Olympics Rio 2016: Pass the наркотик
  • regmcfly wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    This is going to be the most interesting games ever: Olympians will ‘literally be swimming in human crap,’ scientists say
    Brazil is a nightmare for the runs.  Don't drink the water. Don't have ice in drinks because it's made with the tap water. Salad will also have been washed with tap water. Basically everything will give you the shits and you need to take a crate of Loperimide with you.
    When we were in Venezuela there was 2 things people queued for - 1) petrol 2) water
    Yeah, I'd drink the petrol before I'd drink the tap water. :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The Olympics will essentialy be the starting point of two tier humanity. Mark my words.
  • I thought that was brexit.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Three tier then. Who said you could talk to me?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Can I talk to you Sir Lord Griff?
  • Until the Olympics, yes.
  • I wasn't talking to you, I was talking at you!
  • Opening Ceremony anyone? 
    It's quite clever in it's use of video, but it's not been particularly memorable so far.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm recording it. I'll give it a watch tomorrow if I'm bored.
  • It's alright. Colourful.
  • Hmmmm, fifty minutes in and we're onto the the athletes parade. I know they were intentionally doing it on a low budget, but that really was pretty forgettable stuff.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Can't be doing with the English commentary to these. It's people dapping about for entertainment, but of course we always dig up the travails of our ancestors, embellishing them with big talk of storms, epic journeys, and murderous protectors of sheep.

As if those people dreamt that one day their efforts'd be remembered via interpretative dance in a televised ceremony, featuring - I'unno - plastic boulders or whatever it is this year. Entertainment, yes, but just get on with it!

Same with the fireworks in London every NYE - ‘but what do the colours and patterns signify?!’ Asked no-one.
  • Escape wrote:
    Can't be doing with the English commentary to these. It's people dapping about for entertainment, but of course we always dig up the travails of our ancestors, embellishing them with big talk of storms, epic journeys, and murderous protectors of sheep.

I expect that's all part of press sheets, though - the organisers will prepare a cheat sheet on the significance of each part and the commentators are just cribbing from that. If you wanna go after pretension, sure, but I expect that's the pretension of whoever put together the opening ceremony.
  • Opening ceremonies aren't really spectator events. Surely a seemingly endless line of people waving flags is of no interest to anyone other than those taking part.
  • Never been a fan of opening ceremonies. Doesn't sound like I missed much with this one either.

I'm still hyped for these games despite all the bollocks that's been going on.

The men's road race could be a highlight today.
  • They're not generally great television, but they are usually great to be at with a television camera.
    That even makes the athletes parade special because you get to see the excitement and wonder in the athletes first hand in incredible detail. It's not something that really translates to tv, but it's pretty magical if you're actually there.
    It's their moment, and you get to eavesdrop on it, so to speak.
  • Brazil is mental. Spent three months over there travelling about. So dodgy. My mate was robbed twice, once at gunpoint, the other by knife. Copacabana is exciting. Especially when the Rolling Stones played the free gig on the beach. Cops with tear gas, pickpockets everywhere. Rio in general is just batshit crazy.

You have no choice but too party when Carnaval comes around. Everything shuts down. Every street filled with thousands of revelers. Best be prepared.

Cab drivers are advised not to stop at red lights after dark. You can imagine the thrill rides I ended up in. One evening we got caught up in an all out car chase between rival gangs - guns being waved out the window and everything. Proper hairy.

I made it out unscathed apart from a shakedown by bent cops that cost us $500 US dollar. Cunts.

The one time I did get mugged was in Quito, Equador. That was really not fun. Could have ended up in a shallow grave and was very lucky.

Time of my life.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've come to the opinion that the Olympics should be considering scaling down anyhow and not just with respect to the the ceremonial bit. It has got a bit out of hand. Overall the crippling costs mean a reducing number of states can afford to host them - and that can't be good.That stadium looks like an ornate cake at a pauper's wedding.

The ceremony was all right and that's all it has to be.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • They've got the scenery for this road race anyway.
  • Lovely init!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Background to the early sculling rounds is gorgeous.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The end of this road race has been cracking. Caught some... enjoyable beach volleyball earlier too. BBC's set up seems top notch so far.
  • It's all about the handball for me. The Olympics hasn't truly begun until we get some tasty handball action.
  • Great ending to that race. You'd struggle to script that.
  • Thought the opening ceremony was bobbins. I was moved to tears by London 2012's one.
  • The sound supervisors fucked it. It was a colourful, if stripped back, production, but you just couldn't hear any of the sound.
    There are two reasons for this.

The main OBS sound supervisor fucked his mix by going for an audience atmos sound mix that leaned far too heavily on the atmos side of things. This was a big mistake as it put all the music too low in his mix so you really couldn't hear most of it. Any sound mixer worth their salt would have blended the atmos mix with a direct feed of the music.

Then to compound an already dreadful mix, the BBC sound supervisor took the lazy option and just left the bbc commentary mics faded up for the entire duration so the comms could just prattle on whenever they felt like it. These mics were also overpoweringly loud in the bbc's mix which just fucked what little was left from the already poor OBS mix.

Lazy, lazy BBC. They always fuck events by doing this. The director should be cueing his commentary team when he thinks its appropriate for them to speak, leaving his sound supervisor to actually balance the mics against the OBS mix.
    BBC are fannies though, so they've just faded everything up and then sat back to watch the ceremony rather than do a decent job.

When the Brazilian team entered a rammed stadium to rapturous applause and music and singing and general awesomeness, you couldn't actually hear any of it.

fannies

g.man
  • g for Director General of Auntie.
  • Heh. First thing I'd do would be fire virtually everyone :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!