The Moving House Thread
  • Isn't the money kept in that third party deposit scheme thing? Don't they have a dispute resolution process that doesn't involve solicitors?
  • Don't let the fucker shaft you. Absolutely hate that shit. We got fucked out of a chunk of our deposit when we moved out of rented accom.

Fight it tooth and nail!

http://m.england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/tenancy_deposits/getting_your_deposit_back/return_of_a_tenancy_deposit_when_a_tenancy_ends

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yes, thankfully it's in a DPS scheme.

That's great TD, very useful. As far as we're concerned, the onus is on him to prove his allegations. We've got evidence from the letting agent report and receipts from a cleaning company to prove we up kept the state of the place.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Fun times for all, congrats to all who have moved. Hope you got your money G.

We are moving in 2 weeks. Landlord hinted at selling a while back, we've been renting directly through him, and he's a lovely bloke. He didn't want to sell, but up keep and his work and Reno on his actual house are killing him.

Good news is this put us front and centre with the real estate he's selling through around the corner.

Helps them if he sells, and helps him sell if we have somewhere to go, and he's basically guilt tripped the real estate agent anyway.

I went and saw a total of 1 house. The missus checked out 3 or 4. Found an absolute fav, literally around the corner, and the deal is done. Fully heated and they're putting in brand new connections for pretty much everything.

Already has brand new stove/oven and dish washer. I'll basically be working or coaching the whole time and Mrs face is on everything.

I only just saw it this morning, after signing paperwork.

So bizarre.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nice one, Face! Congrats to you and the missus.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Goodo Faceo.

I am also moving, back to Melbs and not only that, back into the very same apartment I used to live in a few years ago which had literally just come up for rent and bingo bango I nabbed it again.  lanlord was delighted to have me back and I beat 11 groups to it cos they were opening it that night but aha got to be swift to beat old Skrtzo.  Didn't need to view any properties, such a relief.  Facen, come round for finals unless it's Syd v Geel in which case mayber not.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Mayber. Weekends are my most mental time these days. Saturdays are basically 12 hrs coaching or driving to coaching.
  • Day before proper move. Thankfully we've had access to new place since Friday. And it's around the corner. About 20 carloads in. Removalists will do all the heavy lifting.
  • Most of the hard stuff done. But Jesus. About to start an on going battle with Telstra around getting cable installed.
  • Heh. Good luck with that! Glad it's going well mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I also just moved house. Renting, as always, but in campus now so I'm closer to my classroom. It's a nice place, I'm really happy with it.

Also, nice one Face.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I also just moved, as in today, right now. Back in my old to-the-manor-born hood, just as I remember it. Melbourne I am in you.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • 2 hours on the phone with Telstra. Have torn strips off 2 call centres so far. Am now in chadstone shopping centre because their in store staff are awesome. As are their on site techs.

And the actual cable connection and service once it's installed.

How they fuck up installation quite so much, and in exactly the same way every time, is beyond me.

• Someone tell me if I'm crazy here.

We have been on a $100 a month deal which is now up to 1tb a month dl limit. Very nice up and down speeds. No real issues with drop outs.

We move house. There's gonna be a month without cable internet and they need to get a third party in to dig a trench etc. This apparently not a "fault" so we have to ring the call centre ask to be given a 4g wifi dongle thing (I just pre-empted them and got one from a store, because their in store staff know the deal.)

But here's the kicker. Apparently their idea of good customer service is to make me ring them every time I go through 5gig of "prepaid" data.

Do these fucking dangles self-destruct if they have more than 20gig of data added at once?

My entire argument is: just give me - if not my usual limit - some reasonable amount of data so I can comfortably use the internet while they sort out installation.

This seems so basic it baffles me. Their techs are great, and they rely on them for making the decision as to what needs to happen with an install, so just give them a fucking dongle with 100 gig of data.

They can then say, hey, you need a trench dug, it takes a while, here's something to see you through. If you run out of data before the trench is sorted then ring the call centre ONCE, and they'll add more. Jobs a good un.

Wtaf.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Telstra are the original mum and dad telco provider who preys on ignorance and likes to pretend this shit is magic and data must be carefully doled out else it will eventually run out.  This is why I've been with Internode for ten years.
  • Yep. Wouldn't be with Telstra if cable wasn't best option for our area. Thanks Malcolm, you fucking ass bandit.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    He's gay?!
  • Casual homophobia is a bit shit. Totes accidental. I promise guv. Was channelling old Atkinson stand up.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ah, then by all means carry on. I much preferred his earlier version. Kosygin, you're in charge.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Man it's weird being in a place you used to live in but haven't been in for years. Same place as you attended for futbols Face.
  • At least you'll know where the bodies are buried...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Two, one is a bit hazy.
  • And that's the first 5 gig gone.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Thanks Malcolm, you fucking ass bandit.

I thought his name was Greg?
  • Skerret wrote:
    Telstra are the original mum and dad telco provider who preys on ignorance and likes to pretend this shit is magic and data must be carefully doled out else it will eventually run out.  This is why I've been with Internode for ten years.

Isn't internode now owned by iinet which is now owned by tpg or some such? I changed to Optus partly because internode quality waned some and also because I could get a good bundle deal.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ah I unno, I'm too old and too well paid to worry about this anymore
  • Hey home owners, considering putting an offer in on a house and have a few questions I'm hoping some of you can help with:

On viewing this particular property the agent said that it was previously under offer, but that the buyer pulled out as he claims he found traces of damp. No official record of damp has been made, and on viewing we couldn't see any or smell any in the air.

We're fine to pay the cost to fix any damp that is found as the property is in a great location and ticks nearly all of our boxes (we have it in our budget to carry out this work and are will of course not buy without having the finances in place to carry out anything that's required).

A search online suggests that for worst cases this could be around £3 - 4k for a terraced house, does this sound right? In addition, once we carry out work to repair and prevent future damp (if needed), will this be a sure-fix, or is it one of those things that will likely always be a recurring problem (I've read most damp proofing will give 10 yr guarantees)?

On a different note, I'm presuming that if we make an offer and it's rejected in favour of a higher bid, the owner is under no obligation to accept a second round of offers? I've read of sealed bids but don't feel this is one of those as there's no 'bid in a sealed envelope' request. In short we're considering over-bidding, if we go for it, to try to ensure we win, but on the other hand I'm concerned this may show too much hand early on. I dunno - best recommendations for bidding tactics is what I'm asking. We'd hate to lose out on the property because we bid lower than our max.

Any help a big triple thumbs up (y) (y) (y)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!