to avoid getting thumped, I thing I pressed X then R1 and found myself leaping up and away. It was maybe a borked attack, but it was a great defence. I didn't spend enough time looking at the moveset.
  • Facewon wrote:
    So in duel mode you can lock on to opponent, and then it's right stick to move into 3 different stances, then light attack with bumper, heavy with trigger?
    Yup.

Facewon wrote:
    Parry and block with different buttons or is it timing? And is left stick purely moving character or does it modify attacks?
    You block by holding your right stick to mirror their stance, and where their attack is coming from. You parry by hitting right trigger just before their strike lands.

Facewon wrote:
    Also, the on screen hud, when you're defending an attack, is the red stance Icon helping you know where the attack is coming from?
    Yup.
  • Cheers. Just wanted to be sure so I know a little of what I'm watching.

That seems pretty intuitive.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Also it should be pointed out the O button is a cancel which can be implemented to pull out of the heavy animations. Some of the more top tier play I've seen thus far revolves around feinting heavy swings and lunges in to dash up lights or Guard Breaks.

Also as Paul mentioned, it may look a bit clunky but the combos all have actual timing, mashing doesn't get you anywhere. Especially when you consider to open people up you'll need to move from Up, Left and Right with your attacks. So it's a way more deliberate way of attacking. If someone comes in and just wails three hits in the same position they're just making it easy for you to defend as well as opening themselves up for a parry.

As for the Soul Caliber likeness, I'd say it's like taking all the nuances of a 3D fighter but packaging them in to a Souls game system. The fighter mindset is what will come in real handy here, not necessarily any leet skill you may have in Tekken etc. It's definitely it's own thing.

Aye, it's nearly impossible to defend against that caper. In my video you can see Nexx feint into guard break, couple of swipes. He was a gentleman in that clip though, eased off a bit and let me catch my breath.

Best defence I had for it was a walloping great heavy attack as they close, the Warlord doesn't get knocked out of his heavies and the trade almost always favours him due to the big damage he deals. Once they get inside it's a bit messy, I flap too much.

Can't get this game out of my head.
  • Should've also said, the left stick does alter the strikes, but the only thing I've confirmed is that pulling back while you heavy strike causes a sort of jump back and swipe, like buying yourself some space. I've not investigated beyond that.
  • Yeah best way I found explaining it to folks was: Left Stick is legs, Right Stick is torso. So using the left for global positioning, advancing, pulling back as well as using X(PS4) to do little side steps, back or forward dashes depending on your class.

Whilst doing that you have right stick to match the red indicator telling you where the attack is coming from as well as moving your own weapon about to go on the offensive. R1/R2 are light and heavy respectively and to parry you just need the right stick in the correct position to defend their attack and then tap R2 as their attack lands.

It all feels a bit of a mindfuck when you first start, but once it clicks it feels super intuitive and slick.

I hear you Paul, the GB defence is real tricky, I've bought an Elite controller for PC just so I can have GB and Cancel on paddles on the back so I don't need to take my thumb off the right stick at all.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I reckon dodge and GB on the paddles would suit me more, especially for the reflex GB counter.

This is all theory of course, the art of paddling remains a mystery.
  • I reckon dodge and GB on the paddles would suit me more, especially for the reflex GB counter. This is all theory of course, the art of paddling remains a mystery.

This is what I have.  Dodge on the left paddle and guard break on the right.  I've also switched B to LB to make it easier to feint.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Major Last of the Mohicans spoiler ahead:
    Spoiler:
  • Apparently there'll be an open beta running 9-12th, so all can get a taste.
  • My guy is slow, but there are other characters who are quick little bastards.
    This sounds really good, encouraging that the characters feel really different. I'm all about that asymmetric balance in a fighter.
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Also it should be pointed out the O button is a cancel which can be implemented to pull out of the heavy animations. Some of the more top tier play I've seen thus far revolves around feinting heavy swings and lunges in to dash up lights or Guard Breaks. Also as Paul mentioned, it may look a bit clunky but the combos all have actual timing, mashing doesn't get you anywhere. Especially when you consider to open people up you'll need to move from Up, Left and Right with your attacks. So it's a way more deliberate way of attacking. If someone comes in and just wails three hits in the same position they're just making it easy for you to defend as well as opening themselves up for a parry. As for the Soul Caliber likeness, I'd say it's like taking all the nuances of a 3D fighter but packaging them in to a Souls game system. The fighter mindset is what will come in real handy here, not necessarily any leet skill you may have in Tekken etc. It's definitely it's own thing.

Nice write up man, I'm pretty hype.
  • Open beta trailer

Looks the same as the closed beta but with the elimination gametype added (4vs4 with no ai)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm eager to get stuck in so that'll be my calling.
  • Nexx wrote:
    elimination gametype added (4vs4 with no ai)

Saw that earlier. This pleases me.
  • I read Elimination is like Counter Strike, so no respawns. Could be epic.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    And Roujin still won't entertain it. The stubborn 40° washman.

Won't even play It Came from the Desert, Pez.
  • Well his loss, game is awesome and streams well to boot. Sort it out Rouj, open beta it at least.
  • I said I'd try the demo! I just FUCKING HATE the stupid Knights vs Vikings vs Samurai stylings is all.

Talk of 4 vs 4 no respawn mode sounds more like what I wanted after watching that initial E3 video.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Well it has an amusing intro which takes a crack at establishing some sort of lore.... Seriously though, it's really good fun, reckon you'll dig.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!